Why become a member? ×

My new Maruszczyk---"nitro gloss"?

Radchenko

Inmediately after I received the Bass, I send him this pictures and wrote him this email add. And he answered me this, add.

The scratch in the back of the body is not important for me (he told me he was going to record a video). It wasn't me unpacking for sure. It's ok.

The, "glue"? on the frets it's ok. Neck is beautiful, maybe the nicest I've ever see.

The gloss in the nitro it's ok. I don't know It, maybe my fault.

But the little crack on the body it's not ok for me.

I don't know what is going to do, he days "Nobody in the whole world  offer such a big custom shop". 

I hope for good news. Thank you for your help 

IMG_20200703_162332.jpg

IMG_20200703_162205.jpg

Screenshot_2020-07-05-16-49-15-060_com.google.android.gm.png

Screenshot_2020-07-05-16-48-06-263_com.google.android.gm.png

IMG_20200703_162433.jpg

7 minutes ago, Grahambythesea said:

I think this is a problem of the neck width. Did you specify a width like a Jazz? P pickups are generally designed to fit wider Precision type necks. If you look at the Moollon in the next thread, the strings are perfectly central to the poles.

Yes it's jazz width, but 19mm Bridge.

5 minutes ago, Burns-bass said:

This discussion goes on forever. There’s no need for the string to be over the middle of the pickup poles and on most basses it doesn’t. It’s not a failure of the builder or a shifted neck.

Ok, good news then 🙂

Thank you.

32 minutes ago, Burns-bass said:

This discussion goes on forever. There’s no need for the string to be over the middle of the pickup poles and on most basses it doesn’t. It’s not a failure of the builder or a shifted neck.

This.

Although I understand people who don’t like the aesthetic (legitimately, we’re all somewhere on the spectrum right?!). Solution? blade style pickups.....simples.

Si

Edited by Sibob
  • Like 1

The problem here is that he should be trying to fix your problem not raise more issues.

You are entitled to a full refund if you’re unhappy and he has to oblige you. If you paid PayPal or with your credit card you can force a refund. I’d do this if I were unhappy.

• Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, Radchenko said:

Inmediately after I received the Bass, I send him this pictures and wrote him this email add. And he answered me this, add. 

Screenshot_2020-07-05-16-48-06-263_com.google.android.gm.png

It’s not exactly the kindest customer service email reply I’ve seen...

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

31 minutes ago, therealting said:

No, it’s not.....but it’s not exactly the nicest customer email either IMHO. Of course if someone isn’t happy, that’s fine, and the onus is on the builder to remain calm and helpful, but I see both sides.

To me, looks like a normal nitro finish. Foam in the truss rod cavity? Come on, it’s clearly just to plug it, take it out if you don’t like it lol. ‘Things in the fingerboard wood’? What things? You mean the kinda whitish stuff in the Rosewood pores? Welcome to open-pore wood....it’s completely normal. Scratches in the back, yeah not ideal, but welcome to nitro, nobody buys a nitro finished bass and gets annoyed and scratches and bumps.

So absolutely bring up the fissure at the neck pocket, but to me, the initial customer email (with quite an attacking vibe quite frankly) was largely unwarranted. I wager that if the OP had led with only that as an issue (and not all the other unwarranted stuff), Adrian’s reply would have been more helpful.

Basically, choose your battles.
(Foam in the truss rod cavity 🙄 lol)

Si

Edited by Sibob
  • Like 6

Strings don’t have to align over the poles as the vibrations of the string will be picked up by the magnets when you play. I have a jazz bass that’s like this and it plays absolutely fine :)

The damages on the Maruszcyk is not good. I would ask Adrian to give you some money back for the imperfections or send the bass back for a 100% full refund. The customer service reply from him is absolutely terrible too. This puts me right off from wanting to order from him... might go with a Kiesel now.

• Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, therealting said:

Yeah that last line isn't great. As we know Adrian can come across quite brusque on email, I always put this down to being lost in translation, plus him being backed up as the sole contact for anything Marus' related.

I've never heard of anyone just being dumped by them though - I'm sure he'll work something out if you're absolutely not happy. 

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Sibob said:

Scratches in the back, yeah not ideal, but welcome to nitro, nobody buys a nitro finished bass and gets annoyed and scratches.

Yes, for me it's ok I said. But he questioned, It was me unpacking...I only open the softbag and put the bass on a stand to take pictures. He played the bass to record a video...

Thank you.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, erisu said:

The damages on the Maruszcyk is not good. I would ask Adrian to give you some money back for the imperfections or send the bass back for a 100% full refund. The customer service reply from him is absolutely terrible too. This puts me right off from wanting to order from him... might go with a Kiesel now.

There's one small scratch? 

I wouldn't take this one case as an example of how they operate. There's 1000's of happy customers. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Drax said:

There's one small scratch? 

I wouldn't take this one case as an example of how they operate. There's 1000's of happy customers. 

Yeah, I'm wishing to be one of this happy customers depending on his next answer.

For me 2100€, are 2 months of work at least.

I know my first mail was rude. Is the first thing I wrote on this chat. When Adrian give me an answer, I'm going to reply with my apologies.

As you can see, I have problems with my english too. My question about the foam it's just (maybe is for one good reason :-))

Thank you for your help.

Edited by Radchenko
  • Like 1

I'm curious about how this will develop.

For certain, the maker's reply has been what I would consider very bad. That level of service alone would not make me look at my instrument the same way. Adrien's job should have been, given he was dealing with a potentially unhappy customer (who, by the way, has all the rights to ask all the questions he wants - even the ones that might sound stupid like foam in the trussrod), to make the customer understand how things work (ie: regarding scratches on a thin nitro finish), and why some things could have happened (and most importantly, don't put the responsibility of errors ON THE CUSTOMER, especially since Maruszczyk is KNOWN for not stellar build quality or quality control, sometimes). However, I know I'm one to overreact for some things.

2000+ Euros are a LOT of money. For that money, you can and SHOULD get a PRISTINE bass, built well, with love, and most importantly a level of understanding from the builder. It's not like OP told him to go sod himself and his bass. He sounded worried and confused as a customer is when receiving something that doesn't match expectations and that cost a lot of money. 

I don't care about being 'lost in translation' - and I can say that as a non-native English speaker, who wouldn't communicate like that even when my level of english was "the cat is on the table", especially if that level of money was involved. It's all cr4p especially at this 'basic' level of communication. There isn't really justification to that answer and personally, I would now just tell him to take the bass back and give the money back - and would contact an actually reputable builder to make my instrument, who cares about making the customer happy. 

Edited by akabane
  • Thanks 1

56 minutes ago, Sibob said:

No, it’s not.....but it’s not exactly the nicest customer email either IMHO. Of course if someone isn’t happy, that’s fine, and the onus is on the builder to remain calm and helpful, but I see both sides.

I agree - but in a world with this many choices for customers, I know my loyalties lie with the builders who have been polite and helpful to everyone. A builder has more to lose from such an interaction than a customer does.

47 minutes ago, Drax said:

Yeah that last line isn't great. As we know Adrian can come across quite brusque on email, I always put this down to being lost in translation, plus him being backed up as the sole contact for anything Marus' related.

I've never heard of anyone just being dumped by them though - I'm sure he'll work something out if you're absolutely not happy. 

For sure, English is my first language and I’m certain I don’t come across as well in my second languages, particularly over email / text / online when even many first-language speakers find nuance more difficult to convey. 

The problem is that customer service issues can escalate quickly if you don’t deal with them. It’s true in any business...

Touchwood, I’ve never had an issue like this and I’m sure this was probably a bad day for the seller. 

If you go the boutique route you will meet some unique characters, but that’s why they’re in the funny business of making instruments.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Burns-bass said:

The problem is that customer service issues can escalate quickly if you don’t deal with them. It’s true in any business...

Touchwood, I’ve never had an issue like this and I’m sure this was probably a bad day for the seller. 

If you go the boutique route you will meet some unique characters, but that’s why they’re in the funny business of making instruments.

Absolutely - on the one hand you have true gents like Sheldon Dingwall and Roger Sadowsky who are both brilliant luthiers and friendly people, and then on the other hand you have eccentric geniuses who are obsessive about their craft but perhaps less communicative. I have instruments from both camps, and in some cases have tolerated less-than-awesome communication because the product was so good. But I’m at the stage where it’s got to be easy and at least good, or so good as to be worth the hassle. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, therealting said:

Absolutely - on the one hand you have true gents like Sheldon Dingwall and Roger Sadowsky who are both brilliant luthiers and friendly people, and then on the other hand you have eccentric geniuses who are obsessive about their craft but perhaps less communicative. I have instruments from both camps, and in some cases have tolerated less-than-awesome communication because the product was so good. But I’m at the stage where it’s got to be easy and at least good, or so good as to be worth the hassle. 

Agreed. I bought a bass from Paul Bryant who essentially built it for me and we had lots of chats about it via email. He’s as much of an enthusiast about instruments as we are, and it was wonderful.

I was a little surprised when he told me to take the bass and pay him when I could though...

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, therealting said:

For sure, English is my first language and I’m certain I don’t come across as well in my second languages, particularly over email / text / online when even many first-language speakers find nuance more difficult to convey. 

Of course there’s nuance, but come on, I can write a polite email in French and Google Translate it. I don’t write a stark collection of short sentences just because that’s all my knowledge of the language permits lol.

Si

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

37 minutes ago, therealting said:

Agree with you here. The only reason why politeness and positive customer feedback *could* be looked over, is when the end result/product is IMPECCABLE. It has to be the literal definition of having a product that 'speaks for itself', because it transcends any sour taste dealing with a luthier can bring.

Maruszczyk, of all luthiers, has NOT reached the status of offering such products - and is a common thread I see every time I see a community of its owners come together. They are great instruments, IF you are graced with the luthier's willingness to pay attention to making it and following any kind of quality control. Absolutely not something I would be willing to risk thousands of pounds/euros on. I would have hoped that after a few of those types of feedback from its customers, they would have started to change somehow; apparently not.

13 minutes ago, Sibob said:

Of course there’s nuance, but come on, I can write a polite email in French and Google Translate it. I don’t write a stark collection of short sentences just because that’s all my knowledge of the language permits lol.

Si

Absolutely agreed on this, and was my point also. 'Nuances' and 'lost in translation' do not apply in this case. 'Do you like anything with this instrument or you find only stinky poo' sounds an uselessly and abrasive a concept for a phrase, regardless which language it was spoken from.

Edit: props to the auto-corrector for that 'stinky poo' up there. 🤣

Edited by akabane
  • Like 1

25 minutes ago, Radchenko said:

Hello,

Do you think it's ok the knobs only work between 8 to 10?.

From 0 to 8, nothing ocur, even with the tone. 

Thank you.

Are those supposed to be the two pickups volumes? It certainly does NOT sound normal.

Do you mind opening up the back of the electronic box and take a photo? I'm curious at this point.

• Thanks 1

It does sound a bit off - but can depend on which Taper of pots were used etc. linear/vintage/modern. Some have a more useable range across the entire dial, others right at the end.

I have to be siding on the fact of being an unhappy customer at this point I am afraid and would be looking for something or everything in return

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

32 minutes ago, Radchenko said:

Hello,

Do you think it's ok the knobs only work between 8 to 10?.

From 0 to 8, nothing ocur, even with the tone. 

Thank you.

This could trump the other gripes. If it is all from 8-10 as it looks, bass goes back, or they front cost for investigative work locally. 

Feel your pain here - clearly not turning into the NBD you’d looked forward to. Hopefully you’ll get it sorted. 

Edited by Drax
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, akabane said:

Agree with you here. The only reason why politeness and positive customer feedback *could* be looked over, is when the end result/product is IMPECCABLE. It has to be the literal definition of having a product that 'speaks for itself', because it transcends any sour taste dealing with a luthier can bring.

Maruszczyk, of all luthiers, has NOT reached the status of offering such products - and is a common thread I see every time I see a community of its owners come together. They are great instruments, IF you are graced with the luthier's willingness to pay attention to making it and following any kind of quality control. Absolutely not something I would be willing to risk thousands of pounds/euros on. I would have hoped that after a few of those types of feedback from its customers, they would have started to change somehow; apparently not.

Absolutely agreed on this, and was my point also. 'Nuances' and 'lost in translation' do not apply in this case. 'Do you like anything with this instrument or you find only stinky poo' sounds an uselessly and abrasive a concept for a phrase, regardless which language it was spoken from.

Edit: props to the auto-corrector for that 'stinky poo' up there. 🤣

I was mainly talking about the OP’s email 😉

Si

5 hours ago, akabane said:

Are those supposed to be the two pickups volumes? It certainly does NOT sound normal.

Do you mind opening up the back of the electronic box and take a photo? I'm curious at this point.

Yes, volumen for each pickup, and the other knob is the tone.

I prefer not to open anything yet because of the situation, sorry. I'm waiting answers. I appreciate your time and help.

Thank you.

Edited by Radchenko

• ped locked this topic