Why become a member? ×

WITHDRAWN G&L SB1 USA with original hard case
£800
Babcary

Richard Jinman

Up for sale is a G&L SB1 from the late 80s and its original hard case. If I sound a bit vague on the date it's because it seems quite hard to date these precisely. The serial number is B017393. The G&L registery dates a similar number to 1984, but Gareth (the BassChatter I bought this from) says late 80s and he clearly knows his stuff. I bought the bass earlier this year and I do love it, but my modest talent and budget don't support a multiple bass habit so I'd like to sell and replace it with a US jazz with a rosewood neck (if you fancy a trade please let me know). I simply feel more at home with a jazz neck and a jazz sound. When I bought the bass I gave it to a local tech here in Somerset for a full set up. He polished the frets etc and fitted it with Dunlop flats which it's still wearing. I paid £975 for it which, on reflection, might have been a bit punchy, but I'd fallen in love with it so what's a man to do? 

You'll see from the pictures that it isn't in showroom condition as you might expect in a bass this age. It's got some good honest mojo from years of playing. There's a patch of buckle rash on the back, some dings on the edges of the body etc, but nothing that interferes with the gorgeous sound of the thing. The tech who set it up marvelled at how straight the neck was and it's the first instrument I've owned that made me understand what the term 'buttery' might mean. Something about it just feels right the moment you fret it. The electronics are simple - it has some rather cool radio knobs - but the sound (to my ears) is magnificent. The case looks like it has been through a few airports backwards - plenty of war wounds on the exterior, but the plush interior is in good condition. It's done its job in other words. 

It's probably a superficial thing, but I also loved this bass because it doesn't have the rather weird (IMO) jagged headstock of the modern G&Ls. I guess that's down to individual taste, but it felt important to me. Anyway, someone will either be on the look out for one of these or they won't, so I'll leave it in the lap of the BassChat gods and if it doesn't sell or trade I'll go right back to loving her. Bass is in Babcary, Somerset and inspection is welcome of course. As it's in its flight case I'm happy to courier at buyer's risk (or we insure). Thanks for taking a look. 

Been asked about weight. I only have access to bathroom scales, but using the Me plus bass minus Me approach it seems to weigh about 4kg. That's an approximate of course. It's certainly lighter than my BB1100s, but then most things are.

G&L SB1-2.jpg

G&L SB1-3.jpg

G&L SB1-4.jpg

G&L SB1-5.jpg

G&L SB1-6.jpg

G&L SB1-7.jpg

G&L SB1-8.jpg

G&L SB1-9.jpg

G&L SB1-10.jpg

G&L SB1-11.jpg

G&L SB1-12.jpg

G&L SB1-13.jpg

G&L SB1.jpg

Edited by Richard Jinman
  • Like 16

1 minute ago, Cscsiga said:

I don’t know why am I keep looking at these, since I already own one. Best precision bass ever. 

Same 😂 nearly sold mine but played it again and have fallen in love all over again

On ‎05‎/‎07‎/‎2020 at 18:53, ped said:

Same 😂 nearly sold mine but played it again and have fallen in love all over again

I thought that might've happened .

In the middle of moving stuff around at he moment , was going to be in the market for yours in a month or two , and you had to go and do something stupid , like play it again - he he

• Haha 1

Snap :)Just had to check my G&L sb1 of the same era was still in the case. The wear on the back is virtually identical, as is the case on other sb1s that have appeared here. Great bass, super build quality.  p bass on steroids, does it all, I have kept mine for about 30 years now. GLWTS. Whoever buys will not be disappointed. 

30 minutes ago, Richard Jinman said:

Thanks 3Below... it is a killer bass indeed. I’m just not a Precision man ... heresy I know

I don't think I am either, at heart - but have come to realise that it's a great tool to have in the box and an excuse to buy flats

On 03/07/2020 at 14:45, Richard Jinman said:

probably a superficial thing, but I also loved this bass because it doesn't have the rather weird (IMO) jagged headstock of the modern G&Ls.

Couldn't agree more, I gasped when I got to the headstock shot. Didn't realise these used to have a more traditional shape. Looks like a lovely bass. Good luck with it.