Why become a member? ×

Flats and tension?

Based on this thread I bought some Dunlop flats 105/45. They were extremely playable straight away a, had a nice brightness with tone pot open and super mellow with the tone rolled off. Lower tension than the Daddario Chromes I had on before and a very smooth feel.

I’ve not tried Labella LTF’s yet, maybe next time 😁

About to make my first foray into flats on a kit built P bass, just waiting on some material to come to make up a neck shim before it all gets bolted together. Ended up going for the LaBella Deep Talkin in Light guage, did a rough setup with Fender 7250s that came off my Jazz bass when new so hopefully they're a similar sort of tension.

On 23/08/2020 at 15:01, inthedoghouse said:

FWIW I've got Fender flats on one of my Ps and old 4001 - I really like the sound and feel of them.

It’s strange but I have never got on with Fender flats either before or after they were made by D’ Addario. I might give the Dunlop’s  a try although I was not impressed with their acoustic guitar strings. 

7 hours ago, Chienmortbb said:

It’s strange but I have never got on with Fender flats either before or after they were made by D’ Addario. I might give the Dunlop’s  a try although I was not impressed with their acoustic guitar strings. 

In all my years I've never used flats until fairly recently so Fenders are the only flats I've played.  Maybe I'll try another brand sometime.