Why become a member? ×

Two North Korean Ladies playing a bass duet

5 minutes ago, Newfoundfreedom said:

The bass playing was great. The melody track on the other hand..... Ouch!

Exactly! When I watched it through the first time it was all questions and the whole thing seemed bizarre. Having listened again,  and just listened, then I agree completely. The bass is great, it's everything else that seems bizarre. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Richard R said:

Of course, it could actually be their secret weapon in the battle against Covid-19.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-53274152

I’m not entirely sure we should be criticising anyone else’s response to this crisis, or indeed laughing at what passes for entertainment in North Korea. Have you actually seen the sh*t on TV here?

I wonder what the North Koreans would think of Naked Attraction? (A show once seen and never forgotten).

Edited by Burns-bass
  • Like 5

Every note a glowing tribute to the Amazing Achievements Of The Glorious Leader. Every buzzing fret gets their mothers another 6 months in the gulag.

1 hour ago, Burns-bass said:

I wonder what the North Koreans would think of Naked Attraction? (A show once seen and never forgotten).

Oh god, there's not enough brain bleach in the world to cope with that thing. :shok:

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Rich said:

Every note a glowing tribute to the Amazing Achievements Of The Glorious Leader. Every buzzing fret gets their mothers another 6 months in the gulag.

Oh god, there's not enough brain bleach in the world to cope with that thing. :shok:

They're very good players aren't they?

But there really is absolutely no heart in it whatsoever... probably because, as you say Rich, any mistake may likely have serious consequences!

Some thoughts....

The skill level was unquestionable.

I actually thought they looked like they were enjoying themselves rather than in terror of their lives (they let slip a few grins when they start slapping, no doubt because they know its unexpected). Playing it properly was no more than a lot of other musicians do.

There is a limited range of music in North Korea although there are supposed to be a tiny handful of metal bands. Most pop music is pretty gentle and has its roots in folk music. No doubt the classic hit "The Joy of Bumper Harvest Overflows Amidst the Song of Mechanisation" is unlikely to pwm iTunes in the near future.

This combination of modern music against a traditional backdrop appears a fairly typical  approach. The use of a relatively unobtrusive (but no doubt familiar to the audience) piece of background music is probably a good idea for an exhibition piece, but if a bit sterile if you were going to hear 90 minutes of it.

Most importantly it shows an obvious idea that doesn't seem to have been given serious consideration before.

As bass players we all know bass can be just as complex and demanding as guitar, but in a typical band situation the higher pitched, vocal like, sounds of the guitar is more suited to solos. But a true solo guitar? You get something like Eruption - I've seen a video of Eruption live, eh beginning was electrifying but I couldn't watch it to its long, drawn-out ending.

In contrast a pair of bass guitars, because of the added element of more solid tones and wider harmony gives something potentially rather more engaging.

Edited by Stub Mandrel
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, Stub Mandrel said:

No doubt the classic hit "The Joy of Bumper Harvest Overflows Amidst the Song of Mechanisation" is unlikely to pwm iTunes in the near future.

Maybe not, but its follow-up "My Heart Fills With Love For The Supreme Leader As His Golf Prowess Humiliates The Great Enemy" was #1 for 738 weeks.

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, Newfoundfreedom said:

The melody track on the other hand..... Ouch!

I found that oddly comforting.

Without wanting to sound both racist and geographically incorrect it reminded me of pleasant family evenings dining at a Chinese restaurant in Dun Laoghaire in the early seventies.  I was ten.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Rich said:

Maybe not, but its follow-up "My Heart Fills With Love For The Supreme Leader As His Golf Prowess Humiliates The Great Enemy" was #1 for 738 weeks.

I'd buy any song about Kim Jon Un thrashing the Donald at golf 🙂

1 hour ago, Woodinblack said:
1 hour ago, Stub Mandrel said:

In contrast a pair of bass guitars, because of the added element of more solid tones and wider harmony gives something potentially rather more engaging.

So you're buying the album is what you are saying?

No, but it does make me think what could be done by developing the idea of bass duets.