Why become a member? ×

Need solid tabs for Fleetwood Mac Rhiannon

PWitz

Hello I was looking for the BASS tabs for Fleetwood Mac's Rhiannon song.  i have found two that were not correct and although I'm trying to pick up by ear and watching several videos I am still struggling.  As a new bass player I am just trying to make sure I am right.  Thanks for info you can send in advance!!

Phil

3 minutes ago, PWitz said:

Hello I was looking for the BASS tabs for Fleetwood Mac's Rhiannon song.  i have found two that were not correct and although I'm trying to pick up by ear and watching several videos I am still struggling.  As a new bass player I am just trying to make sure I am right.  Thanks for info you can send in advance!!

Phil

I would have a look at this and pick it apart using the change speed function.

I don’t know the bass line note for note, but I would be surprised if Troy drops any notes. He’s very faithful in everything he does.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, PWitz said:

Phil

That's the very nature of TAB.

It's open to interpretation whereas notation (score) locks down the finer details if you can be ãrsed to learn it.  Even then however, you won't often find a definitive set of notes and measures for a popular song in TAB or even score without paying... and even then it may not be the version that you have in mind.

I use my ear to try and fill in the blanks.  A fellow member, @PaulWarning, recommends that you play the tune at a slightly higher speed than normal without pitch correction.  That way the bassline is pulled into a more audible frequency range and should stand out better.

Covers... should you aim for accuracy or something that you can handle and still carry it off?  Sounds like a new thread in the making.

11 hours ago, PWitz said:

As a new bass player I am just trying to make sure I am right.

Remember, what seems right today may not seem so tomorrow.  Relax a little and develop your style.

• Like 1

I'd be happy using Troy's cover (video above) as an accurate rendition of the song. 

It seems a relatively simply bassline compared to some of the stuff he posts which is bang on. I don't mean easy though, it's a surprisingly busy line for quite a slow, laid back song, but it is repetitive which helps. 

I had to learn The Who's 'The Real Me' and his version was spot on and helped a great deal. 

Good luck with learning it and as others have said, don't worry too much about getting it absolutely perfect. It's better to not play it exactly the same but play it well, than get it note perfect but with no feeling. 

And the most important bit? Enjoy yourself. 👍

• Like 3

Watched this guy before on songs i was trying to learn and he's one of the best.

What versions have you used for tabs

I use Ultimate Guitar, Songster, Big Bass Tabs, and any youtube demos on the song. Some youtube clips will break it down for you on difficult songs.

Dave

• Like 1

Wow thank you ALL for the great feedback!!  I've been a guitar player for a long time and switched to Bass last week at the request of a group who saw me play.  In all the years of being in Guitar forum groups never have I received so much help and encouragement.  Thank you!

Phil

• Like 4

8 minutes ago, PWitz said:

Wow thank you ALL for the great feedback!!  I've been a guitar player for a long time and switched to Bass last week at the request of a group who saw me play.  In all the years of being in Guitar forum groups never have I received so much help and encouragement.  Thank you!

Phil

Welcome to the Light :) no longer a gee-tard 

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, PWitz said:

Phil

Welcome aboard.

Bass players are much nicer people. Basschat is just one big happy family of like minded people who most of the time get along really well.

We never argue...........we just debate............strongly. :laugh1: 

Has to be the best forum i'm a member of. Helpful, great laugh and so much knowledge available whenever you need help or advice and i've been playing for 40+ yrs now.

Dave

• Like 1

Echo the above, but so far as listening to songs, just keep going with it. If you only switched 1 week ago your ears are not tuned to hearing Basslines yet. 

Keep going, they will get there, then it will be a lightbulb moment when you now get the rhythm of a song and what forms the meat of it.

welcome to BC

Edited by Cuzzie
  • Like 1