Why become a member? ×

Happy.... For how long?!

TRBboy

3 hours ago, ezbass said:

I prefer shorter scale (32/33”), 4 stringers. But, thanks to BC, I had continuous Sadowsky 5 string GAS. Conversely, I also have real short GAS, but this time thanks to a YT video someone shared on FB where the bass player was using a Serek. However, this has led to Wilcock GAS. I ‘need’ none of these things. :facepalm:

I've been lusting after short scale basses for the past few months, but I know deep down I wouldn't like it as much live, and I'm a 5 string guy anyway.... So then I was looking at the 5 string Ibanez Mezzo...., 😬

• Like 1

6 hours ago, TRBboy said:

Does anyone else get to that point where they're totally happy with their gear and thinks "yep, that's me, I'm done.

Never say never, but I reckon I'm done.

My gig rig is a Sadowsky bass, an Aguilar amp and Barefaced cabs. My back-up rig is a Mike Lull bass, Thunderfunk amp and different Barefaced cabs. My home practice rig is either bass, a different Aguilar amp and yet more Barefaced cabs.

I've spent more on lessons in the last few years than gear. That's where my GAS is.

• Like 4

I was free from GAS on the basis my rig has been slimmed down to the essentials only and I have a new ACG currently being made from Alan’s finest MDF and crayons. But then he’s bloody dangled the tantalising prospect of a second build which I now cannot get out of my head. I don’t need a fifth ACG (Christ on a bike, I don’t NEED the fourth one FFS) but now I WANT one.

🤯

Edited by Merton
Smelling pistake
  • Haha 2

My inability to gig with anything much over 7lbs or so is nature’s way for curing my GAS I think.  Very limiting in what I can seriously consider basswise. Now lightweight amplification, that’s another matter.....😉

18 hours ago, TRBboy said:

Hey folks,

Does anyone else get to that point where they're totally happy with their gear and thinks "yep, that's me, I'm done. Shouldn't need to change anything for a long time, if ever"...... And then feel like they're just waiting in anticipation for their tastes to change /GAS to kick in /a new 'need' to arise, etc, etc.? 

Or is it just me?! 😂

I'm totally happy at the mo by the way, shouldn't need to buy anything else ever..... 🤔

I used a Sadowsky into a Mark Bass combo for nearly ten years. I was pretty happy and had little GAS in that time. I did want a low gain OD and went through a Solid Gold Beta and Bearfoot Blueberry BOD before settling on a TC Spark Booster. 

• Like 1

Over the last 13 weeks of furlough I have spent far too much on gear, basses and effect pedals. I have had some right decent kit and moved it on fast losing some cash in the process. I`m beginning to think that all the wheeling and dealing is the only thing that has kept me on the right side of sanity as I have never had as much time off before.

But I reckon I`m done bass wise. 

Now amps, that`s a different kettle of haddock.....

• Like 1

13 hours ago, TRBboy said:

That's very similar to the colour I spayed my Yamaha BBN5 a couple of months ago! 😎

I have a sneaking suspicion that's only the primer, waiting for the final colour to be applied 😎

Edit: posted without checking page 2. Nevermind!

I'm never free of GAS. I've become less prone to it since I got my two Status Graphite S2 Classics, I've never been more impressed by a bass than by these two. However, there's always that itch. I browse Basschat and a Dutch forum several times a day, and I make my daily round on Leftybass.com, Leftybassist.com and the Dutch advertising site Marktplaats and have been able to resist temptation for the most part of the last 3 years, but two months ago I bought back a Carvin LB75 I previously owned and more recently I came across a Hohner B2A that spoke to me. Guitars and basses combined, I'm at 22 now and a few things need to go. But I will have a hard time not immediately spending the cash I get out of that on something new 😰

Edited by LeftyJ

Bass wise I'm pretty happy with what I have - at least I'm not really looking to get rid of anything I have now in exchange for something else. If funds allow and I see something nice, I suppose I wouldn't rule out adding to the collection in future but I'm certainly not actively looking for anything. 

Pedals I'd actually like to streamline what I have rather than get more. 

Amps and cabs on the other hand!... 🙄

After my recently acquired Ashdown CTM30, I'd now really like an Ashdown CTM15, a CTM100 and a CTM300 to complete the set. Oh, nearly forgot the new CTM200 - I'd better have one of them too. 😁 I'd also quite like another ABM610 cab - I reckon a pair of them driven by a CTM300 would make a hell of a noise! And finally somebody to carry it all around for me would be great too. 

• Haha 1

On 03/07/2020 at 00:02, casapete said:

My inability to gig with anything much over 7lbs or so is nature’s way for curing my GAS I think.  Very limiting in what I can seriously consider basswise. Now lightweight amplification, that’s another matter.....😉

I'm the same.  A back injury means that my 7Ib-ish Italia is all I can handle.  I do have a sneaky liking for a genuine Hofner Club bass.  I like the look of them and they are light.  However, A Club bass won't do anything more than my Italia can do and a German made Hofner costs more than double what I paid for my bass.  I don't need one.  Say it again - I don't need...............

• Like 1

3 hours ago, LeftyP said:

I'm the same.  A back injury means that my 7Ib-ish Italia is all I can handle.  I do have a sneaky liking for a genuine Hofner Club bass.  I like the look of them and they are light.  However, A Club bass won't do anything more than my Italia can do and a German made Hofner costs more than double what I paid for my bass.  I don't need one.  Say it again - I don't need...............

Which Italia do you have? I briefly had a Mondial and quite liked it, although don't remember it being that light.

3 hours ago, ubit said:

My GAS has stalled due to my job not allowing me to gig, so at the moment I am spare room noodling only.

My GAS has also been stopped by not having any gigs to justify buying anything! In fact, may be having a Covid enforced cull before too long. Trouble will be which ones go / stay  - those I don't regularly use but just love having , or the ones that earn money but are less 'special' to me. Decisions decisions.....

17 minutes ago, casapete said:

My GAS has also been stopped by not having any gigs to justify buying anything! In fact, may be having a Covid enforced cull before too long. Trouble will be which ones go / stay  - those I don't regularly use but just love having , or the ones that earn money but are less 'special' to me. Decisions decisions.....

Make a list of your basses from most played to least played. Start selling from the end of the list. Only stop when you have 2 left.

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, chris_b said:

Make a list of your basses from most played to least played. Start selling from the end of the list. Only stop when you have 2 left.

I did just that. But stopped when I got down to 10 😁

"Unfortunately" I can come up with a good reason for all of them (e.g. just a fantastic piece of kit that I'm lucky to own, fretless, PJ, 8 string, 6 string, EUB, budget for pub gigs etc.) Maybe I could get rid of a couple, but I suspect I'd miss them when they're gone, not least 'cos I find the tonal variety each brings to the party seems to keep them ALL fresh. Dunno if that makes sense? In principle, I guess not too different to someone having a lot of different cabs or a large pedal board.

But what I find works for me is that, now I have a set of basses I'm really happy with, if anything new tempts me (at a comparable price point) I find myself asking would that be something I'd trade for one of my existing basses? It's been a really effective GAS killer!

1 hour ago, casapete said:

Which Italia do you have? I briefly had a Mondial and quite liked it, although don't remember it being that light.

It's the Maranello Cavo bass which is hollow bodied and short scale.

P1020285 (450x800).jpg

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, LeftyP said:

It's the Maranello Cavo bass which is hollow bodied and short scale.

P1020285 (450x800).jpg

Am liking that, seem to remember seeing it now in a previous post I think. Never seen one in the flesh though. The Italia stuff all seems pretty good - I quite fancied on of their Ampeg AEB a like models, the Imola. Don't seem to see many on sale, either on here or in shops generally?

Just now, casapete said:

Am liking that, seem to remember seeing it now in a previous post I think. Never seen one in the flesh though. The Italia stuff all seems pretty good - I quite fancied on of their Ampeg AEB a like models, the Imola. Don't seem to see many on sale, either on here or in shops generally?

I tracked mine down at Richard's Guitars in Stratford-upon- Avon.  I had to buy it via the internet without trying it but they weighed it for me and set it up well.  They were the only place I could find one.