Why become a member? ×

Happy.... For how long?!

TRBboy

Hey folks,

Does anyone else get to that point where they're totally happy with their gear and thinks "yep, that's me, I'm done. Shouldn't need to change anything for a long time, if ever"...... And then feel like they're just waiting in anticipation for their tastes to change /GAS to kick in /a new 'need' to arise, etc, etc.? 

Or is it just me?! 😂

I'm totally happy at the mo by the way, shouldn't need to buy anything else ever..... 🤔

Edited by TRBboy
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

I know exactly how you feel. 

I love my current basses and rig, yet it doesn't stop me looking a new shiny gear that I see on here and you tube basically every day. 

However I have decided to try and focus my spare time on playing rather than researching. To hold myself to account I have signed up for Skype lessons with Phil Mann.  I'm sure that will keep me busy! 

• Like 5

12 minutes ago, Crawford13 said:

I know exactly how you feel. 

I love my current basses and rig, yet it doesn't stop me looking a new shiny gear that I see on here and you tube basically every day. 

However I have decided to try and focus my spare time on playing rather than researching. To hold myself to account I have signed up for Skype lessons with Phil Mann.  I'm sure that will keep me busy! 

Definitely think that's a better use of resources, and kinda what I'm thinking at the moment! Happy with gear, now I need to focus on trying to improve myself! 

• Like 1

Basschat is a real f**ker for the stirring those feelings of discontent and fuelling the need for more, better shiny new gear!!

I think I've hit a (probably short lived) feeling of zen around my current bass gear.  I've concluded that I don't need more than 2 basses, that I don't want an electric guitar anymore and that my bass amp is perfectly adequate for my current needs.  The Helix has also solved all my pedal needs so I'm not even thinking about drive and fuzz pedals! Everything else is for sale.

In the unlikely event I join a new band playing large outdoor gigs then I may get a new DI pedal and upgrade the amp to something more capable but for rehearsals, playing at home and local pub gigs the 30w tube amp is plenty. 

It's a great feeling,  I hope it lasts!!

Edited by PJ-Bassist
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, PJ-Bassist said:

Basschat is a real f**ker for the stirring those feelings of discontent and fuelling the need for more, better shiny new gear!!

The truth, right there.

• Like 2

This may come as a surprise to most on here but I actually think Im sorted and 100% Happy with my lot. Only thing Im looking at is that bloody Noble Pre but I don't 'need it'! I have a REDDI coming in so that should ease the gas🤣

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

I prefer shorter scale (32/33”), 4 stringers. But, thanks to BC, I had continuous Sadowsky 5 string GAS. Conversely, I also have real short GAS, but this time thanks to a YT video someone shared on FB where the bass player was using a Serek. However, this has led to Wilcock GAS. I ‘need’ none of these things. :facepalm:

• Haha 1

Ive been using the same bass for almost 10 years now and only changed amps because my old one was beyond repair. The only reason I would change is if I suddenly ran into enough money to afford the spec of the Fodera I would go for, but since that's unlikely im GAS free!

• Like 1

Nope.... I’m with you! I have the gear I’ve wanted for ages. A range of lovely basses, 2 are “keepers” (the Status and Sadowsky) . The rig I love and a little back up. I’m done for a few years.... honest guv’

Edited by bassfan
  • Haha 1

13 minutes ago, walshy said:

This may come as a surprise to most on here but I actually think Im sorted and 100% Happy with my lot. Only thing Im looking at is that bloody Noble Pre but I don't 'need it'! I have a REDDI coming in so that should ease the gas🤣

Fell off my chair! 😂

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, bassfan said:

Fell off my chair! 😂

Ha Ha, thought you'd be along! Honest I think I am sorted, the new Ashdown arrivals have sorted me out rig wise. The '66P, Nate's Lakland and the latest Lakland Bob Glaub PJ has me more than covered. Everything else I have is just gravy!😂

• Haha 1

15 minutes ago, walshy said:

Ha Ha, thought you'd be along! Honest I think I am sorted, the new Ashdown arrivals have sorted me out rig wise. The '66P, Nate's Lakland and the latest Lakland Bob Glaub PJ has me more than covered. Everything else I have is just gravy!😂

Yeah, but we all know how much you like gravy! Lol!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

At the moment all I want to do is get rid of stuff. I am happy with what I have (or what I will have when bax get back to me), and have decided to reduce some of the other things. 

Have a few basses to get rid of, a few guitars, probably a keyboard and a master keyboard, and a couple of amps, and then I will be happy. For a while!

Nope, I'm way off happy. I want a StingRay in natural ash but I cant justify shelling out £2k + to the mrs or meself TBH. I've only two basses at the mo' including a Sub Ray 4. I'm eyeing up a Ray34 though, which I  guess I could happily settle for. Nowt else really appeals anywhere near as much .

Edited by Barking Spiders

I was free from bass gas for months and months. Really thought it was over. So why was I even on the Thomann website that day? And why did I ask for help on this forum of all places? 

Obviously because I thought I could toy with forces greater than myself. 

Looking back I see now that during the months of freedom from bass gas I was in the midst of quite insane pedal buying and selling. Some I moved on after barely even trying them. Most I never used live even once.