Why become a member? ×

Reggae Sunsplash (70's TV Programme)

Chezz55

Greetings.

UPFRONT ADMISSION - I'm not a fan of Reggae/Dub/BlueBeat/Ska etc.. but reading some of the posts in 'The Reggae Thread' elsewhere on this Forum got me thinking.

Way back in the 70's I used to watch a TV programme called 'Reggae Sunsplash'.   IIRC, the programme showcased the 'authentic' side of Jamaican Reggae.  The only band name I can recall is 'Chalice'.   Anybody else remember the programme?

There seems to be a lot of respect for Sly 'n' Robbie on BC so I listened to a few of their tracks recently, and I remain underwhemed (I did say that I'm not a Reggae fan) - but my interest has been piqued and I would be interested in checking out some good un-commercial reggae - any suggestions please.

Chris

3 hours ago, Reggaebass said:

That’s interesting, I don’t remember a tv program called reggae sunsplash, and I’ve been playing reggae since 1977, I but I’ve been to the reggae  sunsplash festival 🙂

I was supposed to be playing it this year after a tour with Toots! 😭😭

Vaguely familiar. Sunsplash did get used a lot - not always directly linked to the festival. Here's a listing on BFI - unfortunately they have no information but at least it's proof you are not just dreaming it! Oh, and as for Sly and Robbie, relax and enjoy. It isn't meant to be overwhelming 😎