Why become a member? ×

Yamaha BB234 or Spector Legend 4 Standard?

Friday

Hi all,

I started playing again after a long period, and since I noticed that I'm practicing a lot, jamming a bit, enjoying it and even getting better, I decided to upgrade from my old Washburn Lyon.

My budget is equivalent to 300 GBP, and I'm looking for a passive PJ, so I thought I'd get some Yamaha BB234, but then I saw a Spector Legend 4 Standard on sale for the same price.

I usually play blues, R&B and Rock, so I look for a deep, warm and clean sound. I think I don't need the active EQ, but if it's already there it's no harm.

So, my question is, leaving the price aside, is the Spector really an upgrade? will it give me mode tone options? is it the type of sound I'm looking for?

Thanks!

The Spectors are excellent. Real easy to play, and good rich sound.

I had a  couple of Yamaha 434s (not the 234) and they were great too. Not as solidly built as the spectors, but very good basses. I havent tried the 234s though I'm afraid.

• Thanks 1

On 02/07/2020 at 21:58, la bam said:

The Spectors are excellent. Real easy to play, and good rich sound.

I had a  couple of Yamaha 434s (not the 234) and they were great too. Not as solidly built as the spectors, but very good basses. I havent tried the 234s though I'm afraid.

The 434 bass was a really solid unit. From memory a wide string siscing but don’t quote me in that. This being said, I have a tobacco legend 4 which has really impressed me. Only really blasted it up once due to lock down but it gave me a good range of growls and it is a peach of a fingerboard for the price. I’d go Spector but a minor beware us the 24  frets which means a slight adjustment to knowing where you are in the neck! I knew about this before I bought.

• Thanks 1

Really tricky one, as they are both great makes! I've not had the BB234, but a fair few of the rest ot the range. I've had a Legend which impressed me so much I upgraded to the Euro LX and I suspect I couldn't go back to the Legend now. 

I think the answer may boil down to which mode you generally prefer to play, passive or active? 

If passive, go for the Yammy, if active the Legend. Nice thing is, I suspect you won't be disappointed with either!

• Thanks 1

Thanks everybody, seems like any choice would be good.

The bad news is that due to the corona-virus situation the Legend is out of stock... I can't even make an order :(

The seller says it might get better in the coming weeks, not sure how long I'm going to wait.

So, maybe I'll get the Yamaha just because of impatience...

I have a Yamaha BB414 and it's solid as a rock, I think the tones available from the BB234 would be great for the music styles you listed, in my opinion the PJ arrangement is one of the best there is. The only downside....the body is pretty big, though not overly heavy, this may be of no concern to you though. 👍

• Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, Friday said:

Thanks everybody, seems like any choice would be good.

The bad news is that due to the corona-virus situation the Legend is out of stock... I can't even make an order :(

The seller says it might get better in the coming weeks, not sure how long I'm going to wait.

So, maybe I'll get the Yamaha just because of impatience...

Maybe put a wanted ad up in the "items wanted" section if you would prefer a Legend and see what's available? Picking one up used, assuming its in decent condition, is a great way to dip your toe into the water.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, sykilz said:

I have a Yamaha BB414 and it's solid as a rock, I think the tones available from the BB234 would be great for the music styles you listed, in my opinion the PJ arrangement is one of the best there is. The only downside....the body is pretty big, though not overly heavy, this may be of no concern to you though. 👍

The body on the newer ones is smaller than the old BB`s and usually a bit lighter. They are cracking basses and not just for the money, just good basses.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, jezzaboy said:

The body on the newer ones is smaller than the old BB`s and usually a bit lighter. They are cracking basses and not just for the money, just good basses.

That's good to know, was thinking of getting one myself now I only play at home/ at a friend's.👍

2 hours ago, Al Krow said:

Maybe put a wanted ad up in the "items wanted" section if you would prefer a Legend and see what's available? Picking one up used, assuming its in decent condition, is a great way to dip your toe into the water.

Personally I have some issue with buying used stuff, not related to bass or music whatsoever, I just don't like the feeling of the uncertainty regarding the item condition, and had some bad experiences in the past.

Fair enough, it can be a worry I agree and you do well to take care with any used purchase.

Roughly 40% of my basses were bought used. I find buying used from BC sellers or from reputable stores has been a really good experience though (and the existence of positive feedback threads on BC really helps build confidence).

When I started out on the used bass route, I found it helpful to take a more experienced mate along for a second opinion. And when they made comments like "if you're not gonna buy it, I will" certainly got me across the line! I guess my own approach has been to stick to basses under 10 years old to minimise risk of neck warp, which is probably my single biggest concern.