Why become a member? ×

Cort GB75 JJ - thoughts?

EddHytheTown

After a failed foray into 5 strings a while ago, I'd like another go. I think one of the main issues I found was tight string spacing which I struggled with. I went straight into gigging with the 5 without properly adapting and in the end I traded it on for a 4.

I currently own a Cort B4 which I love, and I rate Cort basses.

The GB75 JJ has caught my eye. There seem to be some good sale prices out there at the moment, and from what I can tell they have a wide string spacing at both the bridge and nut. I also used to own a MIM Jazz and really liked the sound of the neck jazz pickup soloed. (I get this is a different bass and I'm not trying to replicate the Fender sound I had, but I'm hankering for a jazz style pickup sound again)

The reviews I've found of the GB75 range have been very positive, but I'd really appreciate the views of any Basschatters who've tried/own these. I'm not really looking for lots of alternative suggestions though thanks, though if anyone has really strong contenders then do share. I probably won't be looking to buy for a few months, so chances are any good deals on the classifieds might move on by then.

Cheers,
Edd

I have a GB75JH with the MM humbucker at the bridge. Speaking of which, I like the Omega high mass bridge, each saddle has four separate grooves for setting your own string spacing. The bass has some quality hardware (Hipshot Ultralite tuners too) and the fit and finish as well as the woods used are all very good.
The figuring on the fretboard on mine is nice though would have been a classy touch to have continued the same flame maple onto a veneer on the front face of the headstock.
The pickups/electronics package are certainly up to the job but given the quality of other aspects of the bass, it’s the one area I feel I may look at upgrading in the future. It doesn’t feel like an issue with the bass, like I said the electronics are fine, probably likely more me and an idea in my head of the sound I want. 
Nice to have the active/passive switch on the volume control but there is what feels like a fair drop in output when switching to passive even with the active bass and treble controls set flat at the centre detentes.
I like mine a lot and I’m in no hurry to punt it on. I did actually have two when I planned on using these as my main gigging bass but that’s changed and I don’t need a back up the same now. 
Lastly, I like all the see thru colours on both the JJ and JH models. They all work well with the maple board imo. 

BDC77D30-C02B-45E5-A26B-CE803441539E.jpeg

0F9CAA64-7D75-49AD-BD1F-A5C1D188A5D5.jpeg

5CFDE2DE-1C44-4C36-8455-435FAEDDC735.jpeg

• Thanks 1

Thanks for the thorough review, I really like the transparent black with that lovely maple board. In fact that's exactly the colour combo I have on my B4. 

Good to hear you rate the GB75JH so highly. In terms of my budget and sale prices that seem to around at the minute (hopefully still there when I come to buy), I'm potentially more likely to go for the JJ. Nice transparent amber and blue finishes available, and I believe the same hardware and probably electronics.

That's really interesting to hear on the omega bridge string spacing options. Sounds ideal in fact, giving the option to find the most  comfortable fit.