Why become a member? ×

Hey from sunny So. Cal. USA

MothMan

I read the title and hate you already. 

Just joking.  Welcome.

It's been near non stop monsooning where I am, complete with thunderstorms and the mosquitoes have been extremely aggressive.  Normally we'd be hitting 38 degrees C by now and melting.

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, hiram.k.hackenbacker said:

Usually one at a time. Are two of them double necks?

One at a times a good way to do it. One is, and the necks are back to front instead of side by each, so it kinda throws off the count in my mind. The other one that messes with the count is cause it's been torn apart for parts to build some custom nightmare that I dreamed up.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

8 minutes ago, MothMan said:

One at a times a good way to do it. One is, and the necks are back to front instead of side by each, so it kinda throws off the count in my mind. The other one that messes with the count is cause it's been torn apart for parts to build some custom nightmare that I dreamed up.

I knew there would be a good reason 😂.

Welcome.

Now, where are the pictures of this Moth bass I see mentioned?

• Thanks 1

46 minutes ago, hiram.k.hackenbacker said:

I knew there would be a good reason 😂.

Welcome.

Now, where are the pictures of this Moth bass I see mentioned?

IMG_20190606_163531569.thumb.jpg.dcd9c60e2896fcb390f1690418f04638.jpg

Right here, resting in the case I had built for it.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, hiram.k.hackenbacker said:

Wow! Thanks for sharing. I presume that's 1 of 1?

Yep it is. Here's some info on it from the builders site:

5 string , 35" scale,  5 piece laminate neck through contruction, hollow chambered body,  jumbo frets,  2 way adjustable truss rod, adjustable heavy alloy bridge,  passive soapbar humbucking pickup,  volume and tone controls,  side position markers.

The Mothman Bass is constructed of several different woods to achieve an extremely solid instrument with superior tone qualities and an appearance like no other instrument. The body is built on a foundation of two layers of Black Walnut.  On top of the Walnut is a layer of red Bloodwood.  The dark layer on the top is Wenge.  The neck is a 5 layer laminate of Walnut and Purpleheart.  The fingerboard is made from Bocote and nut is made of Ebony.   In order to lighten the bass, the body was hollowed out from the back.  The "Suit of Armor" plates on the back of the bass conceal the hollow chambers in the body.  Even after this lightening process,  this bass is still very heavy.   All plates are permantly attached except the small elliptical plate for access to the controls.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, MothMan said:

Yep it is. Here's some info on it from the builders site:

5 string , 35" scale,  5 piece laminate neck through contruction, hollow chambered body,  jumbo frets,  2 way adjustable truss rod, adjustable heavy alloy bridge,  passive soapbar humbucking pickup,  volume and tone controls,  side position markers.

The Mothman Bass is constructed of several different woods to achieve an extremely solid instrument with superior tone qualities and an appearance like no other instrument. The body is built on a foundation of two layers of Black Walnut.  On top of the Walnut is a layer of red Bloodwood.  The dark layer on the top is Wenge.  The neck is a 5 layer laminate of Walnut and Purpleheart.  The fingerboard is made from Bocote and nut is made of Ebony.   In order to lighten the bass, the body was hollowed out from the back.  The "Suit of Armor" plates on the back of the bass conceal the hollow chambers in the body.  Even after this lightening process,  this bass is still very heavy.   All plates are permantly attached except the small elliptical plate for access to the controls.

Nice. I presume you’re in a jazz quartet or similar 😎

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, hiram.k.hackenbacker said:

Nice. I presume you’re in a jazz quartet or similar 😎

Bluegrass trio actually.

38 minutes ago, Geek99 said:

Is it any good for metal ?

Well, it's good looking. Dunno if I'd actually want to gig with it since it weighs right around 15 pounds if memory serves.

6 hours ago, MothMan said:

Bluegrass trio actually.

Well, it's good looking. Dunno if I'd actually want to gig with it since it weighs right around 15 pounds if memory serves.

I’m teasing you a little - that phrase is an in-joke here about questions that newbies ask. I’ll find you the explanatory link but that’s a really heavy bass 

• Like 1