Why become a member? ×

NAD ashdown rm500 evo2

la bam

On 11/07/2020 at 12:14, la bam said:

Is there any difference between the rm500 and rm800?

In particular does the 800 stay fuller sounding at louder levels like the abm?

I have an RM500 with RM cabs as my gig rig and the practice room has an RM800 on top of ABM cabs which in true rehearsal rooms style have at least one knackered speaker. I find the amps identical with the exception that the RM800 is scientifically speaking a "f#ck ton" louder. I reckon the ABM cabs help a little with that. 

This doesn't mean the RM500 is a quiet amp. It most definitely is not. 

I've never had either amp farting when pushed or wimping out but then again I like my amp clean, not pushing the input too hard, and if I want drive I use a foots witch to bring in the drive setting or my fx pedal. I also have never ever had need to push the master volume over half, for gigs I'm usually only on about 30%

1 hour ago, la bam said:

That's good to hear.

I've been doing some jamming along to backing tracks via my phone directly into the rm and using lozz's settings - pre shape on and mids boosted, with a bit of drive and compression, it sits smack bang in the middle of the mix perfectly.

Very impressed.

Those settings are pretty much what I use with my ABM. I know a lot of people don't like the preshape because it scoops the mids so much but I find it adds a lot more weight to the sound than just boosting the lows can. Adding mids back in to compensate really brings it back into the mix with clarity but still with that huge low end that fills the room. 

I've never really gotten on with any class D amps that I've tried so far but I've yet to try the RM stuff. Given that I'm an all out Ashdown guy (and you can obviously never have enough gear) I really ought to try one out. 

That said, if I had £1200 spare I'd just buy your CTM300 and be done with. 😁

Edited by Painy
  • Like 1

Completely agree.

On first hearing the pre shape, the initial response it to turn it off and use the flat shape and eq as it does sound a bit duller, but it really does work in the mix.

I always have to add more mids in anyway, but it really sits well and does that sound where it also kind of fills in all the gaps in the mix.

Definitely try a RM500 or 800 if you can.

As I've said before, ashdown are wonderful for getting the job done. You can tell theyve been designed and built with the aim of sitting in the mix well, rather than having a great stand alone sound that doesnt work in a mix at all.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Painy said:

Those settings are pretty much what I use with my ABM. I know a lot of people don't like the preshape because it scoops the mids so much but I find it adds a lot more weight to the sound than just boosting the lows can. Adding mids back in to compensate really brings it back into the mix with clarity but still with that huge low end that fills the room. 

I've never really gotten on with any class D amps that I've tried so far but I've yet to try the RM stuff. Given that I'm an all out Ashdown guy (and you can obviously never have enough gear) I really ought to try one out. 

That said, if I had £1200 spare I'd just buy your CTM300 and be done with. 😁

I'm becoming a bit of a fan too.  Before getting the RM I used an ABM, also have a CTM100. 

I like the RM. It's not an ABM but it's plenty close enough. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, stewblack said:

I'm becoming a bit of a fan too.  Before getting the RM I used an ABM, also have a CTM100. 

I like the RM. It's not an ABM but it's plenty close enough. 

That’s it for me as well, Stew, close enough in a format suitable for my ageing  body.

The one in my local rehearsal room sounds great in the mix, with the band.

I own a MiBass 550 and an ABM Evo III and would definitely consider buying one of these.

But I'll wait until gigs start again, if they ever do, before I spend any dosh,

Had an afternoon gig outside the Tap Social in Oxford yesterday. Used my RM500 12" combo with a 12" extension. 

So RM through two by twelve, effectively. 

It sounded righteous. The singer from one of my other bands was there to watch and said it was a perfect bass sound. Round and full of bottom but a nice cutting top. My sound not my singer. 

Never an easy gig for bass kit, outdoors, no PA support, but man it sounded good. Small, easy to load and the volume barely above bedroom levels. Very, very impressed. 

• Like 1