Why become a member? ×

Narrowing A Neck?

thebrig

Has anyone ever narrowed a neck? ie, turning a precision size neck into a jazz size neck.

I know I could do it without the frets on, but could it be done with the frets on, would I need to file the frets first with a metal file or is there a way of taking off the wood and frets at the same time?

11 minutes ago, machinehead said:

Isn't there a Precision with a narrowed neck for sale here at the moment?  I'm sure I read it this week.  Worth a look in the for sale forum and ask the seller?

Frank.

I'm looking to do another P bass self-build with a maple neck and I always prefer the jazz size necks, I usually use Squier VM or Mighty Mite necks on them but Mighty Mites are virtually impossible to find in the UK nowadays, and most maple necks on jazz basses usually have blocks which I don't like, so I was thinking of finding a Squier VM P bass with a maple neck and possibly narrowing it.

• Like 1

I’ve never done it , but looking at it from a carpentry angle, you would have to file the frets first , or remove them, and then slim the neck down with a spokeshave, I’d say it could be done but I think it would be quite a bit of work 🙂

The thread is here.  Some of the emoji's and bullet points are u/s in the thread but all the text and the photo links are still there:

According to my thread text, I used a sanding block with 80 grit wrapped round (that would have been emery cloth - the red coloured stuff you can usually find in a roll in B&Q and Homebase, etc, decorating sections.  Ditto the cork sanding blocks - cheap and cheerful).

The reason for using cloth is that the fret ends tear through sandpaper too quickly.

It doesn't take long, but you have to be careful always to be sanding from the fretboard side towards the back or along the neck edge, but again dead straight or, better, heading to the back of the neck so that the emery cloth is always pushing the frets into their slots and not out of them.  I'll draw a picture if I can.

I have also used a Shinto rasp in the past - Shinto' are great and work on metal as well as wood.  But here again, you have to be paranoid in always filing the fret ends down into their slots and never up.  Nevertheless, emery cloth works pretty quickly and is the safer option.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Andyjr1515 said:

It doesn't take long, but you have to be careful always to be sanding from the fretboard side towards the back or along the neck edge, but again dead straight or, better, heading to the back of the neck so that the emery cloth is always pushing the frets into their slots and not out of them.  I'll draw a picture if I can.

I mean like this.  So as you are sanding along the edge, either direction, you are always moving the block slightly downwards at the same time and so the frets are always being kept secure in their slots:

RlIJjlGl.jpg

• Like 1

• 5 weeks later...