Why become a member? ×

July Composition Challenge

lurksalot

Ok ladies and gents its time to start letting your creative juices run free.

The picture is below and was chosen by last months winner @NickD who provides an introduction to the image.........

"I deliberately looked for something that's completely outside of my usual style, that I don't have a hope in hell of getting something together for,  and that's in contrast to the subjects we've had recently. Also given the vagueness of the image, I think it's wide open to interpretation."

29192629818_37e6de4f2c_h.jpg.262dde5ea3a7ab251d37da75e7f9851a.jpg

get busy , entries will close at midnight on 24th July 

rules then I suppose .......

✔️ Entries must be <5 minutes and written/recorded this month.

No illegal samples or other funny business.

No bagpipes. Ever.

Okay, I'm in.

I see this as looking into the hazy past.  So I've went with a late 80's early 90's vibe.

I got a couple of new soft synths that sound fantastic, Serum & Pigments.  The other synths on this are Cypher2, Equator  & Logic's Drum Synth for the kick.

New version...  Played the bass, changed some sounds & added some textures.

I'm planning on adding some further textures & maybe add some vocals now that I have a mic (don't worry, it'll be vocoderised), but I thought I'd get my entry in. 

Edited by xgsjx
  • Like 2

OK, here goes:

This is my first entry so be gentle - I learnt quite a lot - especially the fingering change from a Cmaj to a Bmin7flat 5 is tricky if you want a clean arpeggio.  I just got a trippy vibe from the photo so I stole a Portishead bass line for the main theme - but thats OK cos they stole it from someone else.

Recorded in Cubase, using MT Power Drums. Bass is my trusty CV 70s Precision stright into the audio interface with a tough of compression. Guitars are my Patrick Eggle via a H&K TM18 which has a red box out all the distortion is from the amp. Keys are Dexed VST

Edited by Nicko
managed to embed the player
  • Like 3

I've done one!

I looked at the pic, and it struck me as indistinct, lacking in clarity... Which got me to thinking about how folks search for meaning in stuff, and how that meaning, whether it's religion, politics, art etc becomes their identity - how they hide themselves within it. So as it was all a bit Philosoftickle I felt it should in German, as all great philosophy is (😁), and hence a bit industrial. I apologise for my literal and occasionally meaningless German! And for those who don't speakadalanguage, "Versteckspiel" means Hide and Seek...

All recorded/mixed in Ableton using Loopcloud Play synths, Mr EZ on drums, glitch percussion programmed from Abstract kit and bass is an ACG.

• Like 3

Here is my contribution to the July 2020 Basschat Composition Challenge, inspired by a picture chosen by the previous winner: NickD..!
Just my luck, to fumble for my glasses and not find 'em when I need to see clearly. In desperation and eternal optimism, I sit here, day after day, hoping to catch another glimpse. Yes, I know; it's sad, but that's old age for you. 😞
A Kontakt saxophone plays the melody line, supported by the fine Ruby bass and Superior 3 drums. There's a BIAB vibraphone towards the end. The text is related by my old friend, Harry, sounding, today, rather too like David Mitchell for comfort at times. Little in the way of Fx (well, none, in fact...), just a general rolling in glitter with a coat of Ozone mastering.
Thanks for listening, if you already have; if you're about to, enjoy.

• Like 2

Jeez, I made a rod for my own back there!

My entry for the Basschat July composition Challenge, inspired by the photo chosen by last month's winner.... er.... Me! 

I initially wanted to go for a jazzy 60s lounge act feel, but struggled with the jazzy chord timing (something to work on for another time), so went back to the drawing board for the next best thing, the mid-90s, faux 60s  English indie janglepop.... You know, the ones that played authentic period instruments in the hope that they were imbued with some ancient pop magic from the ghost of Lennon.

Recorded in Cubase Elephants, I used my Jake 5 (I always do), through a sim based on an old HiWatt, and my old Westbury Standard, again through the Helix, in a patch I tweaked to get the sounds I seem to remember from that era. Vocals through a battered no-name mic with a cleaning cloth draped over it in lieu of a pop-shield, in the front room, with the sounds of next door's telly in the background. Drums courtesy of the Mrs and Roland. All plug ins are the standard Cubase ones. I really need to get into mixing and mastering, I just went through this track by track until I got it as close as I could to sounding ok, but I still wish the vocals sat in the track more. I'm sure there's a better way.

Edited by NickD
  • Like 2