Why become a member? ×

Instruments you'd buy, but wouldn't...

On 01/07/2020 at 18:40, Dan Dare said:

What also puts me off so-called signature models is that they are the same as standard models, but with an inflated price tag and a few badges, etc.

It is quite good to see one of the rare signature models that isn't like this. Some go wild. The ESP Ben Weinman is one that springs to mind. Different pickups, Evertune bridge, option of an internal wireless system, and it might have even been a shape he created if my memory serves me correctly.

The other one being the PRS SE Zach Myers, because for a while you couldn't get a PRS hollowbody for under 2 grand other than that.

Edited by LiamPodmore

• 2 weeks later...
On 02/07/2020 at 16:47, ubit said:

I have one of these and the K5 on the neck doesn't bother me. You can hardly see the signature either. My problem with it is the string spacing is so tight being an Ibanez neck.

What is the spacing

On 16/07/2020 at 22:33, Fil1ip said:

What is the spacing

• IBZ ADX5N active pickups
  • Active 3 band EQ with sweep-able mid-range control
  • Mahogany body with low-profile neck joint
  • Tough and durable 5-piece maple/bubinga neck
  • EB-7 bridge(16.5mm spacing)

Specifications

Body & Bridge

• Series: Signature
  • Body: Mahogany
  • Bridge: EB-7 bridge (16.5mm string spacing)

Neck & Fingerboard

• Neck Type: 5pc K5 Maple/Walnut neck
  • Fingerboard: Jatoba
  • Inlays: K5 Special Inlay
  • Fret: 24 Medium frets
  • Scale: 864mm/34"
  • Width at Nut: 45mm
  • Thickness: 19 .5mm at 1st fret, 21.5mm at 12th fret
  • Thickness at 12th: 21.5mm
  • Radius: 305mmR
Edited by ubit
  • Like 1

On 02/07/2020 at 10:14, Ed_S said:

As for relic jobs, the more genuinely it looks like a bass has had a hard life, the more genuinely I want to treat it to a refinish.

I'd agree with this sentiment. I've had one reasonably old bass that I acquired second hand completely refurbished and refinished, because I loved the instrument but couldn't stand how it looked with the wear.

On 02/07/2020 at 10:51, Rich said:

As far as signature basses are concerned... I would definitely consider one (even if I wasn't a fan of the player in question), IF the bass had unique design or features that particularly appealed to me. Three that spring to mind are the original Fender Urge (the 32" with the J-P-J pickups), the Fender Roscoe Beck (IMO the best bass Fender have ever produced), and the Ibanez Gary Willis fretless 5. I would never consider one purely because I liked the signature-player -- e.g. I do like and admire Mark King, but you will never find a Kingbass in my house.

And I agree with this sentiment too. In fact when I've investigated the music produced by all the people whose signature basses I've owned or lusted after, I didn't really like any of it. Their basses were still fantastic through! 

I love everything about the Marcus Miller P7 bass - from the affordable price tag, to the high mass bridge... but then I see this:

Screenshot_2020-07-19 Marcus Miller P7 Alder 4 AW 2nd Gen.png

...and I feel a little queasy. To me, the headstock shape looks really cheap and nasty and the colour of the graphic looks insipid. I'd happily use a bass with MM's name on the headstock, but not in that font, colour or position. Does this make me a bad person?

Edited by rushbo

2 hours ago, rushbo said:

To me, the headstock shape looks really cheap and nasty and the colour of the graphic looks insipid. I'd happily use a bass with MM's name on the headstock, but not in that font, colour or position.

I guess that based on some of the other comments,  it might be an advantage for the sig name to be subtly displayed?

2 hours ago, rushbo said:

I love everything about the Marcus Miller P7 bass - from the affordable price tag, to the high mass bridge... but then I see this:

Screenshot_2020-07-19 Marcus Miller P7 Alder 4 AW 2nd Gen.png

...and I feel a little queasy. To me, the headstock shape looks really cheap and nasty and the colour of the graphic looks insipid. I'd happily use a bass with MM's name on the headstock, but not in that font, colour or position. Does this make me a bad person?

Mine offended me so much, i took a jigsaw to it. 

2B1FC223-FC41-4001-A94C-C21C302CE1B3.png

• Like 5

On 01/07/2020 at 19:10, ubit said:

Same mate, I wouldn't want my team (who shall remain secret) on a guitar as it would attract unwanted attention and would spoil the intention. I said on another thread that it's like people who wear replica strips everywhere. I just don't like it.

edit: It's most likely for the American market where they don't know the tribal rivalry that goes hand in hand with British football.

Why didn't they just chuck in a sticker so if you really wanted it you could put it on? Baffling. 

• Like 1

On 01/07/2020 at 12:36, Woodinblack said:

He certainly played one with those inlays:

https://reverb.com/uk/item/17117360-gibson-nikki-sixx-owned-played-signed-thunderbird-bass-with-coa-case-motley-crue?locale=en-GB

presumably he just gets them at $1k, plays them at one gig, ships them out for $4k as a nice little earner?

I used to follow Sixx:AM on Facebook, I quite like a lot of their songs and think DJ Ashba is a great guitarist. Anyhow, Nikki was selling his basses off after each show. You could pay a huge amount of money for a meet and greet and he gives you a bass he used in that night's show. Part of the draw was this description of how he uniquely wraps each bass in tape, making each one different... Seemed a bit tacky to me, but then again the money isn't there like it was in his heyday in the 80s and if people will pay it why not? Can't blame him for making his money while he can. 

On 02/07/2020 at 08:26, T-Bay said:

I don’t think we are the target market for signature models. They are mostly aimed at the fan market- have ‘the bass your idol plays’ and you will surely sound exactly like them, or perhaps not........ I bet most end up sat in a corner or on a wall hanger.

Or maybe they grow, up realise that they're wasting their lives and have a good, long look at themselves in the mirror before deciding to be better people.

Oh, right, I think I misinterpreted your post...