Why become a member? ×

Instruments you'd buy, but wouldn't...

1 hour ago, T-Bay said:

It can also have a negative effect, I like the Geddy Lee signature Jazz but would be reluctant to own one as I am not a fan of his.

I had a geddy lee signature jazz, because it was a jazz with a thin neck and it played well. A signature version doesn't really affect me as long as it doesn't make it uglier. His has a signature on the back of the headstock, I have no issue with that.

As a big fan of the Thunderbird, I cringe at the sight of the offshoots that have sprung up over recent decades. I don't care how great they play/sound/weigh etc. IMHO, they're bastardised monstrosities!

Ibanez and Yamaha's have never appealed either!

Jackshit.jpg

lull.jpg

1 hour ago, police squad said:

I had the Sting signature bass. It was a lovely instrument. No one ever commented on it being the Sting bass. Most people dont care.

I certainly wouldn't notice if someone had a sting signature bass, so not sure why anyone else would unless they were a real sting fanboi.

58 minutes ago, Ed_S said:

On-topic, this is one I'd really like if it weren't for the inlay and headstock scribble:

p_region_K5_BKF_1P_07.png

As for relic jobs, the more genuinely it looks like a bass has had a hard life, the more genuinely I want to treat it to a refinish.

Isn't that pretty similar to many other black SR basses without the scribble?

Didn't they do a white one once with a white fretboard? I would have got that due to the aforementioned white fretboard

2 minutes ago, pst62 said:

As a big fan of the Thunderbird, I cringe at the sight of the offshoots that have sprung up over recent decades. I don't care how great they play/sound/weigh etc. IMHO, they're bastardised monstrosities!

Jackshit.jpg

lull.jpg

The lull is good, the jackson not so much. Trouble is the headstock on the thunderbird is always going to be bad. I think lull got it right there, although high fret access and lack of the 5th string are always going to be an issue for me.

6 minutes ago, Woodinblack said:

Trouble is the headstock on the thunderbird is always going to be bad. 

I love them, IMHO they look fantastic, you've just gotta be careful with them! The lull headstock looks like something you'd see on a cheapo Strat copy, and the Jackson, well the hideousness speaks for itself.

Just now, Woodinblack said:

I certainly wouldn't notice if someone had a sting signature bass, so not sure why anyone else would unless they were a real sting fanboi.

Isn't that pretty similar to many other black SR basses without the scribble?

Didn't they do a white one once with a white fretboard? I would have got that due to the aforementioned white fretboard

I had somebody quiz me on the Roger Waters P that I had for a while... I really know nothing about him other than the obvious, and am fairly indifferent to his band, so it made for a difficult conversation given that you could tell the guy was a superfan and thought I was as well. Probably thought I was a bit of a prat for saying "sorry.. dunno mate.. it's just a black p-bass to me" or brief words to that effect as I bundled my gear off stage to let the next band go on. By extension that's probably his lasting memory of my band, so given that in the original metal scene you really can't lose 50% of your average mid-week crowd, I'd have preferred not to have been in that position.

The SR is similar to many others, yeah - I guess they're all much of a muchness! That one just really appealed to me when I was browsing round the local shop and they had one in... the finish was much better than the weathered black 305 and it just felt good.. but the inlay killed it dead.

I really.. REALLY.. like the look of the red Adam Nitti 5 string too, and that pretty much has nothing to say it's a signature apart from the price, but again, I don't know anything about the guy and I've never knowingly heard him play a single note. Might remedy that this afternoon and see what he's about.

Not sure about a white fretboard one - that wouldn't have appealed to me very much had I seen it, so maybe scrolled on fairly quickly!

22 minutes ago, pst62 said:

Jackshit.jpg

lull.jpg

Ha! That Jackson's great.. I want one :) Though I've just googled it and seen one with a trem... that's taking it too far!

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Ed_S said:

I had somebody quiz me on the Roger Waters P that I had for a while... I really know nothing about him other than the obvious, and am fairly indifferent to his band, so it made for a difficult conversation given that you could tell the guy was a superfan and thought I was as well.

I liked teh Roger Waters P for a P bass, on the basis it was a nice colour scheme, couldn't care if it was a roger waters one, I mean he wasn't exactly a bass genius was he!

1 hour ago, ubit said:

I would love a real relic, aged instrument from the 60's but unfortunately for a man of my means I can't afford thousands of pounds, plus modern lacquers don't age in the same way as the old nitro. That is why I will have to live with relic'ed copies.

I've squirrelled away enough over the years and while I feel I have some dreamy basses, if a decent 60s Thunderbird II came up, I'd consider it.  Anything else, nah.

25 minutes ago, Woodinblack said:

I liked teh Roger Waters P for a P bass, on the basis it was a nice colour scheme, couldn't care if it was a roger waters one, I mean he wasn't exactly a bass genius was he!

Possibly not the right thing to have said to the guy I encountered, but no.. I’ve never thought so myself!

Was a nice enough bass - the colour scheme was cool but I actually ended up taking the black hardware off it and putting chrome bits on to match the tuners - partly preference and partly to un-roger it. Either way it sounded great, but the neck was a bit too chunky for my liking and I’d just gone the Sandberg SL route so was raising cash to recoup some of that outlay and it ended up leaving along with a MIJ 70s FSR P.

I miss that one much more but it was too damn heavy and, come to think of it, had the other thing that I would walk past any instrument for having these days no matter how much I liked it; body-end truss rod adjustment that needs the neck taking off to access!

2 hours ago, pst62 said:

Jackshit.jpg

I'm the opposite! I MUCH prefer the looks, feel and (in particular) sound of my Spectorbird NS2X, Fernandes Non-Reverse Spectorbird copy, Jackson TBird and Fernandes TBird to any Gibson/Epi Tbird I've owned or played.... ;)

Edited by cetera
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, pst62 said:

lull.jpg

That Lull is gorgeous. I bet it still neckdives though :lol: 
The Jackson, well, as you can see I've deleted the pic from this quote and that's because I couldn't bear to look at it again... 

• Haha 1

31 minutes ago, Rich said:

That Lull is gorgeous. I bet it still neckdives though :lol: 
The Jackson, well, as you can see I've deleted the pic from this quote and that's because I couldn't bear to look at it again... 

It is so nice I can even bear the sunburst!

6 hours ago, Ed_S said:

Just because of the way a lot of people seem to be wired up to think these days, I keep clear of signature models. I rarely know anything at all about the artist behind a signature bass I like the look of, so that'd probably just result in awkward conversations with people at gigs who do. But if your chosen celebrity misbehaves in some way or is shown to have done so in the past, depending on the severity you could be left with more than a few songs to cut out of the covers set; you could have a few grand tied up in an instrument you're uncomfortable to play and can't sell.

On-topic, this is one I'd really like if it weren't for the inlay and headstock scribble:

p_region_K5_BKF_1P_07.png

As for relic jobs, the more genuinely it looks like a bass has had a hard life, the more genuinely I want to treat it to a refinish.

I have one of these and the K5 on the neck doesn't bother me. You can hardly see the signature either. My problem with it is the string spacing is so tight being an Ibanez neck.

4 hours ago, NancyJohnson said:

I've squirrelled away enough over the years and while I feel I have some dreamy basses, if a decent 60s Thunderbird II came up, I'd consider it.  Anything else, nah.

Mate, I would love an old 60's Thunderbird. I have always liked them and the closest Ive got is an Epiphone one which was rubbish really.

On 01/07/2020 at 12:16, TRBboy said:

If you're keen on an LPJ or melody maker, you should check out Gordon Smith Guitars - their GS1 model is basically the same, but they're hand-built on the UK, much nicer instruments (IMHO), and cheaper. There's usually some on ebay too. I played one back when I was on guitar duty, and it was epic. Later commissioned a GS2 which was incredible and would give any LP a run for its money. Both sadly now long gone.... 😔

Another +1 for Gordon Smith.

My first decent guitar was an '86 Gordon Smith GS1 that I bought used in 1993. It was a fantastic guitar that I regret selling.

• Like 1

Takemine TB10. 

I would absolutely love one of these, but I play in two bands, one Mod/Northern Soul/Ska so won't be used there, and the other I solely play doublebass in. I could use it in that band but don't want to not play doublebass and there's no way I'm taking both and swapping for songs, so I know it just won't get used and at well over two grand they're not exactly cheap. 

Doesn't stop me having one in my Thomann basket though, keeping an eye on the fluctuating prices. 😁

I'd jump at a second hand one as I could have my fun and move it on if necessary but you just don't see them.