Why become a member? ×

Repairing a WAL Pro bass

Has anyone had problems with the controls on a WAL Pro bass. I didn't appreciate just how unique the knobs were until I tried to get a repair done. There are stalks that connect from the knob to the pot and these have sheared off on a couple of controls. The technician managed to repair these by glueing new ends on so that I could at least play the instrument. I can use all but one control were the glued on part came off. I don't know if WAL still supplies spare parts for these. I sent an email but no response. They might just be busy or in lockdown so I will wait and see. I guess I could probably get someone to custom make the stalks. Anyone else had this problem?

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I haven't had to replace any of my Pro's pot shafts since my roadie trod on it the 80s. It was easy then, but now I'm not so sure. Paul's always been pretty good at answering emails in the past, I scored some new knobs from him last year via email. I imagine if he's not answering at the moment it will be covid-related somehow. Definitely worth trying the phone.
If I'd thought about it back in the day, I'd have ordered more new shafts than I needed so I had some spares. Hindsight eh? 

I don’t know how feasible it is for you to get the bass to Paul but if I got another Pro (on the wish list) I’d definitely get him to change the pots for metal ones, as I mentioned above. I was always on pins with my last one; I’m a bit weird about having breakable stuff that’s difficult to replace, it doesn’t sit well at all. I want backups for my backups!

• 3 weeks later...

I had the same problem with broken pot shafts on a Pro 1e – Paul sent a replacement but I ended up sending the pre-amp to him as I wasn't confident of doing it properly – I think he has older parts in stock as I bought a battery cover replacement too 

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...

i still have the original pots from my pro2E, pete said dump them and sent me some solid shaft ones like gray plastic you have to cut down slightly, i think i had to widen the holes slightly as well.

Also done a number of jobs on my custom bass and for a few guys on here also, main problem when you get lack of punch and lowish power is the two electro caps by the transformer, if if goes dead completely or again intermittent on and off then there is an earth pin that goes right through the board to take it to the back of the board, i re soldered that and bingo, good as new, worth a check, what else,,,, oh yea the jack plug twisting when it becomes loose over the years of playing and it twists the button cap leg shorting out something and also if it twists so far the tip of the jack plug connector that shuts of the battery will shot out against the back tone pot steel laminate, so if loose make sure you tighten it as soon as, you can do a mod or get it done at wal if its the older wal to have the battery shut off on the pot ( turn and click for off)  like the later ones.

Just thinking about that, there is no reason you could not do that the the pro2E or 1E, so .... while you are fitting a new pot fit one with a master shut off switch also and switch out the earth ? save you taking the jack out and if like me you used one jack to the amp and the di to the desk then that would save you taking both out and looking for them when you go back on. 🙂 im sure paul could do something here.

Edited by funkgod