Why become a member? ×

NBD - Moollon P-Classic IV - Audio clips added

Sibob

Tone full: The Moollon sounded brighter but I guess that could be the strings? Basic tone was almost identical to my old, knackered ears and both are brilliant, classic P-bass tones with the Moollon winning out because it sounds so plummy and round, yet super articulate.

Tone off: The Fender had the edge here for me, sounding a bit punchier, with the Moollon smoother and darker overall. If forced to guess why, I'd suggest a more harsh treble cut from the capacitor (maybe a different value) but it might be down to other factors I suppose. Probably academic as the slightest little bit of an adjustment to open the Moollon's tone control a tiny bit would almost certainly get them tonally closer.

Please take all this with a pinch of salt as I'm no expert. What I did hear were great P-bass tones played really well. It's making me want a P, despite my (admittedly cheaper) two basses both having a P pickup. They're close but don't seem to do that classic 70s P sound I hear on so many funk and jazz records.

Edited by Baceface
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, Baceface said:

Tone full: The Moollon sounded brighter but I guess that could be the strings? Basic tone was almost identical to my old, knackered ears and both are brilliant, classic P-bass tones with the Moollon winning out because it sounds so plummy and round, yet super articulate.

Tone off: The Fender had the edge here for me, sounding a bit punchier, with the Moollon smoother and darker overall. If forced to guess why, I'd suggest a more harsh treble cut from the capacitor (maybe a different value) but it might be down to other factors I suppose. Probably academic as the slightest little bit of an adjustment to open the Moollon's tone control a tiny bit would probably equalise the difference.

Please take all this with a pinch of salt as I'm no expert. What I did hear were great P-bass tones played really well. It's making me want a P, despite my (admittedly cheaper) two basses both having a P pickup. They're close but don't seem to do that classic 70s P sound I hear on so many funk and jazz records.

I should add that my hearing is partially fecked, so I bow to your superior ears 😀

I should also say that the Moollon is a little bit louder too, not by much, but it's audible. I matched the levels in Logic as best I could to keep it purely about tone.

Si

Edited by Sibob
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, Sibob said:

I should also say that the Moollon is a little bit louder too, not by much, but it's audible. I matched the levels in Logic as best I could to keep it purely about tone.

Si

...and it is, as they say, ALL about the tone.

Thanks so much Si for taking the time to do it. You suggested you would and I didn’t want to nag you.

Great playing as well by the way.

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, hiram.k.hackenbacker said:

I should add that my hearing is partially fecked, so I bow to your superior ears 😀

My "superior" ears have been decidedly inferior since the first concert I attended, which was Motörhead in 1979!
I'm just reacting to what I am hearing (from a pair Yamaha monitors, not headphones). 
What I often find with these A/B tests is that, although one might be able to detect a difference of sorts, both sounds are excellent and my preference would be for whatever instrument (a) costs less (b) feels nicer to play or, and this is the most likely, (c) is the best colour.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Baceface said:

My "superior" ears have been decidedly inferior since the first concert I attended, which was Motörhead in 1979!
I'm just reacting to what I am hearing (from a pair Yamaha monitors, not headphones). 
What I often find with these A/B tests is that, although one might be able to detect a difference of sorts, both sounds are excellent and my preference would be for whatever instrument (a) costs less (b) feels nicer to play or, and this is the most likely, (c) is the best colour.

Strangely enough, Lemmy and Co were responsible for most of my hearing loss. I remember seeing them at Hammersmith in 1970something and there was a bloke at the front with his head IN one of the bass bins. I often wonder if he is still alive. Here I am at the front at Brixton seen on their ‘25 & Alive’ DVD (I’m the one with the white t-shirt underneath my newly acquired gig shirt).

0A02C34A-51EF-4A54-AA3A-EEBD9FF3889A.png

• Like 1

I just used the speaker in my tablet to remove any notion of hifi reproduction. Tone open: I couldn’t tell the difference, even knowing where the change was and playing that section over and over. Tone closed: the Moolon is darker and reminds me of my old ‘63 P (same colour way by coincidence). Both most definitely P basses, both very, very nice.

3 hours ago, ezbass said:

I just used the speaker in my tablet to remove any notion of hifi reproduction. Tone open: I couldn’t tell the difference, even knowing where the change was and playing that section over and over. Tone closed: the Moolon is darker and reminds me of my old ‘63 P (same colour way by coincidence). Both most definitely P basses, both very, very nice.

How weird, I found the biggest difference with tone open (clip one) and struggled more with the tone closed. To my ears there is more bottom end to the 71 with the bite, and I find with modern passive basses when you add bite (tone) it often takes out some of the depth. 

I don't own a vintage fender to compare it to but I do have a MIM p bass with the same strings (about a month old) and Lindy Fralin PU's and I would say the tone (especially open) is not far off the Moollon which surprised me. Obviously the Moollon will be a superior instrument in every other way.

40 minutes ago, OliverBlackman said:

How weird, I found the biggest difference with tone open (clip one) and struggled more with the tone closed. To my ears there is more bottom end to the 71 with the bite, and I find with modern passive basses when you add bite (tone) it often takes out some of the depth. 

I don't own a vintage fender to compare it to but I do have a MIM p bass with the same strings (about a month old) and Lindy Fralin PU's and I would say the tone (especially open) is not far off the Moollon which surprised me. Obviously the Moollon will be a superior instrument in every other way.

I've just listened again but this time with headphones. This time I could hear the difference in the open tone position, but only just barely. The difference with the tone closed was still there, but more pronounced. For the record, I have tinnitus and high end loss in both ears, more so in the left. Given this, a nice passive bass is literally music to my ears :) .

that was good to hear. 

listened with headphones, and then went and got my fancy studio monitor cans to hear even better... 

to my ears the '71 is fatter in the bottom, which makes it a wee bit more flabby. the Moollon sounds more even string to string and is slightly more punchy... all of which could be down to the age of the strings! 

16 hours ago, LukeFRC said:

@Sibob - what do you perceive the differences to be tonally and while playing? 

I guess if we're all here going "they sound really similar", do you agree, and how will you be using them both?

My feeling is that the tonal differences with the tone all the way open is 80% strings tbh. I think once I put 3 years gigs onto these Moollon La Bella’s like the ‘71 ones have, it’s going to be even closer. 
That said, I hear the difference with the tone ‘off’ too, the Moollon is rounder/smoother, and a little more ‘muscular’ to my ears. Not better, just different. Probably just a capacitor difference though.

Feel wise, the M has the 60’s ‘C’ neck over the Fenders ‘B’. So a bit more shallow (front to back) and a bit wider. While I really love the neck on my ‘71, the M’s neck is super comfortable to play to me!

As someone mentioned, almost certainly the Moollon is just more consistent, as a ‘new’ instrument you’d expect that. But I think it’s going to age beautifully and just get better and better!

As for what I use them both for, while I don’t get super worried about gigging my ‘71, I anticipate the M taking over the bulk of the gigs tbh, although I’ll probably interchange them a little. Ultimately they do the same job, a P with flats. The ‘71 has been with me for 7 years or so, and isn’t going anywhere...but the Moollon is ‘mine’ if that makes sense....all the wear and history will be from me 😊

Si

Edited by Sibob
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 04/07/2020 at 00:32, Sibob said:

Si

Both sound great. TBH such minor difference in tone, neither 'better', probably as much down to fractionally heavier, brand new flats on the Moollon. 

• Like 1

Hmm, congrats to your new moollon.. how do you compare it with US Lakland? I know they both have bit different approach (pure vintage Vs modern vintage on Glaub) but I mean craftsmanship, fret ends, radius, setup ability, playability etc.. thanks for your opinion.

2 hours ago, davidak said:

Hmm, congrats to your new moollon.. how do you compare it with US Lakland? I know they both have bit different approach (pure vintage Vs modern vintage on Glaub) but I mean craftsmanship, fret ends, radius, setup ability, playability etc.. thanks for your opinion.

Hi there,

You’re quite right in how you reference the differences between the Lakland US 44-64 I had (which I sold to pay for the Moollon), and now the P-Classic IV.

The 44-64 was very much ‘modern vintage’, basically 60’s spec, but poly finish and a more modern pickup wind. Whereas the Moollon is as close as they can to 60’s vintage (ebony board excluded, although it looks the part).

Other than that, I’d say they were equal with regards to general fit, finish and overall quality, both excellent.

I still have my Lakland US 44-94, and it’s one of my fave basses ever.

I should also mention that Lakland have a lot more customisable options available, if that’s important to you.

Si

Edited by Sibob

Thanks for putting up the clips - it is the kind of thing I always mean to do but never get around to.  Interesting the consensus around the tone.  I guess I'd characterise the '71 open as 'authoritative' rather than 'flabby' as it sounds a little deeper, but then I'm a bass junkie!  I liked the openness and clarity of the Moollon with the tone open, but the '71 won for me with the tone down.  On the whole you're right - they are different rather than better/worse!

Really made me want to get some flats on my bass!

• Like 1