Why become a member? ×

NBD - Moollon P-Classic IV - Audio clips added

Sibob

So after ordering 11months ago (almost to the day), my Moollon P-Classic IV has arrived. It got delayed by about a month due to Covid-related logistics issues, but other than that, it was a smooth ride from start to finish.

I primarily went with Moollon because I don’t believe that there’s anyone hand-building instruments from scratch (Including hardware) to this level of ‘vintage Fender’ for this kinda price. Plus Tim Lefebvre and Kevin Scott rock my world lol.

Had it strung with La Bella 760FS from factory, because that’s what will live on it for long-term I imagine.

374E626A-F68E-4705-8B52-C6C9AF7878DE.thumb.jpeg.96d9f6dac524fa05a5e1b55e13f61667.jpeg

3E50C5B8-88BE-458F-BF97-4BD117569662.thumb.jpeg.2b37a6bd1b665c9525b0c1564666f642.jpeg

B0D4CF0D-989E-474F-965D-40885874BFDF.thumb.jpeg.ca5b0df13eb317bb09264530c1bee3e5.jpeg

And with my 1971 Precision (because why not):

B52D6195-719C-4032-90B9-FBB2552047C7.thumb.jpeg.53e93d5aca4b78a22d16fa778cabc903.jpeg

48BE95A5-D418-4CCE-BA61-CC8DAED5ECD4.thumb.jpeg.f2cb682a64c087bfe9033901f7daa86f.jpeg

Cheers
Si

Edited by Sibob
  • Like 15

6 hours ago, hiram.k.hackenbacker said:

Just answered my own question I think. Macassar Ebony?

Indeed ☺️

6 hours ago, Drax said:

Great spec choices, what a beauty. Be interested to hear how it stacks up next to your '71.. 

Yeah I’ll do a quick little audio comparison with my ‘71 just for fun.

Si

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Kevsy71 said:

What a beauty Si! What are your thoughts on the neck playabaility?

So far I love it, I know the C-width Precision neck is a bit love/hate with bassists, but I’ve had it before and kinda miss it on my ‘71 (B-width).

But yes, very playable!

Si

• Like 1

2 hours ago, TRBboy said:

Very nice indeed, congrats! Don't even want to ask how much.... 

You’d be surprised (although “a lot” is of course subjective), but worked out to about £1900 inc import/vat costs etc

Si

• Like 3

7 hours ago, Sibob said:

You’d be surprised (although “a lot” is of course subjective), but worked out to about £1900 inc import/vat costs etc

Si

Wow, that's certainly less than I would've guessed having read about the work that goes into these basses. And less than an actual vintage fender! 

13 hours ago, Sibob said:

Si

Fantastic looking bass - and as for the price that is pleasantly surprising. How much choice do you have on the neck width and profile??

• Like 1

1 hour ago, GazWills said:

Fantastic looking bass - and as for the price that is pleasantly surprising. How much choice do you have on the neck width and profile??

Not much at all, by design. Moollon have their P-Classic, and their J-Classic, they have their specs based on the builder's old Fenders, and they don't deviate from them. They are meant to be vintage correct instruments, not a custom spec build. They have a full FAQ on their Facebook where they openly say 'if you're looking for a customisable spec, go to another fantastic builder like Sadowsky or Lull etc, but if you're looking for a vintage spec P or J, that's what Moollon do.

However, they do let you chop them about, so if you wanted a J-Classic neck on a P-Classic, totally fine.

Si

Edited by Sibob
  • Like 4

7 minutes ago, Sibob said:

Not much at all, by design. Moollon have their P-Classic, and their J-Classic, they have their specs based on the builder's old Fenders, and they don't deviate from them. They are meant to be vintage correct instruments, not a custom spec build. They have a full FAQ on their Facebook where they openly say 'if you're looking for a customisable spec, go to another fantastic builder like Sadowsky or Lull etc, but if you're looking for a vintage spec P or J, that's what Moollon do.

Si

Good question and a great answer. I shall be investigating. Thanks to you both 👍

That's beautiful. There's something Zen-like about a classic P in a classic colour done so nicely.

I like the simplicity of their approach too. Classic designs done really well with limited options. The options that they do offer being completely worthwhile (e.g. J neck on a P).

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Sibob said:

However, they do let you chop them about, so if you wanted a J-Classic neck on a P-Classic, totally fine.

Si

I hate to nitpick but how can they be vintage correct if they use ebony instead of Brazilian rosewood?

Lovely looking bass btw!

37 minutes ago, ClassicVibes said:

I hate to nitpick but how can they be vintage correct if they use ebony instead of Brazilian rosewood?

Lovely looking bass btw!

Quite right, but Brazilian Rosewood would be incredibly restrictive from a shipping point of view, as well as increasing the price a lot.

So YJ chose ebony for its darkness (very similar to BR), and stability.

If someone wanted to be truer to the ‘vintage’, they obviously offer maple too.

Si

14 minutes ago, hiram.k.hackenbacker said:

I really like the look of the ebony fingerboard. It looks really classy and I’m sure it sounds fab too.

I was thinking about ordering something like Andrea’s P bass, but that ebony board looks lush.

3F68DAD6-D88C-434C-9971-360ED0253904.jpeg

Yeah I mean that spec is basically Kevin Scott’s Moollon, although I can’t see if Andrea’s Fender is OW or ‘Blonde’.

Si

• Like 1

-*Headphones Needed*-

Quick comparison between my 1971 Fender Precision (3yr old La Bella 760FL strings) and my 2020 Moollon P-Classic (new La Bella 760FS strings).

'71 is first, goes through both sections (16bars), then starts again with the Moollon through both sections again (another 16 bars).

Tone fully ON:

Tone fully OFF:

Cheers

Si

Edited by Sibob
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, Sibob said:

-*Headphones Needed*-

Quick comparison between my 1971 Fender Precision (3yr old La Bella 760FL strings) and my 2020 Moollon P-Classic (new La Bella 760FS strings).

'71 is first, goes through both sections (16bars), then starts again with the Moollon through both sections again (another 16 bars).

Tone fully ON:

Tone fully OFF:

Cheers

Si

Oo oo oo - rushes to find headphones........