deadline

Squier CV Jaguar Bass replacement pickups

Hi!

I have one of these basses coming my way, but I want to replace the pickups with something hotter. I am considering this set from Aguilar, but have some questions. The Jaguar comes with two stacked pots; Vol/Tone for P pickup and Vol/Tone for J pickup. Will this be an issue when mounting these pickups, or will I get exactly the same functionality as the stock pickups?

I am kinda new to this, but try to learn. Thanks in advance! :)

Edited by deadline

What @miles'tone says. People have this strange mindset that they have to change stuff, without even trying it. I went through this phase myself, but most of the time the benefit was minimal.

Something I have found is that some upgrades with pickups, bridges and even strings work, sometimes they don't. There's been many a time I changed pickups, only to change them back to the original, as they sounded better against the so say upgrade!

• Like 1

Hi, and thank you for replies! Thing is, I am a tinkerer by nature. Been building custom PCs for ages, and want to learn more about how a bass works. Maybe or maybe not I will be happy with switching pickups, potmeters, and all the other things, but I want the know how. :)

2 minutes ago, deadline said:

Hi, and thank you for replies! Thing is, I am a tinkerer by nature. Been building custom PCs for ages, and want to learn more about how a bass works. Maybe or maybe not I will be happy with switching pickups, potmeters, and all the other things, but I want the know how. :)

The best way to scratch that itch is to buy a kit bass, or assemble all the parts and build a bass yourself from scratch.

I've done this, and for me, it showed me its better to buy a decent bass second hand, then buy a bass and mod it. I've modded dozens of basses and my main bass is a stock Yamaha.

• Like 1

The fundamental problem with modding pickups is that it's difficult to audition them. Best plan for tinkerers (imo) is to change the loom and pots first. Then see how you like the original pickups.

• Like 1

I totally get the tinkering thing 😄

From my own experience I've found that as long as the stock pickups are decent (which the CV Jags are it seems, from the demos I've seen) then the mod money is better spent on a Zoom B1 Four which will make it sound like anything you please.

Each to their own though! 👍

Edited by miles'tone
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Trueno said:

The fundamental problem with modding pickups is that it's difficult to audition them. Best plan for tinkerers (imo) is to change the loom and pots first. Then see how you like the original pickups.

Googled a little, and that is sound advice. Will start there, and thanks!

• Like 1

Btw, forgot my original question. Is it possible to have two indidividual tone controls for any given PJ pickup set? 😇

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By MB99
      Hi everyone,

Pretty new to the forum and I'm mostly a lurker but here for sale is my Fender Flea Signature Active Jazz Bass in satin shell pink. 

Anyone who has played these will know that they are a phenomenal. The neck is smooth and fast and the pickup sounds amazing. However, I'm just not a fan of active basses! I love the sound but definitely think I'm much more suited to something a little more traditional/lower output. 
      The bass is in great condition with a tiny mark on the body and some slight shining/patina on the top of the headstock. 
      I've posted this up on eBay and Reverb as I'm looking to sell reasonably quickly. New price is £1000 but will listen to offers still.
      I sadly don't have any packing materials/boxes so can only offer collection only at the moment. I'm based in New Cross, SE London so if anyone wants to buy/trade you'll need a way of getting to me.

Hopefully these images upload properly so you can see it in all its glory! If not, here is the eBay listing (if that's allowed on here): https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Fender-Flea-Signature-Active-Jazz-Bass-Shell-Pink/284238569360?hash=item422df05f90:g:SiYAAOSwJLtgYtO0

IMG_2507.HEIC
    • By Embra
      I’m having a big clear of some seriously good bass pedals. All these pedals have never been gigged and come from a smoke-free environment. They will be posted via Royal Mail, insured and properly packaged in bubblewrap to keep them safe. All prices include postage.

FEA Opti-Fet £240
      First off is an FEA Opti-Fet compressor which I bought direct from Frank in Feb 2017. It’s been a favourite since then but I’m struggling to justify keeping it (also have an Cali76 CB and an Empress Bass Compressor - despite the Opti-Fet’s gorgeous warm sounds, I really prefer comps with a blend knob).
      It’s never been gigged and comes from a smoke-free environment. Apart from the chips in the paint work you can see in the photos, it’s in excellent condition. Check out the great review in Ovnilab as well as the builder’s webpage here. For those of you with a ShiftLine Olympic, this compressor is sublime in its loop

Broughton Audio Resonant Filter Equalizer £200
      Next up, another rarity from across the pond. Broughton Audio’s Resonant Filter Equalizer is an amazing HPF, LPF and mid EQ combo with resonance control on the filters. This is an amazing shaper of your bass sound helping to tighten up the low end and smooth out HF pedals like fuzz or synth. I also have a Broughton Studio One (which will never leave me) and the small Always On HPF and even though the RFE is the more versatile HPF/LPF, the other two are mainstays on my two boards and the RFE hasn’t been used in several months. It’s in excellent condition apart from a few scuff marks on the right side near the top (see photos).

Damnation Audio MBD2 overdrive/distortion £180
      A very versatile distortion pedal which excels at light overdrive as well as in-your-face distortion. Has a parallel clean channel too to keep the bass intact. I used it 99% for overdrive and it’s up there with the best I’ve used over the years. It’s in excellent condition.

Aguilar Grape Phaser £130
      Lovely phaser with a very simply interface - just find your sound and forget it. Definitely not one for the knob twiddlers but if you just want one great phaser sound, this is your pedal. I tend to go through phases with my modulation choice (excuse pun) so this is on it’s way out to be replaced by a flanger (again…).

Solidgoldfx Funklite £140
      Nifty little filter pedal in excellent condition. Lightly used and still looks new. From the website:
      Only three controls: Depth, Freq(uency) and Attack. A toggle switch changes the direction of the sweep. Depth adjusts the intensity of the filter sweep, from shallow cuts to deep scallops, while the Freq control adjusts the center frequency of the sweep. The Attack control adjusts two parameters at once—the sensitivity of the filter opening and the decay of the overall tone. As you might expect, these three controls are incredibly interactive, with a multitude of funktions on tap.

• By Risk101
      ****************PRICE UPDATE******************** NOW £1,000 SHIPPED (UK)***********************European Shipping at cost
      So this was my first foray into the world of P Bass and I absolutely love it - however, as a solely (up until then!) 5 string player, I have now seen a 5 string PJ I want, so this has to go.
      Serial number suggests a 2009 build, and is in excellent condition, recently re-strung with Rotosound flats. No marks, chips, scratches,  in the gloss black body, just the usual little swirls etc on the pick guard. Small scuff to rear of headstock, which you can just see in the picture.  Has active/passive switching and you can pan between the P or J pickups or of course a blend of the two. Sounds just like a "traditional" P bass in passive mode panned to the P pickup, but bring the Jazz pickup in adds that extra tonal qualities.
      - 3 band EQ and tone control when in passive mode.
      - 41mm at the nut.
      - 18/19mm string spacing at bridge (neck through body stringing or top-load, whichever you prefer).
      - weight around 4.1kg. Balances nicely on the strap.
      - Has all the original case candy, receipts, documents etc. Case is built like a tank.
      PM me if interested - I can ship.

• By horrorshowbass
      As the title says.
      The 3 contenders for my next jazz.
      Help me decide guys, anyone with any experience?
      The v9 looks the business and is cheaper than the player series, Sandberg around 700 but lovely too.
    • By JeezyMcNuggles
      So, my pickups showed up today. I dig'em. They kinda got a solid modern tone. Like, a "studio tone" if you would. Slightly scooped. But, not dull and honky like other noiseless jazz pickups. Where they sound more like splits or humbuckers. And, they are very responsive. Fender done did pretty good with these guys. Check it out.

Oh FYI, 
      Apparently you do not need a ground. Like, at all on your bass. It won't hum any more or less than normal, and it will work perfectly fine all in all without it. Because, as it turns out, my bass didn't even have a ground connected at all. No wire ran. Whatsoever. And, it worked just fine in all aspects. Weird right? Learn something new every day.