Why become a member? ×

Squier CV Jaguar Bass replacement pickups

deadline

Hi!

I have one of these basses coming my way, but I want to replace the pickups with something hotter. I am considering this set from Aguilar, but have some questions. The Jaguar comes with two stacked pots; Vol/Tone for P pickup and Vol/Tone for J pickup. Will this be an issue when mounting these pickups, or will I get exactly the same functionality as the stock pickups?

I am kinda new to this, but try to learn. Thanks in advance! :)

Edited by deadline

What @miles'tone says. People have this strange mindset that they have to change stuff, without even trying it. I went through this phase myself, but most of the time the benefit was minimal.

Something I have found is that some upgrades with pickups, bridges and even strings work, sometimes they don't. There's been many a time I changed pickups, only to change them back to the original, as they sounded better against the so say upgrade!

• Like 1

Hi, and thank you for replies! Thing is, I am a tinkerer by nature. Been building custom PCs for ages, and want to learn more about how a bass works. Maybe or maybe not I will be happy with switching pickups, potmeters, and all the other things, but I want the know how. :)

2 minutes ago, deadline said:

Hi, and thank you for replies! Thing is, I am a tinkerer by nature. Been building custom PCs for ages, and want to learn more about how a bass works. Maybe or maybe not I will be happy with switching pickups, potmeters, and all the other things, but I want the know how. :)

The best way to scratch that itch is to buy a kit bass, or assemble all the parts and build a bass yourself from scratch.

I've done this, and for me, it showed me its better to buy a decent bass second hand, then buy a bass and mod it. I've modded dozens of basses and my main bass is a stock Yamaha.

• Like 1

I totally get the tinkering thing 😄

From my own experience I've found that as long as the stock pickups are decent (which the CV Jags are it seems, from the demos I've seen) then the mod money is better spent on a Zoom B1 Four which will make it sound like anything you please.

Each to their own though! 👍

Edited by miles'tone
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Trueno said:

The fundamental problem with modding pickups is that it's difficult to audition them. Best plan for tinkerers (imo) is to change the loom and pots first. Then see how you like the original pickups.

Googled a little, and that is sound advice. Will start there, and thanks!

• Like 1