Why become a member? ×

P bass string gauge

DNC29

Oh my there's some heavy gauge strings suggested ...

I'm obviously a wimp but I prefer 40 - 100 gauge and have used DR Sunbeams for a number of years.  These are nickel and have a long life, losing their trebleness gradually.  

I prefer light gauge because it just feels right in my hands.  

Experiment till you find what you like.  My recommendation is to stick with a single manufacturer - try all their strings and when you have found your fave try similar strings from other brands.

Peace

Davo

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Davo-London said:

Oh my there's some heavy gauge strings suggested ...

I'm obviously a wimp but I prefer 40 - 100 gauge and have used DR Sunbeams for a number of years.  These are nickel and have a long life, losing their trebleness gradually.  

I prefer light gauge because it just feels right in my hands.  

Experiment till you find what you like.  My recommendation is to stick with a single manufacturer - try all their strings and when you have found your fave try similar strings from other brands.

Peace

Davo

Me too Davo, put a bass in my hands with 45's and I can barely play it. Give me a bass with 40s and I can't play it either, but at least I can go through the motions

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

I'm always amazed at the number of people on Basschat who use flats. I can only think of one guy on the circuit around here who uses flats on one of his basses - everyone else uses rounds! 

Personally, I use 45-105 nickel hex core roundwounds - DR lo-rider or D'addario XLs (slightly cheaper option). I do sometimes use heavier gauge DR DDT sets for when I have to tune down for certain gigs (although my P bass always stays in concert). 

• Like 1

On 03/07/2020 at 06:22, peteb said:

I'm always amazed at the number of people on Basschat who use flats. I can only think of one guy on the circuit around here who uses flats on one of his basses - everyone else uses rounds! 

It is perplexing. I understand SS Rounds not being many players 'cup of tea' but popular for those who, Tap, Slap and Chord a lot.

But with NPS  Round or Hex core, and Pure Nickle available allows the Gigging Player much more options of tone with minimal EQ and ability to cut through or just blend in mix same with recording. [thump or pop]

Most 'Flaters' seem very content and their preferences are just as valid as mine but like you I don't [and haven't in past] seen many top local Rock, pop, RnB Bassist using Flats live

On 03/07/2020 at 11:22, peteb said:

IMO flats sound great on record but the extra dynamics of rounds works better on a gig. I only play my P bass/flats at home, but gig my Jazz/rounds 99% of the time.

On 01/07/2020 at 12:51, inthedoghouse said:

Rotosound/Rotobass 95 or 100 usually although last night I used a set of 105 at rehearsal that I bought by accident and they sounded huge.

I used to really like LaBella Hard Rockin' Steel but they don't seem to do them now so I switched back to Rotosound, plus it's a British company.

I think Warwick Red Label (95 or 100) are excellent value though and I've usually got a pack or two spare.

La Bella renamed the Hard Rockin’ Steels to Stainless Steel, and then upgraded to the RX Stainless. 

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, chris_b said:

IMO flats sound great on record but the extra dynamics of rounds works better on a gig. I only play my P bass/flats at home, but gig my Jazz/rounds 99% of the time.

Agree, my main gigging bass is a P with flats though! Love nickel rounds on a Jazz.

Inspired by this thread and realising I haven’t had rounds on my Precision for years I thought I would put some on.

Dunlop Superbright Steels now installed. They are not actually that bright compared to other steels and have a less twangy tone than D’addarios.

Needed a good set up after taking off the higher tension Rotos, but I’m liking them. Shame there’s no chance of trying them in a band mix at the moment.

I Had been using very light gauge nickel wounds usually Dunlop or XL i.e. 40-100s or even 35-95s (I even went as low as 30-90 rotosounds funk masters ...but they were terrible and felt weird). Recently I decided to go 45-105 DB nickel wounds. took me a while to set up my truss rod and action and they still feel a bit heavy. What I'm really noticing though is the tone...much 'beefier' and thumpier than before. I'm playing a Sandberg California VS (P bass). Thisnk I'll up-gauge my mayones jabba, Mad up!,  and just get used to playing heavier gauge strings...they sound better to my ears anyway.   

• Like 1