Why become a member? ×

Moving to short scale?

Deeper and down

I've been a longtime bass fan and bought myself a lovely lefty Ibanez SR600Lin natural flat just before I took early retirement with a view to learning to play.

Since retiring I've spent all my time on family stuff, DIY, motorbikes and push bikes.    I'm a bass owner rather than a bass player. ☹️

During lockdown I had a bit more time to devote to learning to play but if I'm honest, I'm struggling with stretching my 62 year old fingers around a full size bass.  I'm aiming to play purely for my own enjoyment,  I'll never grace a stage so I've been looking at short scale basses which may be easier for me to play.  There aren't may lefty short scale around but Sire have this... https://www.andertons.co.uk/sire-version-2-left-handed-marcus-miller-u5-short-scale-alder-4-tobacco-sunburst   available later this year.

My questions are, I'm afraid,  many and probably facile.

Is my chosen new instrument suitable for the like of me and any good?

How much is my pristine as-new pretty much unused Ibanez SR600L worth if  I sell it to fund the new bass?   ( is anyone interested?)

Can I transfer the set of barely used Rotosound 46-105 flat wound strings I bought from the Ibanez to the Sire?

Cheers Paul.

Edited by Deeper and down

The long scale Sires are well regarded around here so it's likely that the short scale models would be decent too. I'd buy one without hesitation. 

You've also got the choice of Hofner, Schecter, the Sire, Harley Benton, There are others.

As for the Ibanez, I'm not sure how much they're worth.

Your 3rd question depends on who you ask and is dependent on your bass... if it was me I'd buy a short scale set but I'm lazy 😉

Oh and welcome to the lefty bit of the forum

Approaching 62 I now find short scale basses are my weapon of choice, this despite about 48 yrs bass playing on long scale and DB.  The Sire looks excellent, just looking for righty version now.  Other basses that might figure: Gibson SG (at the right price), Chowny, Ibanez - Artcore, Talmann - bonkers cheap for the quality.

My biased choice of strings: Ti flats or  Labella 760FL in short scale versions.  Get the deep thumpy thing going.  TIs good for 'twangy' as well.

Edited by 3below

11 hours ago, 3below said:

Other basses that might figure: Gibson SG (at the right price), Chowny, Ibanez - Artcore, Talmann - bonkers cheap for the quality.

Unfortunately, the 30" Talman isn't made for left handers, just the 34".

I'm pretty sure @pineweasel has a lefty Harley Benton 30" P for sale, or at least he did.

Might be worth considering for the OP perhaps? Might be an easy way into seeing whether SS basses are for you, and then pick up the Sire if it ticks your boxes?

The Sire will be excellent quality, they're just great instruments and not just "great for the price". Of course a Hofner would be nice to have and quite resonant if you can't be bothered amping up, then there are the "gold tone micro basses". Not sure if you can get them from a UK Supplier but they look lovely, short scale acoustic basses, I've seen more fretless than fretted, for a home noodle bass it would be excellent, though not cheap if you had to import from the US. 

I've just pulled the trigger on the Sire U5 short scale and left a deposit with Andertons for delivery in early September.

All I have to do now is sell my SR600L,  It's not imperative that I sell it to fund the Sire as I've got the cash but the truth is I won't be playing it and Mrs Deeper will pull a face at having another ornament in her dining room.

So...  how much is a Lefty one of these

https://www.ibanez.com/eu/products/detail/sr600_07.html

worth in as-new condition?   Should I list it here? or on ebay?    Is anyone here interested?  I haven't taken any photos yet but can supply lots of detailed ones if required.  I'm based in Chester -Wrexham area.  

Edited by Deeper and down
  • Like 1

Followed the link, what a great bass, sadly, despite being not that far down the A483 from you I am right handed for bass (left for cricket, tennis, golf, football etc - go figure).  Ebay / Paypal is a bit ferocious for their % cut in my view (and they have enough money).  I have bought many basses and other stuff from BC, prices typically lower than Ebay but no fees for the seller and we (BCers) benefit.  I would start here, YMMV.

As 3below said, I’d initially try posting the bass on ‘left handed basses for sale’ section of this forum - do a quick search of previous sale posts to get a better idea of what the Ibanez has been selling for (there have been a few right handed posts previously).

Good luck with the sale !

• 1 year later...

I own one in Mint green and can't recommend it enough.  I'm small so it's comfortable to hold and the neck rounded so it's feels great.  Pick up's sound nice.  seriously I think everyone should at least try this bass.