Why become a member? ×

Good first bass for adult (jazz, funk, salsa)

Thundr

39 minutes ago, Mudpup said:

Oh and it was designed and marketed to provide a bass of quality that was easy to play for beginners. 

Please provide any marketing examples where the MM is promoted as a bass for beginners?

And yes, I've played and owned a couple MM basses, which is why I think they are very good second or third basses, just not first.

You clearly seem to not grasp the my point of suitability, you also seem hung up on the beginner being confused. Let it go mate. 😎

2 hours ago, hooky_lowdown said:

Please provide any marketing examples where the MM is promoted as a bass for beginners?

And yes, I've played and owned a couple MM basses, which is why I think they are very good second or third basses, just not first.

You clearly seem to not grasp the my point of suitability, you also seem hung up on the beginner being confused. Let it go mate. 😎

Too many knobs and switches for active and passive for an absolute beginner - your words not mine. 

'The result is a new line of Marcus Miller bass models that have a fantastic sound and look, and are high quality but with an extraordinarily low price. We are ecstatic that SIRE Marcus Miller basses are now available to everyone with a new hope that more people from beginners to professionals will be able to play and enjoy the music they love'  - straight off a Sire page

I clearly seem to be not agreeing with your point of suitability - It's not difficult to grasp it. But i don't have to agree with it.

You've had a few of them - that's good as you are qualified to have a more valid opinion than i first thought. But it remains an opinion as does mine. You just appear to believe it's more valid than mine. 

I could sit and respond all day but in the interest of keeping the thread on track rather than descending into a bunfight i'll bail out now.

And i'm not your mate.......

38 minutes ago, Mudpup said:

Too many knobs and switches for active and passive for an absolute beginner - your words not mine. 

'The result is a new line of Marcus Miller bass models that have a fantastic sound and look, and are high quality but with an extraordinarily low price. We are ecstatic that SIRE Marcus Miller basses are now available to everyone with a new hope that more people from beginners to professionals will be able to play and enjoy the music they love'  - straight off a Sire page

I clearly seem to be not agreeing with your point of suitability - It's not difficult to grasp it. But i don't have to agree with it.

You've had a few of them - that's good as you are qualified to have a more valid opinion than i first thought. But it remains an opinion as does mine. You just appear to believe it's more valid than mine. 

I could sit and respond all day but in the interest of keeping the thread on track rather than descending into a bunfight i'll bail out now.

And i'm not your mate.......

I'm glad I've meet your criteria. Just had a look on the sire USA site, couldn't find the quote you mention, got a link?

I was simply having a confab, if you see it as bunfighting, that's your domain, explains a lot may I say. As does your signoff.

Thanks, guys. You've all been very kind, and I appreciate your many perspectives. I myself am newly coming at this as a one-time scientist (physicist!) who grew up on basslines as diverse as those of Charlie Mingus, Louis Satterfield, Louis Johnson, Bernard Edwards, Marcus Miller, Aston "Family Man" Barrett, Reg Veal, Meshell Ndegeocello, as well as numerous (unnamed!) tumbaos.

My musical heart tells my scientist brain to take a chill pill, but I can't help wondering why, for example, some basses have split pickups (not sure if that's the term for "staggered" neck pickups that capture the signals of only two strings each), and whether/how such basses compensate for the distances of each pickup from the bridge or nut! Such internal debates are compounded by my quirky aesthetic dislikes and likes, but I am nonetheless in no doubt that it is the sound and playability that matter! 🙂

I'm in the UK, and for lockdown reasons it's unlikely I'll be able to audition anything in the flesh anytime soon, so I'm looking to order something online. I think I'm about halfway between the Yamaha TRBX605 and a Hofner VeryThin (CT3 or HCT500/7) -- but I'm also learning a lot from you guys, and your insights are a kind of proxy for an audition..!

Btw I did not mean to set a cat amongst pigeons -- so let's all be cool with one another here. Many thanks again ;-),

T.

PS: Some random basslines that make me want to play bass (there are many, many more):

1. Grits Ain't Groceries (Louis Satterfield for Little Milton) 
  2. The Champ (anon for The Mohawks)
  3. Al Monte (anon for PALO!)
  4. Mr. Follow Follow (Nweke Atifoh for Fela Kuti)
  5. Do Like You (Nate Watts (? disputed) for Stevie Wonder)
  6. Deja De Criticar, Salsa Dura (Luis Arona for La Excelencia) 
  7. Reggaemylitis (Robbie Shakespeare for Peter Tosh) 
  8. Snoopy and Woodstock (Reginald Veal for Wynton Marsalis Septet)
  9. Betece (anon for Africando)
  10. The Way (Meshell Ndegeocello for Meshell Ndegeocello)

22 hours ago, hooky_lowdown said:

Not sure if this helps at all, but @Silvia Bluejay and I were lucky enough to interview Marcus Miller for BGM in 2018.

Strangely enough, we asked him pretty specifically about his involvement with the Sire range, and how he saw it fitting in to the market.

Marcus was quite clear on this ... he wanted to ensure that there was A BASS FOR BEGINNERS that didn't require those beginners to cut corners on quality and playability; he wanted to produce the sort of bass that he would have bought when he was starting out, if only it had then been available.

@Mudpup has this about as right as right can be.

PS: He really does wear that hat all the time.

PPS: I mean Marcus Miller, not Mudpup.

:)

Edited by Happy Jack
  • Like 3