Why become a member? ×

Little b*tch by the specials is hard right??

alexa3020

I’ve been playing bass a long time, and I just can’t manage the speed of this bass line. I am trying to build up to it slowly, but I can’t get it accurate enough to do it justice.

would anyone else struggle with this? Or am I just lame?

Edited by alexa3020

I used to be in a tribute to the Specials and some nights I dreaded that song. 

The repetitious octaves at that speed used to cause endless pain and cramping. 

But it taught me about the importance of finding a way to play with relaxed hands. 

Good luck with it fantastic tune. 

But not as much fun to play as Monkey Man. 

For songs with stinky poo loads of repetitive 8ves I alternate in no particular order. Works for me

Root Index - 8ve Middle

Root Thumb - 8ve Index

Root Thumb - 8ve Middle

Root Index - 8ve Ring

Root Thumb - 8ve Ring

• Like 1

Just now, Frank Blank said:

Sir Horace was a superb bass player, great songs to play to.

He had it going on, it's easy top praise the Jacos and Stanleys, but Sir Horace's style of tight, precise and 100% necessary bass playing is the bed rock of good live music 

9 minutes ago, Beedster said:

He had it going on, it's easy top praise the Jacos and Stanleys, but Sir Horace's style of tight, precise and 100% necessary bass playing is the bed rock of good live music 

He is the epitome of my idea of bass playing excellence.

Edited by Frank Blank
  • Like 1

Purely out of interest. Those Specials bass lines are, well special, because a lot of them were collaborative efforts between sir H and the legend that is Jerry Dammers. 

JD would come up with the rootsy ska stuff but Sir H, a lover of disco would add those popping disco climbs. 

Wish I could remember where I got that nugget. 

1 hour ago, stewblack said:

Purely out of interest. Those Specials bass lines are, well special, because a lot of them were collaborative efforts between sir H and the legend that is Jerry Dammers. 

JD would come up with the rootsy ska stuff but Sir H, a lover of disco would add those popping disco climbs. 

Wish I could remember where I got that nugget. 

From the Nite Club?

• Haha 1

You can cheat and slow the YouTube video down. After it's in your head at that speed you can switch up to normal speed. 

I'd start at normal speed and just play the root notes. It's a 2 bar pattern so after you get comfortable with just the root notes you could progress to playing octaves in the first bar and roots in the second bar. When that comes easily switch it around and put the root notes into the first bar and the octaves into the second bar. When you're comfortable put octaves into both bars.

It's a very simple line, but the octaves and speed make it tricky. You'll get it when your muscle memory works without having to think about your fingers. That'll take time.

• 4 months later...
On 30/06/2020 at 20:33, Beedster said:

For songs with stinky poo loads of repetitive 8ves I alternate in no particular order. Works for me

Root Index - 8ve Middle

Root Thumb - 8ve Index

Root Thumb - 8ve Middle

Root Index - 8ve Ring

Root Thumb - 8ve Ring

Holy crap, that sounds like an incredible technique workout. I love it. It's goin in my practice routine.