Why become a member? ×

Factually incorrect lyrics

The Final Countdown - Europe (?)

There will never be a final Countdown, at least not as long s there are people over 70 in the World for whom it is the highlight of every waking day. That show will still be going strong long after we're all dead.

29 minutes ago, Japhet said:

The Final Countdown - Europe (?)

There will never be a final Countdown, at least not as long s there are people over 70 in the World for whom it is the highlight of every waking day. That show will still be going strong long after we're all dead.

Richard Whitely had a final Countdown

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, Stub Mandrel said:

Outrageous suggestion! Dio always researched his lyrics in detail!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Moonbow

Ah ha! You have fallen into my elephant trap 😂. This is a long running gag/argument on Planet Rock. The cause of a moonbow is reflected light from the Sun, so it’s not actually dark, just nighttime. To create a rainbow, light needs to be refracted through water, dark is the absence of light. Semantics, I know, but good fun.

Speaking of Dio and his lyrics:

Ride the tiger,
You can see his stripes but you know he's clean.
Oh, don't you see what I mean?”

No, Ronnie, I don’t O.o.

Edited by ezbass

On 01/07/2020 at 12:14, Woodinblack said:

with such gems as "Ride the tiger, You can see his stripes but you know he's clean, Oh don't you see what I mean? " - no Ronnie, we don't.

4 minutes ago, ezbass said:

Ride the tiger,

No, Ronnie, I don’t O.o.

Nothing new under the sun :D

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, ezbass said:

Ride the tiger,

No, Ronnie, I don’t O.o.

Actually when I was posted to India during the Raj, I used to frequently ride tigers to scare off any blasted locals who might spoil an otherwise merry, gin filled evening. probably explains why I walk with such a limp these days, what?

• Like 1

Tigers don't go out on rainy nights They've no need to whet their appetites

I'll wager that ^this^ is inaccurate.

Tigers would starve during the monsoon season just for the sake of a weak lyric that substitutes whet for wet in a cheap pun.

Naughty Bonzo's.  Be kind to tigers.  You'll have nothing to shoot at if they all starve.

Edited by SpondonBassed
  • Like 1

🎶  Mars ain't the kind of place to raise your kids
In fact it's cold as hell......

I've always been led to believe that Hell was rather hot.

Mind you with Bernie living near Grimsby,maybe he thought that that cold hole was actually Hell.

5 hours ago, ezbass said:

Ah ha! You have fallen into my elephant trap 😂. This is a long running gag/argument on Planet Rock. The cause of a moonbow is reflected light from the Sun, so it’s not actually dark, just nighttime. To create a rainbow, light needs to be refracted through water, dark is the absence of light. Semantics, I know, but good fun.

Speaking of Dio and his lyrics:

Ride the tiger,

No, Ronnie, I don’t O.o.

I just had to Google this line and have a listen on YT. I gave up 40 seconds in but have read the masterful lyrics but I'm confused.

I take it this this diver is having a night-time dip in the old briny. I'm a bit worried s/he's been down too long and so is at risk from the bends. But s/he must be ok as before you know it s/he's riding some tiger. If the tiger's also been for a paddle maybe that's why it's clean. Quite right, nobody in their right mind would choose to ride an unclean tiger. Not too sure I like this hiding in the sun bit, not unless s/he's covered in SF50. Sounds a tad risky to me. Anyway, back to this diver. S/he's now gone to a masquerade, probably getting there by clean tiger, which s/he then jumps on again probably to get away from the masquerade  because s/he's not too comfortable being the star.  Think that makes sense, kinda.

• Haha 1

10 minutes ago, ahpook said:

Which make's Chris Rea's 'Road to Hell' the M62. Makes sense :)

Yer i get that,but the M62 ends at North Cave  near Hull,but thinking about it  maybe Hull could equally be construed  as being in Hell,even more so than Grimsby come to that.

• Like 1

" The song ‘Holy Diver’ is really about a Christ-figure, who on another place, not Earth, has done exactly the same as we’ve apparently experienced or were supposed to have experienced on Earth: dying for the sins of man so that man can start again and be cleansed and do it properly. So, the same thing happened on this other far-distant planet, and all the people on this planet are calling him the Holy Diver because he’s about to go to another world to do what he did to the first: absolve them from their sins by having himself killed. And the people are saying to him, ‘Don’t go,’ with innuendos of tigers and stripes and hearts and being eaten. It was meant to show just how selfish humanity is, that this one form of humanity on this one world said, ‘No, don’t go down there and save anybody else. Stay here, we need you, you are ours. "

So that''s all clear then?

34 minutes ago, ahpook said:

Which make's Chris Rea's 'Road to Hell' the M62. Makes sense :)

Not far off, geographically. The actual Road to Hell is in fact the road to Hull. Now known as Kingston Upon Hull as its "rebrand" sought to confuse the incoming heroin smugglers. As a young lad with sporting ambitions that could not be met in tiny, backward North Yorkshire towns, I used to frequent Hull, or Ull as the locals call it, and would regularly pass the shell of burned out cars in a similar spot near a tesco while Viking FM, the local radio aired ads to warn us off the dangers of "Ridin't' White pony". 

11 hours ago, Stub Mandrel said:

" The song ‘Holy Diver’ is really about a Christ-figure, who on another place, not Earth, has done exactly the same as we’ve apparently experienced or were supposed to have experienced on Earth: dying for the sins of man so that man can start again and be cleansed and do it properly. So, the same thing happened on this other far-distant planet, and all the people on this planet are calling him the Holy Diver because he’s about to go to another world to do what he did to the first: absolve them from their sins by having himself killed. And the people are saying to him, ‘Don’t go,’ with innuendos of tigers and stripes and hearts and being eaten. It was meant to show just how selfish humanity is, that this one form of humanity on this one world said, ‘No, don’t go down there and save anybody else. Stay here, we need you, you are ours. "

errm, not really. Didn't get any of that at all from the lyrics

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Stub Mandrel said:

Yeah, but isnt that dance track, "Move, Move, Move. Move, Move Your Body" just about the same thing?

• Haha 3

7 hours ago, Bill Wy,Aye,Man said:

Chris Rea's Road To Hell is the A19 to Middlesbrough where hes from

Yes, but only the carriageway heading towards Middlesborough. The other carriageway was sung about by Eric Burden and the Animals entitled We Gotta Get outa this Place.

17 minutes ago, Japhet said:

Yes, but only the carriageway heading towards Middlesborough. The other carriageway was sung about by Eric Burden and the Animals entitled We Gotta Get outa this Place.

Aye, but Eric Burden and the Animals were from Newcastle, with one exception, and it was while visiting Alan Price in Sunderland that inspired Burden to write "We Gotta..

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

A moment please Lauren?

One could argue, as indeed you have, that everything is everything.

I'd posit that since matter is made up mostly of the space between tiny atomic particles that everything is as close to nothing as makes no odds.

A very small number (representing the volume occupied by the sum of all of the atoms in the universe (this one, for the sake of discussion)) divided by a very large number (representing the volume of empty space in the current universe) is so near to zero that you can ignore it for all practical purposes.

In cosmic terms; everything is, to all intents and purposes, nothing (much).

• Like 1

Chip p!ssing alert.... :) 

I don't get his thread.  I get factually incorrect.  But here we are - 14 pages in yet hardly any of the examples are factually incorrect.  Mostly it is nit picking over words that are figurative or metaphorical.  Song lyrics do this.  Kind of like poetry.  If all songs ever said was literal it would be like listening to Janet and John books to music.  Or Motorhead. 😉

OK, carry on.

• Like 1