Why become a member? ×

Factually incorrect lyrics

40 minutes ago, BillyBass said:

Sham 69

"Hersham boys, Hersham boys, they call us the cockney cowboys"

No Jimmy, they don't, they call you bumpkins because Hersham is in Surrey

just started playing this with the band and I was thinking a similar thing as I was doing the backing vocals the other night

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, PaulWarning said:

just started playing this with the band and I was thinking a similar thing as I was doing the backing vocals the other night

Its a good catchy song and I can see why it charted but the lyrics are cringeworthy.  The Cockney Rejects "The Greatest Cockney Rip Off" was a p*ss take of it.

Edited by BillyBass
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, JapanAxe said:

Africa by Toto:

'As sure as Kilimanjaro rises like Olympus above the Serengeti'.

Except it doesn't. The peak of Mount Kilimanjaro lies about 150 miles outside the borders of the Serengeti National Park, which is therefore too distant to be seen even from Kilimanjaro's lofty elevation.

I suppose strictly speaking, assuming they’re talking of Mt. Olympus, they’re not wrong, because that’s nowhere near, either, so Kilimanjaro does rise over the Serengeti like Olympus does (or doesn’t ......)

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, BillyBass said:

Sham 69

"Hersham boys, Hersham boys, they call us the cockney cowboys"

No Jimmy, they don't, they call you bumpkins because Hersham is in Surrey

I like the nifty way they rhyme 'Hersham boys' with 'cockney cowboys'. It's right up there with this little peach, 'Generals gathered in their masses, Just like witches at black masses'. 👌

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

16 minutes ago, NickD said:

'I've got a ticket to the moon'...

Oh really Mr Lynne?.... in 1981?.... Bullsh!tter!

In 1971 there were over 90,000 with their names on the waiting list for tickets, so perhaps Mr Lynne had/has a reservation?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Stub Mandrel said:

In 1971 there were over 90,000 with their names on the waiting list for tickets, so perhaps Mr Lynne had/has a reservation?

Amazing.

It is little wonder Bowie had so many space cadets following him when you read that.

However...

I'd like to point out that, at the time David, Captain Tom's spaceship would have had less computing power than a washing machine much less the merest glimpse of a notion of the direction in which it needed to go.

Of the dozen or so robot probes sent to explore the moon by the US and the Soviet Union before Apollo 11 took off, enough had missed the moon for Nasa to be concerned. The course could be tracked and corrected mid-flight, but that needed precisely timed firing of the engines.

"That's why the guidance computers were developed, to make sure they got the timing just right," says Doug Millard, senior curator of space technology at the Science Museum in London. But the term "computer" only barely applies to Nasa's primitive processing technology. Pillinger says: "The only calculator available to scientists at the time was the size of a cash register. You put the levers in the right place and wound the handle." Forget Twitter. While Nasa was at the bleeding edge, the 60s was a time when chemists still relied on logarithm tables, and engineers carried slide rules.

So there.

51 minutes ago, Barking Spiders said:

I like the nifty way they rhyme 'Hersham boys' with 'cockney cowboys'. It's right up there with this little peach, 'Generals gathered in their masses, Just like witches at black masses'. 👌

While we are on the subject of crap rhymes:

I am an antichrist

I am an anarkyste (spelt how John Lydon sung it)

Hope this isn't off topic.

Misty morning, Clouds in the sky, 

Without warning, the wizard walks by

Casting his shadow, weaving his spell

Funny clothes, tinkling bell.

Now, where to start?  If its misty, how do you know if there are clouds in the sky.  But lets assume its a light mist and you can see the clouds.  If its cloudy, you don't generally cast a shadow.  Even so, if the wizard is carrying a tinkling bell you might think he isn't arriving without warning.

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

23 hours ago, Woodinblack said:

Maybe it was 2 minutes to midnight when they recorded it, although then the last chorus should be a few minutes past midnight.

Even if it was a reference to the so-called "Doomsday Clock", even that has a tendency to move back and forth. 

(Don't think 'Arry wrote it. Might've been Bruce & Adrian)

18 hours ago, Nicko said:

Misty morning, Clouds in the sky, 

Without warning, the wizard walks by

Casting his shadow, weaving his spell

Funny clothes, tinkling bell.

Now, where to start?  If its misty, how do you know if there are clouds in the sky.  But lets assume its a light mist and you can see the clouds.  If its cloudy, you don't generally cast a shadow.  Even so, if the wizard is carrying a tinkling bell you might think he isn't arriving without warning.

Had to cut and paste this load of old horlicks into Google to find out the guilty parties and again it's Black Sabbath, ay caramba😩

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1

5 hours ago, Barking Spiders said:

Had to cut and paste this load of old horlicks into Google to find out the guilty parties and again it's Black Sabbath, ay caramba😩

Except it's actually the best song they ever recorded.

• Like 1

Don't get me started about Sabbath.

Many decades ago when I was a teenager living at home, I was sat on the loo one fine day, bored, and as I sat there, I wrote out the lyrics to Paranoid on a roll of toilet paper.

My mum went ballistic when she found it, tried to send me to a psychiatrist and sh*t.

• Haha 4

11 minutes ago, Ricky 4000 said:

Don't get me started about Sabbath.

Many decades ago when I was a teenager living at home, I was sat on the loo one fine day, bored, and as I sat there, I wrote out the lyrics to Paranoid on a roll of toilet paper.

My mum went ballistic when she found it, tried to send me to a psychiatrist and sh*t.

"That boy's not right you know! I'm tellin' you, he's not right in the head!" 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Maude said:

"That boy's not right you know! I'm tellin' you, he's not right in the head!" 

Heh, she totally didn't believe me. Probably still doesn't. 🤦‍♀️

She'd never heard any Black Sabbath songs.

Glen Miller, yes -- Black Sabbath, no. 😄

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

"Football's coming home...." ( repeat til fade)

Where do you start with this one. 

IT NEVER LEFT...... people have played football here ( UK) since it was invented.

If, as the other lyrics of this song would allude, we are referencing the World Cup trophy, or even the Euro trophy (as that was what the song was written prior to), well it clearly isn't 'coming home' because to do that you need to win football matches against the other countries, and that's just not fair because they have all the good players.

• Haha 1