Why become a member? ×

Factually incorrect lyrics

1 hour ago, Pseudonym said:

Strictly speaking, MLK was shot just after midnight -  and therefore early morning -- Dublin time. However, it was by then April 5th in Dublin.

Poor old Bono. He can't catch a break here.

That’s because he is a d ick 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, SH73 said:

We all live in a yellow Submarine...I don't pal, all the people I know live in a house or flat, or used to live on a river boat.

“And our friends are all aboard, many more of them live next door”.

Eh? How many more than ‘all’ do you have?

Edited by Baxlin
  • Haha 1

15 hours ago, Bill Wy,Aye,Man said:

Belinda Carlisle would gain more credibility if she re recorded her hit as Hebburn (Tyne and Wear) is a Place on Earth. Likewise Bryan Adam's with, (I'm Finding it Hard to Believe) We're in Hebburn

But Hebburn must be missing an angel, right?  Tavares said so but Ms Lennox disagrees.  She insists that There must be an angel.

Who do you believe?  I mean... Annie's a Scot so she's at an advantage, geographically speaking, to most seventies American R&B, funk and soul bands.

Edited by SpondonBassed

30 minutes ago, SpondonBassed said:

But Hebburn must be missing an angel, right?  Tavares said so but Ms Lennox disagrees.  She insists that There must be an angel.

Who do you believe?  I mean... Annie's a Scot so she's at an advantage, geographically speaking, to most seventies American R&B, funk and soul bands.

Sting might know. He's from Wallsend, that's just to the North.

Slayer haven't quite made it yet. They're still going On and on South of Hebburn. I suppose they're wandering around in Usworth as we speak.

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, Pseudonym said:

Poor old Bono. He can't catch a break here.

You weren't there when it all kicked off in Ireland were you...?

RTE archives

Bono takes part in a radio discussion about the art of singing. Following an extract from 'Out of Control', opera singer Veronica Dunne and singer and song collector Frank Harte give their opinions of U2's vocalist.

'Bono lead singer with U2 it has been said of you that literally, you don't have a note in your head'

is how Pat Kenny opens this part of a discussion on the art of singing. Taking part are Bono, opera singer Veronica Dunne and singer and song collector Frank Harte.

Edited by SpondonBassed

2 hours ago, SpondonBassed said:

True, Hebburn IS missing an angel, its along the road in Gateshead

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Dear Mr PO Darkness,

Regarding the facial expression described. People are more likely to think you are grumpy than “insane”.
However, I do understand that “peeved” lacks the necessary dark and threatening gravitas, and would be incongruous with the musical accompaniment offered by his Royal lefthandedness. 

Kind regards

Mr I. Man

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Bill Wy,Aye,Man said:

Belinda Carlisle would gain more credibility if she re recorded her hit as Hebburn (Tyne and Wear) is a Place on Earth. Likewise Bryan Adam's with, (I'm Finding it Hard to Believe) We're in Hebburn

Not many people know that when Fred Astaire visited Tyneside during his 1930s UK tour he sung " Hebburn, I'm in Hebburn "

• Haha 1

On 30/06/2020 at 18:28, Beedster said:

But whilst we're on science, I doubt Thomas Dolby was ever actually blinded by it, in part because a concept cannot materially affect the function of a sense organ, but also when I met him two years after that song charted it was pretty clear that his vision was fine

A powerful infrared laser would do it though.

Brendan Brown, writer of Teenage Dirtbag, was 26 when Whetus released it, so no, you are not just a teenage dirtbag, and you really shouldn't be hanging around that school and bothering that Noelle.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, spike said:

Not many people know that when Fred Astaire visited Tyneside during his 1930s UK tour he sung " Hebburn, I'm in Hebburn "

Just testing his eyesight perhaps, or maybe everyone else was and so didn’t spot him 

8 hours ago, Lfalex v1.1 said:

Sting might know. He's from Wallsend, that's just to the North.

Slayer haven't quite made it yet. They're still going On and on South of Hebburn. I suppose they're wandering around in Usworth as we speak.

Seems David Byrne and friends have been there and were clearly disappointed with the lack of visitor attractions and cultural events in said Tyneside town, bemoaning this fact in their tune off Talking Heads' sophomore album Fear of Music, 'Hebburn'.

'Hebburn
Hebburn is a place
A place where nothing
Nothing ever happens'

Edited by Barking Spiders
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

20 minutes ago, lemonstar said:

James Blunt - You're Beautiful - early on he says something like "I saw you with another man...but I've got a plan" and only a few lines later he's lamenting that "...I don't know what to do" - always grates on me. 

The biggest concern I have here is that you've been listening to and taking notice of James Blunt's lyrics. 😉

• Haha 3

'She's buying a stairway to heaven.'

You don't buy a stairway to a place, you buy it for a place. The existence of heaven is unknown too.

Back to Champagne Supernova.

'Slowly walking down the hall. Faster than a cannonball.'

Really, how does that work then?

13 minutes ago, mep said:

You don't buy a stairway to a place, you buy it for a place. The existence of heaven is unknown too.

When I was a member of a target shooting club a few years ago there was a guy who loved blackpowder stuff and bought himself a small cannon. In the interests of safety you start the charge low and work up. He started a bit too low and the result was a disappointing woomph followed by the cannonball slowly rolling across the firing point. Perhaps he showed this to the Gallaghers at some point?

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, T-Bay said:

When I was a member of a target shooting club a few years ago there was a guy who loved blackpowder stuff and bought himself a small cannon. In the interests of safety you start the charge low and work up. He started a bit too low and the result was a disappointing woomph followed by the cannonball slowly rolling across the firing point. Perhaps he showed this to the Gallaghers at some point?

The prospect of the Gallaghers being at a shooting club is plausible, but surely another attempt with the cannon and a larger charge would have been performed?

44 minutes ago, mep said:

In a 2009 interview, Gallagher told the following anecdote:

This writer, he was going on about the lyrics to "Champagne Supernova", and he actually said to me, "You know, the one thing that's stopping it being a classic is the ridiculous lyrics." And I went, "What do you mean by that?" And he said, "Well, 'Slowly walking down the hall, faster than a cannonball' — what's that mean?" And I went, "I don't know. But are you telling me, when you've got 60,000 people singing it, they don't know what it means? It means something different to every one of them."

Not that I’m one to normally defend the Gallaghers... but I guess he has a point. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, EBS_freak said:

In a 2009 interview, Gallagher told the following anecdote:

This writer, he was going on about the lyrics to "Champagne Supernova", and he actually said to me, "You know, the one thing that's stopping it being a classic is the ridiculous lyrics." And I went, "What do you mean by that?" And he said, "Well, 'Slowly walking down the hall, faster than a cannonball' — what's that mean?" And I went, "I don't know. But are you telling me, when you've got 60,000 people singing it, they don't know what it means? It means something different to every one of them."

Not that I’m one to normally defend the Gallaghers... but I guess he has a point. 

George Ezra, "I deezey doh"

I rest my case

21 minutes ago, EBS_freak said:

And I went, "I don't know. But are you telling me, when you've got 60,000 people singing it, they don't know what it means? It means something different to every one of them."

No, it means nothing to them, they are all just completely off their faces, like everyone who has ever sung that!