Why become a member? ×

Factually incorrect lyrics

15 minutes ago, Trueno said:

I used to like the Cramps' "Bikini Girls with Machine Guns"... it's possible, but not likely. However, I really can't believe that the Was Not Was ever "walked the dinosaur"... it just didn't happen.

I been a drag racer on LSD
And I rode bare-assed on top of the Sphinx
I even had a gorilla on the slopes of kismet
And man, that was fun for a while you bet

Thing is, I believe you, Lux, I really, really do.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, tauzero said:

Sometimes factual incorrectness can scan better, of course. https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/1500734/How-Katie-put-the-science-back-into-songwriting.html

Oh, and while I'm here (this is where I get carted away by the Basschat thought police) - Prince, although there has been red rain and the sky is indeed blue, that doesn't add up to purple rain. Although it's a bit late to correct you now.

No, it’s purple reign - he’s a Prince, ok ?

Jesus Built My Hotrod. 

I hesitate to bring religion into this topic but I'd like to see some hard evidence before I accept this claim. 

I'd also love to claim the lyrics to be untrue but I've never quite worked them out. 

It matters not, it's an epic song! 🙂

• Like 2

6 hours ago, skankdelvar said:

And back again:

I put in the money and pull out a plum

To the best of my recollection such vending machines as were to be found on LU stations in the late 1970's dispensed confectionery, not fresh fruit. Mr Weller strains our credulity to breaking point and beyond.

6 hours ago, Beedster said:

You are actually factually incorrect Skank. Vending machine plum merchandising was a short-lived initiative by the BPGA (British Plum Growers Association, who for legal reasons must not be confused with the Plum Growers Association of Britain), who in 1979, and demonstrating a complete failure to understand the then emergent research into the neuroscience of addiction combined with extraordinarily flawed logic - specifically if addictions to chocolate and nicotine are both widely recognised, and if both are widely sold in vending machines at transport hubs, then the mechanisms of addiction was the location of the machine itself - sought to get the entire nation addicted to plums. Even if the idea itself was daft, any chances of success were of course completely washed away by the great plum crop failure of Spring 1980 

6 hours ago, skankdelvar said:

Indeed so. The Great Plum Initiative of 1979 had entirely slipped my mind.

I have shamed myself and will now withdraw from public life.

5 hours ago, Jus Lukin said:

So The Plum Initiative was duff?

Either way, plums are not very 'rock 'n roll', and never have been, even though I agree they were quite popular in the 1970s 😗

• Like 1

Jefferson Starship:

Marconi plays the mamba, listen to the radio, don't you remember?
We built this city, we built this city on rock and roll

A mamba is a bad tempered, highly venomous snake and Marconi would deeply regret messing with it.

And that's before we get into a discussion about suitable foundations for large urban conurbations.

Edited by TheRev
  • Haha 3

Just now, Ricky 4000 said:

Hhhh, I tried that excuse on the building inspector re our 2 storey home extension.

It didn't work.

As usual, it's one rule for them, another rule for us. ☹️

It's almost like rock stars are lying to us.

7 hours ago, redbandit599 said:

Mr Barry Manilow claims that the Copacabana is the "Hottest spot north of Havana" 

Now, Copacabana is in Rio, Brazil which is south of Havana - so he must be referring to the Copacabana club of New York. 

New York can get pretty damn cold and is certainly not as hot as Death Valley, which I would suspect is actually the hottest spot north of Havana - though not known for show girls called Lola.

Steady on, there's some artists that are 'untouchable' around here. 😬

@Maude? 😄

• Haha 2

God gave rock and roll to you, (no he didn’tgave rock and roll to you (no)
Put it in the soul of everyone (not in mine, nor, I suspect, in anyone else’s)
Do you know what you want? (Yes) you don't know for sure (I do)
You don't feel right, (I doyou can't find a cure (not looking, I feel ok thanks)
And you're gettin' less than what you're lookin' for (ambiguous cobblers)
You don't have money (enough to get by) or a fancy car (happy with a Cortina)
And you're tired of wishin' on a falling star (no, still do that given the opportunity)
You gotta put your faith in a loud guitar (I don’t have to, in fact quite the opposite, I’d rather put my junk in a blender)
Gave rock and roll to everyone, oh yeah (no he didn’t (oh no))
Put it in the soul of everyone (put it in the ahh soul of everyone more like)
"Now listen" (no)

6 hours ago, Ricky 4000 said:

Steady on, there's some artists that are 'untouchable' around here. 😬

@Maude? 😄

I was too incensed to pass a reasoned comment on this earlier. 

As the song is about the New York club and not the Brazilian holiday destination, then factually @redbandit599 is correct in his statement. 

It's still the best song ever written about a showgirl named Lola and two blokes called Tony and Rico, and I won't have a bad word said about it, UNDERSTAND!!? 

😉

Edited by Maude
  • Haha 2

8 minutes ago, Bobthedog said:

Cause I’ve got a brand new combine harvester and I’ll give you the key... Well Mr Wurzel that was back in 1976 and I am still waiting. Was this in fact a lie? Is the harvester still serviceable?  Hmm, I doubt it. 

Unlikely to happen now, as I'm reliably informed that Mr Adge Cutler is now sadly dead.

Source:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, redbandit599 said:

And I bet Lionel Ritchie wasn't dancing up there either.

I bet if Blancmange were really living on the ceiling and old Lionel shuffled past they might have a thing or two to say, 'ere, get out of it! Keep it down a bit mate, we're trying to watch  t' telly and all we can hear is you shuffling' about!

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Dom in Dorset said:

"Early morning, April four
Shot rings out in the Memphis sky"
Martin Luther King was in fact shot at 6pm . This is one of many reasons why I don't like U2.

Woah, what a coincidence, I was just about to mention Pride by U2 but for another lyrical gem

One man cum on a barbed wire fence...

Now, I can't vouch for Bono's integrity here, he may well have done so in which case it's a factually correct statement. But it still begs the question why? 

I've been driving in my car, it's not quite a Jaguar
I bought it in Primrose Hill from a bloke from Brazil
It was made in fifty-nine in a factory by the Tyne

You'll need more detail than that to complete the change of ownership section on the V5 Vehicle Registration Document, Suggs.

And also to advise that the River Tyne does not flow through Oxford. That'll be the upper reaches of the River Thames.

5 minutes ago, Osiris said:

Woah, what a coincidence, I was just about to mention Pride by U2 but for another lyrical gem

Now, I can't vouch for Bono's integrity here, he may well have done so in which case it's a factually correct statement. But it still begs the question why? 

I can't imagine why or indeed that more than one man has ever done this. I'll give Bono the benefit of the doubt.

14 minutes ago, Osiris said:

Caught, I think - although I still don’t see the relevance to his topic 

8 minutes ago, Dom in Dorset said:

I can't imagine why or indeed that more than one man has ever done this. I'll give Bono the benefit of the doubt.

Not a wise move, he’ll just spend five minutes telling THE WORLD about it, but if you say nothing ....