Why become a member? ×

Factually incorrect lyrics

10 minutes ago, Stub Mandrel said:

I've just gone through a number of Bob Calvert's lyrics looking for non-sequiturs and although his musings on the nature of space are unconventional they have a disturbing tendency to be factually accurate.

I mean "Space is neither truth nor lies" isn't going to get you an astrophysics PhD but it's undeniably true...

But whilst we're on science, I doubt Thomas Dolby was ever actually blinded by it, in part because a concept cannot materially affect the function of a sense organ, but also when I met him two years after that song charted it was pretty clear that his vision was fine

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, Beedster said:

You cannot therefore question it, it is true by definition. Please go to the 'Factually Correct Lyrics' thread. 

Weeeell, depends on your Life philosophy.  Some cheerie folk would say you are born to die. :) 

1 minute ago, Barking Spiders said:

Billy Joel states in his defence that 'we didn't start the fire' when two of his accomplices are doing stretches in San Quentin for arson

Legally, if he was not prosecuted, Billy is correct, 'we' didn't, 'they' did?

I have no idea why but this thread made me think of Warren Zevon.  he has songs at polar ends of the scale.

Werewolves of London.  He did not, I put to the panel, see a Werewolf with a Chinese menu in his hand.

There there is this one, written and performed with terminal cancer.  Probably every single word is true.

• Like 2

I have found a song full of factually correct lyrics.

Albedo 0.39 by Vangelis.

Although you'll have to forgive the use of imperial units, a slightly old-fashioned expression of , and the fact that the Albedo of a planetary object may be defined (and therefore calculated) in more than one way.

6 hours ago, ubit said:

And what about Dancing on the ceiling? I very much doubt it Sir!

Well I have, with the help of some friends, once lifted up one of our group so he could scuff his feet along the ceiling of a small nightclub during that song. Needless to say it wasn't a great feeling for him, neither was it when the bouncers grabbed us all by the neck. 

• Haha 1

Whilst I sympathise with Sting's plight, he was taking his chances by chucking a bottle into the sea with a message in it - and let's not mention microplastic pollution either. He would have been much better off with a GMDSS-compliant VHF transceiver or a satellite phone. Mind you, it came good in verse 3 (although it took a year or so).

As the Bluebird (genus Sialia) is indigenous to the north Americas, not nothern Europe, it is very unlikely that mutliple Bluebirds would be seen flying in the sky in the vicinity of Dover.

Unless they were Bluebirds that had escaped from a local aviary.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, TheRev said:

As the Bluebird (genus Sialia) is indigenous to the north Americas, not nothern Europe, it is very unlikely that mutliple Bluebirds would be seen flying in the sky in the vicinity of Dover.

Unless they were Bluebirds that had escaped from a local aviary.

It's a little known fact that this song is actually about the Nissan Bluebird, and how hundreds of disillusioned owners rolled them over the cliffs a la Jimmy with the Ace Face's Vespa GS in Quadrophenia. 

I would like to point out that, contrary to Jon Anderson's assertion, mountains do not come out of the sky. The last time that something similar happened was 65 million years ago, and that didn't turn out too well for the dinosaurs.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Trueno said:

I used to like the Cramps' "Bikini Girls with Machine Guns"... it's possible, but not likely. However, I really can't believe that the Was Not Was ever "walked the dinosaur"... it just didn't happen.

I love the Cramps "Stay Sick" album, and used to think that Bikini Girls with MAchine Guns was just a flight of fancy.

But apparently it's a thing in the US (as entertainment, not actual conflict)...see example

• Like 3