Why become a member? ×

Factually incorrect lyrics

Rock you like a hurricane

- You are going to rock me like storm-force winds strong enough to be dangerous to those caught in them, causing major damage, and storm surges and large battering waves resulting in loss of life, buildings destroyed, beach and dune erosion and road and bridge damage along the coast?

• Haha 3

On candystripe legs, the spiderman comes, softly through the shadow of the evening sun. 

Right Bob, where do I even start? Spiderman didn't have candystripe legs and was a fictional character anyway, and how did he come through the shadow of the evening sun? The sun, being a light source, doesn't have a shadow.

Not a great start! 

Landslides by their very nature, tend to be on the ground, and champagne has never contained the necessary materials to go supernova.

As a supernova is the biggest explosion that humans have ever seen, it would be impossible for a landslide to exist in one, let alone for anyone to be caught between them.

Edited by MacDaddy
Autocorrect!

26 minutes ago, Maude said:

Hopefully someone will be along soon to decipher the lyrics of 'Tubestation' with a graph and some random statistics they found on the internet, then explain them to us all like a condescending know it all.

Give us a minute...

• Haha 1

Back to the tube station for a minute, if that's OK:

They smelt of pubs - Okay, pubs have a smell.

And Wormwood scrubs -- I'll take your word for it.

And too many right wing meetings -- Not being political, but do right wing (or left wing for that matter) meetings have a peculiar smell then??

5 minutes ago, Bobthedog said:

This was also done a few years ago but agreed. I am chortling to myself nonstop through this whole thread. 

Yes, but the level of scrutiny of Down in the Tube Station simply wasn't there then mate. This thread is in a different league, and will likely lead to revised thinking as to the (supposed) authenticity of Weller's lyrics; the in-depth scrutiny of inconsistencies between his lyrics and the realities of the London Underground at the time of writing presented here suggests the possibility that, at the very same time he was adopting a 'man of the people' stance in his lyrics, he might well have been luxuriating in chauffeur driven limos between Boney-M gigs at Hammersmith Palais and Weller Towers? 

• Haha 3

3 minutes ago, Ricky 4000 said:

Back to the tube station for a minute, if that's OK:

They smelt of pubs - Okay, pubs have a smell.

The ******** in Canterbury certainly has a smell, my amp picked it up last time we played there, could smell the pub for about a week afterwards

Mr Barry Manilow claims that the Copacabana is the "Hottest spot north of Havana" 

Now, Copacabana is in Rio, Brazil which is south of Havana - so he must be referring to the Copacabana club of New York. 

New York can get pretty damn cold and is certainly not as hot as Death Valley, which I would suspect is actually the hottest spot north of Havana - though not known for show girls called Lola.

One of the Kings of Leon claims "I've been roaming around, always looking down at all I see". Unless he has some very unusual visual and anatomical issues, this seems extremely unlikely, as some of the things which he sees will require looking up at.

And, Mr Rodgers, it is anatomically impossible for someone to smile from their head to their feet. Not even Michael Jagger's lips can encompass that.

41 minutes ago, inthedoghouse said:

One would have through Brian May would have known better than to claim it to be the Fat Bottomed Girls 🙂  I wonder if he discussed it with Freddy? 🙂
https://phys.org/news/2007-08-probing-earth-rotate.html

I feel he perhaps should be given some leeway, as he did describe the consequences of the tau factor, an element of relativism, in "39".

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, Ricky 4000 said:

Back to the tube station for a minute, if that's OK

And back again:

I put in the money and pull out a plum

To the best of my recollection such vending machines as were to be found on LU stations in the late 1970's dispensed confectionery, not fresh fruit. Mr Weller strains our credulity to breaking point and beyond.

• Haha 5

Sting may've been a teacher but clearly he never taught physics as he doesn't understand the impact of gravity and lack of said force on the human body or otherwise he'd know his legs would most certainly not break if he was to walk on the moon

However, he was a seer of sorts when he advised his pupil to socially distance herself from him while in the classroom

Edited by Barking Spiders
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, skankdelvar said:

And back again:

I put in the money and pull out a plum

To the best of my recollection such vending machines as were to be found on LU stations in the late 1970's dispensed confectionery, not fresh fruit. Mr Weller strains our credulity to breaking point and beyond.

You are actually factually incorrect Skank. Vending machine plum merchandising was a short-lived initiative by the BPGA (British Plum Growers Association, who for legal reasons must not be confused with the Plum Growers Association of Britain), who in 1979, and demonstrating a complete failure to understand the then emergent research into the neuroscience of addiction combined with extraordinarily flawed logic - specifically if addictions to chocolate and nicotine are both widely recognised, and if both are widely sold in vending machines at transport hubs, then the mechanisms of addiction was the location of the machine itself - sought to get the entire nation addicted to plums. Even if the idea itself was daft, any chances of success were of course completely washed away by the great plum crop failure of Spring 1980 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1