Why become a member? ×

Factually incorrect lyrics

19 minutes ago, AdrianP said:

On the subject of poor grammar in songwriting,  shouldn't 'Hello, is it me you're looking for?' be 'Hello, is it me for whom you're looking?'

And what about Dancing on the ceiling? I very much doubt it Sir!

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, tauzero said:

Prince

Here's another black mark for His Purpleness.

Whilst it is true that doves do indeed have tear ducts, the emissions of which could possibly at a hell of a stretch be described as 'crying', they do not actually make any noise when they do so -- and they certainly do not 'scream'. Thus, in order to be factually correct, the lines in question should perhaps be "Why do we scream at each other? As unpleasant as it is, it in no way resembles the sound of Doves Crying; this is a more accurate representation", followed by a period of complete silence.

• Like 2

One for the older crowd. 
It is highly unlikely you will teach the world to sing,  no matter how many people use Zoom. Even then “in perfect harmony”?  No not going to happen. 

Whilst we are here, note I do not live in a yellow submarine. That song is therefore also a terminalogical inexactitude. 

Edited by Bobthedog
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

32 minutes ago, paul_c2 said:

When I was at school, going out with an ex's sister not long after, actually turned out to be really annoying for the ex.

Dunno, in my teenage years, an ex who I stayed friends with phoned me to suggest I went out with her younger sister.  Which I did for a year or so, quite happily.

1 hour ago, paul_c2 said:

Live and Let Die:

Its either "in this ever changing world in which we live" or "in this ever changing world...which we live in". NOT "in this ever changing world in which we live in"!!!!!

Grrr!!!!!!!!!!!!

This used to annoy me until someone pointed out the lyrics are not exactly as they sound.  It should be

'...and if this ever changing world in which we're living makes you give in and cry'.

Which makes perfect sense.  And which is also a shame as I was fond of a Macca rant.

23 minutes ago, Nail Soup said:

The Jam - Down in the Tube Station at Midnight:

"'Jesus Saves' painted by some athiest nutter"

Implies an incorrect definition of athiest.

Also, Weller should have specified which tube station. Imagine my surprise when I stayed for the weekend in London 20 years ago, only to discover that Notting Hill station was all locked up by 11pm.

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

Mike Oldfield, 'Moonlight Shadow'. A repeat offender.

"Carried away by a moonlight shadow"
Shadows are by definition a characteristic of light. Light, whilst being an energy, is not tangible and is certainly not capable of lifting anything, let alone carrying it.

"The trees that whisper in the evening"
Regardless of what time of day it is, trees do not have vocal chords.

"All she saw was a silhouette of a gun"
One can only assume that the gun was somehow hovering in mid-air, otherwise the silhouette of the person or thing holding it would also have been visible. The supposition is therefore that the events were occurring in an empty zero-gravity environment.

"Four A.M. in the morning"
Oh dear. I don't think I need comment on this any further.

"Stars roll slowly in a silvery night"
Nights tend to be varying shades of extremely dark blue, or even black. If they were 'silvery' the stars would not be visible against their background.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

Bowie, Starman:

"Some cat was layin down some rock'n'roll"

Anatomically, the domestic cat simply doesn't have the reach to play an electric or bass guitar with both hands, thus the proficiency on those instruments is sadly lacking. Drums too, their body weight is unlikely to operate the bass drum pedal with sufficient force to create a suitably-loud beat necessary for the genre. And their keyboard skills......

• Like 4
  • Haha 2

4 minutes ago, Ricky 4000 said:

Also, Weller should have specified which tube station. Imagine my surprise when I stayed for the weekend in London 20 years ago, only to discover that Notting Hill station was all locked up by 11pm.

Indeed.

Also I think that, given the tube frequency at midnight, the curry going cold was a likely risk regardless of any unprovoked assault.

Edited by Nail Soup
  • Like 3

To be fair to the Jam they do not state that the tube station was open, merely that they were in it at midnight. Perhaps a trainspotters lock in? Inadvertent problem following long visit to the Lav after a particularly  vicious kebab? The possibilities are endless.....

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Nail Soup said:

Indeed.

Also I think that, given the tube frequency at midnight, the curry going cold was a likely risk regardless of any unproved assault.

Quite right, and if his wife had opened the wine prematurely, she could have easily put a teaspoon in the neck of the bottle.

• Like 1

Just now, T-Bay said:

To be fair to the Jam they do not state that the tube station was open, merely that they were in it at midnight. Perhaps a trainspotters lock in? Inadvertent problem following long visit to the Lav after a particularly  vicious kebab? The possibilities are endless.....

Then 'Locked in a tube station at midnight' would have been a better title. And the curry would have gone cold regardless.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, T-Bay said:

So perhaps the curry was just for the wife, seeing as Weller himself might have already had a kebab... possible, I suppose.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, T-Bay said:

To be fair to the Jam they do not state that the tube station was open, merely that they were in it at midnight. Perhaps a trainspotters lock in?

True, although violent far-right activists are not generally known for their ferroequinology.