Why become a member? ×

Factually incorrect lyrics

Dunno why but in the last hour naff pop tune The Lion Sleeps Tonight has been worming its way into my ear. This is a song that peddles misinformation inferring that lions live in the jungle but as any fule kno,  the habitat of lions is grassland, savannah, dense scrub and open woodland. Open woodlands are no jungle tho'!  Now if they'd sung 'in the jungle... the tiger/panther/jaguar sleeps tonight' that would've been better.

Fleetwood Mac are woefully ignorant of the fact that thunder often happens during dry conditions and not just when it's raining. The lyric should read 'Thunder often occurs when it's raining'.

What other song lyrics are factually incorrect 

• Like 3
  • Haha 6

My favourite is Zombie Crew by Send More Paramedics. "10,000 volts of current fills the room"......hmmm, does it?

Regarding lions etc, I have always wondered upon the historical anomoly of small children having a teddy bear - a bear is a dangerous wild animal, very unsuitable for domestication.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Beedster said:

Anatomists have to date failed to find strings in any post-mortem examination of a heart

The chordae tendineae (tendinous cords), colloquially known as the heart strings, are tendon-resembling fibrous cords of connective tissue that connect the papillary muscles to the tricuspid valve and the mitral valve in the heart.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

22 minutes ago, Barking Spiders said:

Dunno why but in the last hour naff pop tune The Lion Sleeps Tonight has been worming its way into my ear. This is a song that peddles misinformation inferring that lions live in the jungle but as any fule kno,  the habitat of lions is grassland, savannah, dense scrub and open woodland. Open woodlands are no jungle tho'!  Now if they'd sung 'in the jungle... the tiger/panther/jaguar sleeps tonight' that would've been better.

You do know that the urge to sing that song is just a whim away.

• Like 1
  • Haha 12

6 minutes ago, Maude said:

The chordae tendineae (tendinous cords), colloquially known as the heart strings, are tendon-resembling fibrous cords of connective tissue that connect the papillary muscles to the tricuspid valve and the mitral valve in the heart.

Ha ha, which is why I changed it :)

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

I would suggest that Nat King Cole would have been more accurate if he'd sung 'When I fall in love, it will be until you turn into a perma-grumpy, nagging harpy'.

Similarly, in Natalie Cole's cover of her Dad's hit, 'When I fall in love, it will be until you become a lazy, inattentive sh!t', would have been more factually correct.

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, Maude said:

U2, Vertigo. 

1 - 2 - 3 - 14, eh? 

Have to say that bugs me every time I hear it.  Was it ironic or ignorant?

Edit.  To be fair every time Bono opens his gob it bugs me.

Edited by Paul S
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1

No, Alanis, rain on your wedding day is not ironic. Nor are any of the other examples in your song, they're simply examples of misfortune. Irony is writing a song called "Ironic" while not understanding what "ironic" means.

• Like 11
  • Haha 2

4 minutes ago, tauzero said:

No, Alanis, rain on your wedding day is not ironic. Nor are any of the other examples in your song, they're simply examples of misfortune. Irony is writing a song called "Ironic" while not understanding what "ironic" means.

The Oxford Dictionary of English contains this definition: "a state of affairs or an event that seems deliberately contrary to what one expects and is often wryly amusing as a result". Now I've nothing against her, but I'd laugh a little if it really did rain on her wedding day.

• Like 1

Vanessa Williams. Here song 'save the best for last' is one of the few that really annoyed me. " Sometimes the snow comes down in June Sometimes the sun goes 'round the moon ". First part, no problem, its possible, second part? I think not, stick to beauty pagenting.

• Like 5