Why become a member? ×

Does anyone use an iPad for their set lists and crib sheets?

5 hours ago, Happy Jack said:

Is that actually a thing, or did I miss the joke?

We use one of these in my acoustic duo. When there’s only two of you it saves one of you having to stop playing to turn the page. Works pretty well using bluetooth.

I've always done set lists in Excel and being an accountant by training, assumed everyone did the same. It's the right way:  it's God's way I'm led to believe  

The band leader and lead guitarist in one of my bands are both lawyers and insist on sending set lists out in Word. That just perverted and makes me feel quite violent towards them in a passive-aggressive way. (I tut, loudly). 

Edited by Old Horse Murphy
  • Haha 3

I was strictly paper on the floor until the ole peepers started needing assistance to focus 😂.

There are a couple of programs I use across my two main bands. One uses On Song, the others use Set List Maker. They’re both suitable for what you need and free as far as I remember. I’m OK with the songs in both bands, but if I’m depping and need sheets for songs instead of a set list, then it’s great for that too. I display them on an iPad Pro, which is nice ‘cos it’s effin’ huge and I can see it from miles away. I usually hang it off one of the stands of the drum kit. I’ve found K&M tablet holders to be the best. They really make quality product.

As mentioned previously, the golden nugget is this....

89FAF544-256E-4A68-AC53-C66A8405AC59.thumb.png.356cd7fdde0d55a7950f5b726a9948fe.png

....which is on my pedal board and allows me to access everything in both programmes without going anywhere near the iPad.

By far the best set-up I’ve ever had.

37 minutes ago, Happy Jack said:

Far Canal! £72 to avoid having to miss a beat while you scroll down?

Yes, not the cheapest granted. I could have sourced a far cheaper version which would have done the same job, but this version is bomb-proof and as a result, being the klutz I am, should withstand any battering it’s likely to receive at my hands (or feet).

12 hours ago, Muppet said:

I use an app called OnSong specifically for this. I create a library of songs per band and then I can create setlists from this library. My crib sheets are in PDF form created from Word. I upload them into Dropbox and them import them in to OnSong on my iPad. It also works with a bluetooth connected footswitch to turn pages, if that's your thing. 

I have used On Song as well and the ik media Bluetooth foot controller.

On song you can reverse the colour so it’s in a negative and is easy on a dark stage and reduces glare on you.

Key Changes, chords etc are very easy to annotate on it.

I was using it for vocals to make sure I didn’t forget as playing and had each verse per page to make it big. You can have it so it scrolls in the app according to time of the song, but I had a verse per page and just scrolled a page using the Bluetooth controller

its great

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Cuzzie said:

I have used On Song as well and the ik media Bluetooth foot controller.

On song you can reverse the colour so it’s in a negative and is easy on a dark stage and reduces glare on you.

Key Changes, chords etc are very easy to annotate on it.

I was using it for vocals to make sure I didn’t forget as playing and had each verse per page to make it big. You can have it so it scrolls in the app according to time of the song, but I had a verse per page and just scrolled a page using the Bluetooth controller

its great

Yes, the negative function is great. Very little light emitted and saves on battery too.

You can also use timed scrolling, so you can hit go at the start of the song and it should auto scroll at the correct tempo all the way through. 

I use a Samsung tablet, don't know which one but about a ten or eleven inch screen. We all go through FOH, no backline, and each have a tablet to control our monitor mix and levels so it made sense to use the tablet for any charts or cheat sheets.

My hillbilly way of doing it actually works very well for me. I had to start doing it when I joined this band as I suddenly had around fifty songs to learn in a few weeks. I actually wrote any notes I needed, not full songs, just main riffs and chord progressions, etc, out on A4 in bold felt tip and photographed each song with the tablet. Put them all into one folder in Google images and then can drag and drop them into each setlist order. Set the tablet to stay on and just swipe from one song notes to the next. As I got used to the songs I just ordered the few notes I needed next to each other, new songs can be added if needed. 

I find at a quick glance I can see where I am more easily with my hand drawn tab notes than any other properly layed out music apps. It's crude but it works for me. 

4 minutes ago, hiram.k.hackenbacker said:

Yes, the negative function is great. Very little light emitted and saves on battery too.

You can also use timed scrolling, so you can hit go at the start of the song and it should auto scroll at the correct tempo all the way through. 

I started doing that, in the app you can link it to the original song time from spotify or wherever. Some songs we had Re-arranged timings, lengths etc. For me it was easier to press a button at the end of each chorus/verse

I also popped a clear page between songs reminding me of any tuning changes etc

easy to build multiple set lists, dates, different bands etc

7 minutes ago, Maude said:

I use a Samsung tablet, don't know which one but about a ten or eleven inch screen. We all go through FOH, no backline, and each have a tablet to control our monitor mix and levels so it made sense to use the tablet for any charts or cheat sheets.

Yes, I’ve used this a couple of times with an app called UC Surface to control my own mix on larger gigs and it was amazing. I believe it relies on having a stable wi-fi to run off though, so it’s not for every gig. The ability to tinker about with your own in-ear mix  without waiting for a gap in the music or shouting at the PA guy is just the best thing ever....IMHO.

2 minutes ago, Cuzzie said:

I started doing that, in the app you can link it to the original song time from spotify or wherever. Some songs we had Re-arranged timings, lengths etc. For me it was easier to press a button at the end of each chorus/verse

I also popped a clear page between songs reminding me of any tuning changes etc

easy to build multiple set lists, dates, different bands etc

The way I did it was to time the song as we played it in rehearsal and stuck that into the app - Bob’s yer mother’s brother.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, hiram.k.hackenbacker said:

Yes, I’ve used this a couple of times with an app called UC Surface to control my own mix on larger gigs and it was amazing. I believe it relies on having a stable wi-fi to run off though, so it’s not for every gig. The ability to tinker about with your own in-ear mix  without waiting for a gap in the music or shouting at the PA guy is just the best thing ever....IMHO.

We use the Behringer XR 'desk' with an additional WiFi router, then we each use the X air app and it's great and never let us down. We almost always use our own PA and sound man so it is a dream come true. I actually dislike when we do a rare multiband event, I just go back to taking an amp then. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, hiram.k.hackenbacker said:

The way I did it was to time the song as we played it in rehearsal and stuck that into the app - Bob’s yer mother’s brother.

I would have, but I got the program inbetween rehearsal and gig, with no prior timing of songs!

I will give it a go next time possibly, but I am not using it as an autocue, I find it impossible to read moving text, play and sing at the same time, I try to have the lyrics as learnt but a wee prompt, with other things like any changes. I can see it would be great if properly set up

• Like 1

15 hours ago, rushbo said:

Another happy ForScore user here- I use an iPad  with a Hercules attachment for a mic stand and it’s been brilliant and surprisingly discreet. 

Same setup here plus I have a bluetooth page turner. 

7 hours ago, Skinnyman said:

Same setup here plus I have a bluetooth page turner. 

What page turner do you use? I've been looking at the AirTurn doohickey, but I'm not sure I can justify the cost...

2 minutes ago, rushbo said:

What page turner do you use? I've been looking at the AirTurn doohickey, but I'm not sure I can justify the cost...

The Donner page turner from Amazon. Dead simple to use - the only thing that confuses me is that the iPad sees it as a keyboard so you can’t type anything while the page turner is connected, I always forget this and spend five minutes trying to work out when the iPad won’t allow me to type anything.

I think all turners are the same in this respect and, frankly, it’s more a reflection on my slow-wittedness....

Here’s the link; 

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Donner-Bluetooth-Rechargeable-Reading-Controller/dp/B06XPV2GYW?th=1