Why become a member? ×

Does anyone use an iPad for their set lists and crib sheets?

I'm thinking of moving away from having paper set lists and song crib sheets on the floor because a) I can't always see them and b) I generally screw them up with my foot or with cables. 

Does anyone use an iPad at all and if so, what apps do you use? I'm not massively interested in the dots, more for set lists and my scrawled notes. 

Excel.

Seriously.

Excel.

Make your set list up as a spreadsheet, save it as a PDF onto your tablet or phone, then use the touch screen to enlarge the next few songs & scroll down as necessary.

No need to buy anything, install anything, or learn new commands.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Happy Jack said:

Excel.

Seriously.

Excel.

Make your set list up as a spreadsheet, save it as a PDF onto your tablet or phone, then use the touch screen to enlarge the next few songs & scroll down as necessary.

No need to buy anything, install anything, or learn new commands.

Remember When Kelly Rowland Texted Her Man via Icrosoft Excel and ...

• Haha 3

I use one live and in the studio.

Loads of app options for set lists, or get a pen so you can “write” your crib sheets on Word or PDF sheets and organise them however you need Nick.

I use a mic stand holder, and as HJ said screen enlargement is so useful. Go for it.

I use an app called OnSong specifically for this. I create a library of songs per band and then I can create setlists from this library. My crib sheets are in PDF form created from Word. I upload them into Dropbox and them import them in to OnSong on my iPad. It also works with a bluetooth connected footswitch to turn pages, if that's your thing. 

OK, here is an upside down image (no, me neither) of quite possibly the worst tablet I've ever owned. Despite being a Samsung, it is easily the slowest device I've ever tried to use and I only have it because it was a freebie with a contract upgrade five years ago.

20200630_090744.thumb.jpg.af5cf0a8c0df12b3bfa47e7951a72499.jpg

This comes to every gig with me, so it's loaded with Gmail & Google Maps, iReal Pro & YouTube, even a way huge digital clock for use on NYE.

20200630_091342.thumb.jpg.d83af4b28e84246011bb4e28b41acaf8.jpg

It came pre-loaded with something called Polaris Office 5, where the spreadsheet is compatible with Excel so that I can dump my original straight onto the tablet without issues.

20200630_091455.thumb.jpg.3e5fcbc06f5ea8486fc957ebc5d05766.jpg

At the gig I attach a phone holder to my mic stand, clip the tablet into it in landscape format, and enlarge the bit I need to see.

20200630_091522.thumb.jpg.99d23a07a11f2e2f93aea249f0dea9cd.jpg

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, rushbo said:

Another happy ForScore user here- I use an iPad  with a Hercules attachment for a mic stand and it’s been brilliant and surprisingly discreet. 

Exactly my set up too. ForScore is great, although I only use it’s basic functions. Apparently you can set the song tempo so it scrolls through parts and other stuff too.

I used forScore (paid) but then switched to Piascore (free) - they are quite similar.  You can drag and drop to create/edit a setlist, so it's very quick to move things around if the song order gets changed at the last minute.

59 minutes ago, inthedoghouse said:

Call me old fashioned, but I just have a set list taped to the floor or on a monitor.

Unfortunately these days I’d have to tape a set list onto the back of one of the backing vocalists to be able to see it.
In their words “John, you have the best view in the house”.....I try hard each gig not to look like some old letch, so iPad on a mic stand, gaze averted, job done. 

But set list on floor or monitor is traditionally more “RnR”. It’s just too far away to see. 🤦🏻‍♂️

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, oldslapper said:

Unfortunately these days I’d have to tape a set list onto the back of one of the backing vocalists to be able to see it.
In their words “John, you have the best view in the house”.....I try hard each gig not to look like some old letch, so iPad on a mic stand, gaze averted, job done. 

But set list on floor or monitor is traditionally more “RnR”. It’s just too far away to see. 🤦🏻‍♂️

I share your pain, but using a sharpie and writing each set on one side of an A4 sheet of paper still works for me. (Strangely I can usually remember what song comes next, but not the key!)

• Like 2

My unit is an android but the use is similar: all notes with me, setlists are saved for future use, easy to arrange all "papers", the camera of the tablet is good enough for scanning new notes to the system... a dream come true. With telephone/data capability I can send notes to my fellow bandmates, search quickly some chords... Very helpful, and the page turning pedal is a must!

3 hours ago, Muppet said:

I use an app called OnSong specifically for this. I create a library of songs per band and then I can create setlists from this library. My crib sheets are in PDF form created from Word. I upload them into Dropbox and them import them in to OnSong on my iPad. It also works with a bluetooth connected footswitch to turn pages, if that's your thing. 

Our church band uses OnSong,  very good for transposing when different worship leaders want different keys.

2 minutes ago, Happy Jack said:

Is that actually a thing, or did I miss the joke?

It’s a thing. Airturn make good bluetooth pedals for it. The BL has one for scrolling down the  lyrics as well as “turning pages”. 

Edited by oldslapper
  • Thanks 2

I use 'Setlist Maker' with my Android tablet, attached to the mic stand.  I like that you can drag and drop any last minute order changes and I have little crib notes visible, too, in case I feel the need to mention who wrote the song or when.  Which I do sometimes with the blues band.  Or little hints like 'finish on a C'

I also print off a paper list and have it on standby, you know, just in case :) 

• Like 1

Don't know what an ipad is but I use a tablet with ireal Pro. It's either a straight forward set list or chord chart depending on how I want to use it. 

Can't imagine going back to paper. But excel? Seriously? What is it with that bloody program. People go bonkers after using it I have a friend even designs spreadsheets...... for fun! 

Like it's some form of relaxation. I think it's enough to get him sectioned personally. 

Spreadsheets are not rock n roll.