Why become a member? ×

16.5mm string spacing pickups with 18mm string spacing?

benh

14 minutes ago, PaulThePlug said:

looks as it should...

were the holes for the pups already the right size?

Do you have before and after pics?

Need a pic of the whole body / bass

The holes for the pickups were basically the same, about 1mm smaller but certainly nothing too noticeable. The Bart MK1s it came with had 2 pickup screws, the Nordstrands have 3 so had to pilot another 2 holes. Nothing drastic.

3 hours ago, Hellzero said:

Don't worry, it will. 😉

So far so good. This is probably psychological but I thought I was missing initial note attack on the G string, since adjusting the pickup height it seems to be balanced. Tone wise these are great, like a meaty J. Allows for good dynamics. Chuffed so far!

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, benh said:

So far so good. This is probably psychological but I thought I was missing initial note attack on the G string, since adjusting the pickup height it seems to be balanced. Tone wise these are great, like a meaty J. Allows for good dynamics. Chuffed so far!

I had a good feeling about this installation and, for once, it was totally valid.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, ezbass said:

I had a good feeling about this installation and, for once, it was totally valid.

Thanks, I was the opposite - had a bad feeling about it! But so far seems great. Now onto the preamp... It never ends!

7 hours ago, benh said:

Thanks, I was the opposite - had a bad feeling about it! But so far seems great. Now onto the preamp... It never ends!

Preamp straight away? What’s it not doing that you wish it did? 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, ezbass said:

Preamp straight away? What’s it not doing that you wish it did? 

I was only half joking 🙂 but probably will end up replacing it in the future. I prefer sweepable mids, which the MK1 doesn't have. However I'm tempted by a 4 band, with separate low and high mid controls like an Audere or, probably more likely, a Noll

31 minutes ago, Hellzero said:

The Glockenklang 3 bands preamp is a perfect match for the Nordstrand pickups. Use the switch as a kill switch.

Good thinking about the switch. I've been wondering what I'd do with the hole. Initial thoughts were the Noll 4 band (5 hole with stacked treble/bass) and a separate passive tone control to go where the switch was

The Glockenklang has a double function (and double pot too) treble pot that works also as a real passive tone in passive mode. The Audere preamps are excellent too, certainly the most transparent ones you will find but a bit harder to buy (USA only).

That said, you could also use the remaining hole for this this

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Hellzero said:

The Glockenklang has a double function (and double pot too) treble pot that works also as a real passive tone in passive mode. The Audere preamps are excellent too, certainly the most transparent ones you will find but a bit harder to buy (USA only).

That said, you could also use the remaining hole for this this

Yeah, been looking at the Audere, the exchange rate isn't what it used to be unfortunately. The Glock seems to fit the bill though. And the low battery indicator, what a great idea! Think I would rather have that out of sight mounted on the control cavity cover though, I once had an amber G&L Tribute which a previous owner had fitted a blue LED in to fill in a switch hole, hated it.

1 hour ago, PaulThePlug said:

nice...

would it not be better to get the lillle un a longer left arm before a pre-amp?

Erm... autocorrect? Although I'd love a longer left arm 😂

Delano Sonar 3 preamp has arrived, plus some Delano SBC Driver pickups! Now I'm just waiting on a new iron tip and I can get them installed! Interested to see which I prefer between the Delanos and the Nordys