Why become a member? ×

16.5mm string spacing pickups with 18mm string spacing?

benh

Dumb question I know. But how much would it actually affect how the pickup works? FYI I ask this as there is a set of pickups on eBay I've been looking at (Nordstrand Big Splits) which are the correct dimensions, but incorrect string spacing on the pole pieces.

9 minutes ago, fleabag said:

If you buy pickups that have bar magnets instead of pole piece magnets, it wont be a problem at all

Very true. Unfortunately these are pole pieces. Me trying to be a skinflint buying second hand instead of new!

31 minutes ago, fleabag said:

Actually , as you mention Nordy Big Splits, they have twin staggered poles, so i expect that the small discrepancy of 1.5mm  string spacing isnt going to affect things

Yeah that's what I was thinking. Might be worth a punt. Or could end up being an expensive mistake!

Given that there are plenty of Js and Ps in the wild, where there is less than perfect alignment over the pole pieces with indiscernible output differences, I reckon you’ll be pretty safe.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, ezbass said:

Given that there are plenty of Js and Ps in the wild, where there is less than perfect alignment over the pole pieces with indiscernible output differences, I reckon you’ll be pretty safe.

True enough.

1 hour ago, PaulThePlug said:

18mm String Spacing is at the bridge? Gonna be less running over the bridge pup, and less again over a neck pup...

How wide are ya strings at the point they go over the pup position?

Good point, will measure!

Using your initial figures of 18mm string-spacing and 16.5mm pickup spacing would put each of the inner strings 0.75mm outboard of their pickup, with each of the outer strings 2.25mm outboard of their pickup.

These figures are just the centres of the strings and polepieces so will be less in reality as they do not account for string diameter or pole-piece diameter. As said, the pickups have staggered polepieces so this would further spread any discrepancy. Also, I used your initial measurement at the bridge - the slightly narrower string spacing at the pickups will obviously reduce things a small amount again.

I wouldn't worry about it at all, get them bought and fitted.

Edited by KevL
  • Thanks 1

Quick mockup - I'm a bit unsure now, as the B and G strings are quite close to the edge. Is it worth saving a bit of time and money if they aren't aligned properly? Hmm...

IMG20200630122059.jpg

50 minutes ago, benh said:

Quick mockup - I'm a bit unsure now, as the B and G strings are quite close to the edge. Is it worth saving a bit of time and money if they aren't aligned properly? Hmm...

IMG20200630122059.jpg

I reckon that will be fine, any output issues can be sorted by pickup or string height. I've seen worse alignment on brand new basses and guitars.

This is my P type, sounds fine...

04990B7F-8573-408A-A51C-1716015574BE.jpeg

However, if you're really not sure, don't do it.

Edited by ezbass
  • Thanks 1

Thanks for the input so far. I guess what I'm after is - has anyone ever had a similar setup and had bad experiences with it? Or is there any theoretical reason why this would have an adverse affect in how the instrument sounds? Apologies, although I understand the basic concept of how magnetic pickups work, I don't know enough to determine what effect the pole pieces being slightly out of line would be - if any!

i dont think Neck and Bridge pickups have different spacing...

Different winding on a standard bobbin maybe...

what you are describing is way smaller and a much better fit than the PJ on my Ibby, and most others out there...

1) How much are they? 2) What else are ya options in spacing? - not a lot i expect...

'GO'

• Thanks 1

36 minutes ago, benh said:

Well, I decided to just go for it. Pickups ordered! Will update when I get them fitted 🙂

Good man! If they don’t work out, you can always sell them. However, I hope that you like them and post some suitable sound clips.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, ezbass said:

Good man! If they don’t work out, you can always sell them. However, I hope that you like them and post some suitable sound clips.

I hope so! I've not much in the way of recording equipment, but will try my best.

• Like 1