Why become a member? ×

Clay dots

KevL

I'm planning a few mods to a guitar, one of which is to replace the white plastic fingerboard markers (dots) with something that relicates the so-called clay dots for that 'authentic vintage vibe' (yes, I know).

I've  done some research and the best evidence seems to be that the original Fender markers were made from white vulcanised fibreboard which, over time, darkened in colour to resemble clay https://precbsstratocasters.com/vintage-fender-clay-dots/ The obvious answer would be to make some from white fibreboard but this seems to be unavailable now; I asked RH Nuttall (UK supplier of fibreboard) and they hadn't seen any white, only grey and black. 

Some seem to have had success with various modelling clays, putty etc. One UK-based guy said he used Ronseal wood filler to good effect so I tried a couple of shades (natural and light-brown) but neither looked right. I was at a guitar show last year and one of the (UK-based) replica-vintage makers had a couple of guitars with clay-style dots so the right material must be fairly easily available. I did hope to quiz him but he was busy with potential purchasers so I didn't want to annoy him by asking to steal his secrets.

I was wondering if anybody on here has successfully achieved making convincing replica clay dots and, if so, how did you do it? 

Thanks in advance for any help.

Edited by KevL

Definitely better than the Allparts, I'll keep them in mind. There must be something available in the UK; not necessarily purpose-made markers but some suitable material. 

The ones I saw on the replica at the guitar show were brown-grey and seemed slightly less monotone than these ready-made ones. I should have asked him how he made them!

Thanks for looking, though, I do appreciate it. 

Edited by KevL