Why become a member? ×

Has Brian May only ever used one guitar?

On 01/07/2020 at 22:09, jazzyvee said:

He also used a Jaydee bass.

Apparently that Jaydee wasn't his.

Jaco said in an interview I have from the '80s that he'd had many basses, and he had certainly owned more Jazz basses than the best known 2. 

On 04/07/2020 at 00:16, Bassassin said:

Lemmy had numerous different Ricks, including a couple thought to be copies. He also played a Hoyer 8-string, and endorsed Minarik's idiotic fire-shaped bass. And in a moment of exquisite good taste, this happened:

lemmy-B20.jpg.ddf98397312d2e5a0c56de5ff9d46c09.jpg

What I was going to say - Ibanez RS824 Roadster:

image.png.b65c85da6306cf53c08e6a755df0ec69.png

And also Yammy BBs if I remember correctly.

And later in his career:

45cc06d8f01cc193fabd7dc087550cd5.jpg

Ibby RS900 Roadster, shame he ruined it by slapping that ugly P-shaped mirror on it!

Lemmy's 8 string was an original Hagstrom. He used it when they were on TOTPS once. 

https://www.guitarworld.com/features/lemmy-i-always-wanted-to-be-john-entwistle-but-since-that-place-was-taken-i-became-a-lesser-version

On Doremi Fasol Latido he played a Hopf bass. On Space Ritual he played his first Ric (originally a through-neck 4000), with the Thunderbird neck pickup. Hall of the Mountain Grill was the Ric, and Warrior was an actual Thunderbird.

I've seen Phil Lynott with a few Rics, including at least 2 different 4001 basses and a 4000.

I think there are  very few artists who have only ever used one guitar for all of their careers. As has been proven here, if you dig deep enough you will find evidence that they used a different guitar at some point. I mean who would ever only play one guitar? I think people who are known for using one type of guitar predominantly is more of what the title of the thread should be.

• Like 1

On 29/06/2020 at 17:39, BigRedX said:

It's in the video. Is there any actual evidence he played it on the recording?

I think there’s a few articles out there about the recording where BM kept fiddling with the settings until the producer asked why? “I’m looking to get a telecaster sound.” The producer replied,  “I know how to do that!” And handed him a Tele. He used a black tele live.

Nile Rodgers also plays/played a plastic Plexi Dan Armstrong. I think Daft Punk demanded he used it in the studio?

Springsteen...Fender Tele (actually the BTR one is a Briadcaster)but recently various Telecasters

Edited by merello

On 01/07/2020 at 18:16, ubit said:

Phil Lynott and his black Precision bass although early in his career he played a Ric.

I saw Lizzy play a few times in Quaintways in Chester circa '73 and he was playing a see-through acrylic bass,  I can't remember what they were called.  During 'Whiskey in the jar' he played rythym on a white Telecaster if I remember correctly.

On 07/07/2020 at 07:50, ubit said:

I think there are  very few artists who have only ever used one guitar for all of their careers. As has been proven here, if you dig deep enough you will find evidence that they used a different guitar at some point. I mean who would ever only play one guitar? I think people who are known for using one type of guitar predominantly is more of what the title of the thread should be.

As I said before ☝️

Michael Schenker mostly played the same Gibson V (# 56) live from 1974 through to 1983, though it did go through a few paint jobs, Originally it was Red, then in '76-'77 solid Black, then in '78 Iconic White, then in 1980 V1 rocket inspired White/Black.

On 04/07/2020 at 00:16, Bassassin said:

And later in his career:

45cc06d8f01cc193fabd7dc087550cd5.jpg

Ibby RS900 Roadster, shame he ruined it by slapping that ugly P-shaped mirror on it!

For the band's last tour in 83 promoting the Thunder and Lightning he was playing this bass...

32 Years Ago: Phil Lynott Plays His Final Thin Lizzy Show

Never entirely worked out what it was. An awful lot of knobs for a guy best known for rocking a P bass!

Saw them twice - in 81 when he was playing the Ibby (never liked that headstock) and on that last tour with this bass.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, TrevorR said:

For the band's last tour in 83 promoting the Thunder and Lightning he was playing this bass...

32 Years Ago: Phil Lynott Plays His Final Thin Lizzy Show

Never entirely worked out what it was. An awful lot of knobs for a guy best known for rocking a P bass!

Saw them twice - in 81 when he was playing the Ibby (never liked that headstock) and on that last tour with this bass.

Modified Roland G33.

• Thanks 1

On 04/07/2020 at 10:36, el borracho said:

Another one was Dan Baird, who toured with a 1950s Fender Esquire for many years that had previously belonged to Steve Marriott. He retired it a couple of years ago then, sadly, retired himself.

I wasn't looking for this but a link appeared on Facebook with the full story. He did indeed play one guitar, live at least, for most of his career.

https://danbairdmusic.com/secret-ingredients?fbclid=IwAR2Dg0FlJtsjMH-TkhkwtIfgOD6x23auXnGEeCpxKDpIyz_wDA_QINU9iik

On 03/07/2020 at 21:11, Dood said:

John Deacon has used plenty of other basses too including those made by Kramer, Warwick (A John Entwistle Buzzard bass), Roger Giffin (The bass seen in the Princes of The Universe video above) and of course the MusicMan Stingray as heard on Another One Bites The Dust, but the precision bass has seen the most amount of time in his hands, recorded and live. 

I wonder what he made of that!

JD TOTP '73.jpg

On 29/06/2020 at 17:25, Old Man Riva said:

Hard to imagine BB King without his Gibson 345/335 guitars.

He once ran back into a burning club to rescue 'Lucille'.

Then he relaise what an utterly stupid thing to do that was, from then on he's called every guitar 'Lucille' and doesn't get attached to them.

• Like 1