Why become a member? ×

GAK have been naughty...

BassApprentice

What a mucking fess this all is!

My initial thoughts are why should Yamaha be let off financial penalties and GAK get clobbered when they both had to be 'in on it'? To my mind, slap both their wrists monetarily and move on.

Then there's the situation with all the other retailers warned about their involvement... ugh.

Maybe GAK should get a crowd fund going and ask all the other retailers warned to help them out!     

Edited by Noisyjon
spelling!

4 hours ago, MacDaddy said:

No mention of extortionate business rates and rents bricks 'n mortar shops have to pay.

Greedy landlords seem immune to criticism? 

Certainly doesn’t help high street retailers to compete.

4 hours ago, Noisyjon said:

Maybe GAK should get a crowd fund going and ask all the other retailers warned to help them out!     

Gak’s pricing was part of the reason the other retailers complained and unofficial MAP pricing was introduced.

There won’t be many other retailers interested in helping them out of this hole.

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, MacDaddy said:

I'm still confused as to what has actually happened.

Were prices fixed high or low?

They will have said “don’t advertise this item for less than £399” or whatever.

The manner in which they enforce this is to magically become “out of stock” of items to dealers who go against this advice.

There was also a period where certain big brands...ahem...said you weren’t allowed to advertise items online if you hadn’t recently bought stock.

We’d regularly get calls “how much are you selling this for? Would you do a deal” - We had a flat response of “come in store and we’ll talk”.

Which in itself made us look like bad clowns - but also meant we couldn’t be “caught out”.

This would’ve been around 2012.

17 minutes ago, AndyTravis said:

They will have said “don’t advertise this item for less than £399” or whatever.

The manner in which they enforce this is to magically become “out of stock” of items to dealers who go against this advice.

There was also a period where certain big brands...ahem...said you weren’t allowed to advertise items online if you hadn’t recently bought stock.

We’d regularly get calls “how much are you selling this for? Would you do a deal” - We had a flat response of “come in store and we’ll talk”.

Which in itself made us look like bad clowns - but also meant we couldn’t be “caught out”.

This would’ve been around 2012.

I remember the Marshall rep telling me he had to sort out a shop that advertised the entire Marshall range at silly low prices in one of the magazines. Went in to the shop, looked around and they had virtually none of what they had advertised. Gave them an ultimatum, order everything you have advertised or lose the dealership.

11 minutes ago, Mykesbass said:

I remember the Marshall rep telling me he had to sort out a shop that advertised the entire Marshall range at silly low prices in one of the magazines. Went in to the shop, looked around and they had virtually none of what they had advertised. Gave them an ultimatum, order everything you have advertised or lose the dealership.

By about 2013 we stopped selling Marshall for a while, the range got way too confused