Why become a member? ×

Wrong bass for the job

Guest MoJo

1 minute ago, uk_lefty said:

I played a Hohner cricket bat bass at a very big gig (by the standards of my local covers band) and the negative comments were more about me wearing shorts and "action sandals" than playing the minimalist bass. 

I have to agree with them. Playing in shorts and sandals is hardly ever a pretty sight. Look at yourself in the mirror and just say, nooooooooo!

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

11 hours ago, tauzero said:

I've played a Warwick Thumb with a ceilidh band playing trad music, and a Warwick Buzzard with a social club band.

Blue Ric 4001 for many years (late 70s - early 80s) in a celidh band.  In the same era an Eko fretless acoustic bass in blues-rock band.  I do have an aversion to pointy headstocks though :)  

24 minutes ago, chris_b said:

I have to agree with them. Playing in shorts and sandals is hardly ever a pretty sight. Look at yourself in the mirror and just say, nooooooooo!

Haha well it was a hot day... I've played in shorts since but definitely not "action sandals". Lesson learned. 

The bass has since been sold but only because I couldn't get on with the string spacing. 

• Like 1

On 29/06/2020 at 08:46, Cat Burrito said:

Not bass but when I saw ex-Kiss guitarist Ace Frehley in the late 80s at the Hammersmith Odeon, he had a Floyd Rose tremolo on his Gibson Les Paul. It was a bit like touching up the Mona Lisa with a sharpie!

Or Whistlers Mother

image.jpeg.ccc02e0aa03495bd217954e3fd63a88f.jpeg

3 hours ago, 3below said:

Blue Ric 4001 for many years (late 70s - early 80s) in a celidh band.  In the same era an Eko fretless acoustic bass in blues-rock band.  I do have an aversion to pointy headstocks though :)  

The funniest reaction I got was when I turned up to a gig with said ceilidh band with an Ashbory.

• Like 1

Just now, LukeFRC said:

I would have thought that would have worked quite well soundwise

Soundwise, yes. It was when I got it out of the case and the reaction from the rest of the band was a rather astonished "WTF is that?".

Not a bass, but as a Flying V got mentioned I thought I’d add that I used to play one in a swing big band (we did a few Glen Miller covers). 
It was a reddish orange with a mirrored plate on the front, had a red leather studded strap and was played through a Marshall Mercury amp. 
Sounded quite good, I thought, but got some odd looks. 
https://www.guitarchat.co.uk/topic/620-old-flying-v-in-poor-state/

• Like 2

On 29/06/2020 at 18:53, jacko said:

I play my fretless 5 string alembic in my blues trio. Couldn't give a stuff what anyone thinks.

I play my 5 string Alembic in a chart topping 1980's reggae band which is probably overkill considering back in those days musicians were using standard readily available basses. But I don't have any other basses that I would play instead and I'm not inclined to get any.😍

• Like 1

On 30/06/2020 at 00:57, tauzero said:

I've played a Warwick Thumb with a ceilidh band playing trad music,

Do you mean you're not meant to play a Thumb with a ceilidh band? Nobody's ever complained about mine... 😉

16 minutes ago, BigRedX said:

This clip was brought up in the comments for a web comic I follow...

Possibly the uncoolest and most inappropriate use of a Thunderbird

Its hard to work out the uncoolest thing in that video though isn't it?

The acoustic guitarist needed a bit more practice with that dance.

I presume that the thunderbird was made for country music? Same as the flying V and explorer (and moderne)