Why become a member? ×

Hohner B2A EMG Pickups

rmorris

So...I have a nice Hohner B2A 'Cricket Bat'. Well set up (Bass gallery) but I've always thought that the pickups were something of a weak point esp on the bottom End / E string compared to my various other basses. Don't 'speak' as well whether run passively or thru the on-board pre-amp.

I believe that the stock pickups are EMG 'Hi-Z' Select types. So thinking about replacements. I can see that there may be various EMG options ( I haven't checked the dimensions in detail tbh) but they are on the £££ side so I thought I'd ask if anyone here as replaced with other types / brands / manufacturers ?

Yeah - cheers AndyTravis - not thinking about that sort of investment - pretty much a 'backroom warrior' these days but interested in what pickups I can get in a compatible size.

E string in particular seems to lack 'authority' - whilst I find on other basses it's the opposite if anything and a slightly lighter touch suffices (obvs there's compressor options as well). 

I put some Aguilars in a B2V once and it was an improvement to my ears.  But probably not enough to justify the cost.  My solution, not that it is any help, is to get the B2B which is a passive PJ.

• 4 weeks later...
On 29/06/2020 at 08:20, Paul S said:

I put some Aguilars in a B2V once and it was an improvement to my ears.  But probably not enough to justify the cost.  My solution, not that it is any help, is to get the B2B which is a passive PJ.

Funny you should say that - I have a B2V which I'm finding a bit sonically plain - what Aguilars were you able to fit in there?
Thanks!

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I've just fitted a pair of EMG 40Hz pickups to a 5-string Steinberger Spirit.

I did have to do a bit of surgery with my Dremel to make the pickup bays longer and there is a small gap as the original holes were slightly wider; I think I need a couple of surrounds to neaten it all up.

My impression is that they sound rather good, though I've not given them a good tryout (several jobs on the go at the same time...).

My intention is to make it into a doubleneck, partnering it with a Spirit guitar I acquired last month.

I've also got a Spirit 4-string, my Rickenberger, to which I've fitted Rickenbacker bass pickups.

• Like 1