Why become a member? ×

My jamulus experience - duh!

julietgreen

For those successfully using Jamulus what settings do you have for buffer size and audio quality?  And do you ever get 'green' for overall delay?

I'm now running a Jamulus server in AWS.  

My ping time is pretty good.  Consistently <20ms but my overall delay is around 60-70ms.

I'm going to give Ethernet ago tomorrow rather than powerlines as I want to get sub 50ms of delay.

• Like 1

Here's what my settings look like, connnected to a server in London:

settings.png.e60ccccd715681a2a0754cf1788501eb.png

Try turning off Auto Jitter Buffer and adjusting the sizes down until you're happy with the audio quality - it'll depend on how much jitter (variation in latency) there is between you and the server.

Edited by atsampson
define jitter
  • Like 2

6 minutes ago, atsampson said:

Here's what my settings look like, connnected to a server in London:

settings.png.e60ccccd715681a2a0754cf1788501eb.png

Try turning off Auto Jitter Buffer and adjusting the sizes down until you're happy with the audio quality - it'll depend on how much jitter there is between you and the server.

Impressive figures!

I can't get my buffers anywhere near those levels, with current setup 9 / 8 is the lowest I can get to.  Maybe moving from the Powerlines to Ethernet will let me drop them a bit more. 
image.png.84740e8d5076004e61476e7f3fd12557.png

On 27/02/2021 at 22:25, PatrickJ said:

Impressive figures!

I can't get my buffers anywhere near those levels, with current setup 9 / 8 is the lowest I can get to.  Maybe moving from the Powerlines to Ethernet will let me drop them a bit more. 
image.png.84740e8d5076004e61476e7f3fd12557.png

Powerline adaptors are really bad for jitter. You can expect to see a huge drop in jitter and therefore in overall delay by using ethernet. You will be able to keep the buufer on auto and get low numbers still.

I also found that using small network buffers and 2.67ms buffer delay made a huge difference. My normal overall latency from Edinburgh to AWS servers in London is around 27ms. 

• Like 1

The Powerline adaptors probably won't help much, wired ethernet straight into the router is best.

ThInk you need to experiment a bit. I normally just leave the jitter buffer on auto and stick to the preferred buffer delay. That typically gets me latency of around 25-30 ms for UK servers, 40ms for one in Frankfurt at an audio stream rate of 447 kbps. If anything, 2.67 buffer delay made it sound worse but did up the ASR to 760 kbps!

On 27/02/2021 at 22:25, PatrickJ said:

You definitely should go to Ethernet. I normally play with somewhere between 40 and 50ms delay without too much trouble. However, we are all working towards being able to play with greater delay, as an exercise, and also to play internationally. The US folk are mastering it well and playing with us in Europe quite regularly.

• 1 year later...

Hi, After reading this thread, I signed up to Basschat in the hope that one of you might lend a hand?. I'm a semi-retired jazz singer/pianist and would like to explore virtual playing. Because I'm semi-retired, I'm not on the scene as frequently, although last year I played a major Jazz Festival on piano with double bass and drums). Because I've recently relocated,  I'd now like to see if I can get my digital set-up to work, so that I don't become isolated. My set-up is: MacBook Pro 10.13.6., Presonus Studio 24c, Roland 64 keyboard, AKG condenser mic. Jamulus 3.9.1 and yes - ethernet directly connected to modem! I've gone as far as I can on my own, now I need help for the last bit. I'd like to find a 'Buddy' or Buddies' for advice and to play with to see if this works.  Any offers would be really appreciated.  

Thanks for reading.

• Like 2

On 04/01/2023 at 19:53, TerriQ said:

Hi, After reading this thread, I signed up to Basschat in the hope that one of you might lend a hand?. I'm a semi-retired jazz singer/pianist and would like to explore virtual playing. Because I'm semi-retired, I'm not on the scene as frequently, although last year I played a major Jazz Festival on piano with double bass and drums). Because I've recently relocated,  I'd now like to see if I can get my digital set-up to work, so that I don't become isolated. My set-up is: MacBook Pro 10.13.6., Presonus Studio 24c, Roland 64 keyboard, AKG condenser mic. Jamulus 3.9.1 and yes - ethernet directly connected to modem! I've gone as far as I can on my own, now I need help for the last bit. I'd like to find a 'Buddy' or Buddies' for advice and to play with to see if this works.  Any offers would be really appreciated.  

Thanks for reading.

What kind of help would you need? Technical, setup, anything else?

• 2 weeks later...

Huge 'Thank You' to 'Razze06' for helping me complete my Jamulus setup. All leds  were 'Green' and latency minimal. Audio was clear when we played together. I didn't know if it was possible, so I'm delighted. Now I'm look forward to hearing what's out there. I'll be looking for laid-back jazz American Song Book sessions. If anyone has any suggestions - let me hear them. Cheers!

• Like 1