Why become a member? ×

My local music shop "travel bass"

These or something extremely similar pop up on eBay now and again, new I think.  I can't remember the price or the name.  (Helpful, me.)

Possibly the bouts are dismountable for travel?  Don't remember this as a listed feature though.

Possibly someone tried to work out what it was and saw pics of an Aria Sinsonido (dismountable wire bouts with foam padding) and thought "Oh that's it"...

Edited by alyctes

You lot are rubbish at this detectivising, ain't you? About 5 mins Google image searching led me to these three close relatives:

https://www.catawiki.com/l/33602959-silent-traveller-basgitaar-sandelwood-silent-bas-travel-bass-guitar

https://www.catawiki.com/l/36392703-silent-traveller-basgitaar-sandelwood-silent-bas-travel-bass-guitar

https://reverb.com/item/31935151-cherrystone-silent-traveller-4-string-electric-bass-black#full

None of them identical, either to each other or to @Woodinblack's example,  but all of them clearly related & variations on the same design.

Examining the pics supports my hunch that these are the finest of weirdo Chinese oddities, and I wouldn't be at all surprised if a deep dig through the deepest abysses of AliExpress unearthed similar things. Although possibly with acrylic LED illuminated bodies, so they can see in the stygian dark down there.

1 hour ago, Bassassin said:

Very similar to that last one. No, I couldn't find one anywhere.

I still don't see how it helps with travel, as it is the same size as an ordinary bass. I mean compared to my hohner it is huge!

On 29/06/2020 at 16:14, Woodinblack said:

I still don't see how it helps with travel, as it is the same size as an ordinary bass. I mean compared to my hohner it is huge!

Have you bought it? No! 

That's how it's helps with your travel. You don't need to carry around do you because they've cunningly designed it as a pointless bass that won't sell, therefore nobody will have to carry around. 😁

• Like 2

8 hours ago, alyctes said:

The Sinsonido is a nice bit of kit, IMO.  Good to travel with, makes a noise all its own.  Sadly they never made a five-string.

A friend lent me his Sinsonido 2½ years ago when I first mentioned I had always wanted to play bass. The action was like the Menai bridge and the electronics were shot and I got them repaired. But it was silent, went on holiday easily, and I could practice without annoying the wife. The start of a journey 😀. Worth investigating if you do want a travel bass, but they are very, very, bright!