Why become a member? ×

Bass Myths, share ones you've heard

shoulderpet

14 hours ago, Bobthedog said:

I have to say that for me having a lined fretless is pointless (although my fretless is lined) as I simply cannot see the lines on the fretboard at all. I can only see the side of the neck. 

Hmmm, you need to work on expanding that belly then...

;)

• Haha 1

"this bass is best for metal" (and replace metal with whatever style you like)

"this isnt the right bass for this style"

"Fender MIA are better than MIM"

"My bass is limiting me"

"I need that other bass for a project"

"I can recognise XYZ bass on this soundclip" (at best you recognize if that's a JB/PB/MM)

"Those two JBs are night and day" (while probably playing 2 Fender JB with different sets of strings and/or setup and/or amp, and/or amp and/or a few days apart)

"Leo got it right the first time"

Edited by julfam
  • Like 1

"If you're a female player you need a short scale bass." If you can get past the sexism on display here, you just have to look at the evidence. I guess no-one told Suzi Quattro that did they? She's only 5 foot nothing and seemed fine with a full scale P bass.

"All bass players do is go Thump Thump Thump" - Said to me by someone who doesn't play ANY instruments at all. 

• Like 2

Plus one to the utter rubbish of referring to one's bass as 'she'. I'm not sure if it's more sexist, creepy or plain weird. Makes my skin crawl. (Same in the case of those idiots who refer to boats, ships and cars as 'she'.) Whenever I've referred to my basses as 'he' in revenge, I've been immediately corrected - bl**dy foreigner that I am - and told it's IT in English, not HE. Oh, really? 🤦‍♀️

Short scale only for wimmin - heard that, never took any notice. BUT:
- Petite lady? Get a Jazz bass, the neck is lovely and thin, you'll be fine. (Forget about the horrible, misshapen, heavy-as-hell body, though, will you).

Heh. 9_9

Edited by Silvia Bluejay
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

2 minutes ago, Silvia Bluejay said:

Plus one to the utter rubbish of referring to one's bass as 'she'. I'm not sure if it's more sexist, creepy or plain weird. Makes my skin crawl. (Same in the case of those idiots who refer to boats, ships and cars as 'she'.) Whenever I've referred to my basses as 'he' in revenge, I've been immediately corrected - bl**dy foreigner that I am - and told it's IT in English, not HE. Oh, really? 🤦‍♀️

- Petite lady? Get a Jazz bass, the neck is lovely and thin, you'll be fine. (Forget about the horrible, misshapen, heavy-as-hell body, though, will you).

Heh. 9_9

Sexism in music is a whole other topic...

8 minutes ago, Silvia Bluejay said:

Heh. 9_9

I get the ship thing as it's been around for so long.

IIRC the russian navy calls it's ships He.

But the rest - it's a cringy as giving an inanimate object a name. My views on that match those of The Hound in Game of Thrones.

WARNING - very rude words ahead.

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, gjones said:

Possibly double bass?

But playing electric bass makes you invisible.

Bass myth. Playing electric bass makes you invisible. 

Lemmy, Phil Lynott and Flea would like word with you. 

• Like 2