Why become a member? ×

Bass Myths, share ones you've heard

shoulderpet

22 hours ago, Frank Blank said:

It is a myth that anyone who refers to their bass as 'she' isn't a complete w4nk3r. 

You're in good company here....judging by a magazine interview I remember from Edwyn Collins of Orange Juice fame. 

Edwyn claimed that he once punched the guitarist from The Alarm (I can't remember his name and I won't give him the oxygen of publicity by finding out) because Alarm guy expressed his admiration for one of Edwyn's guitars by referring to it a 'a beautiful lady'.

Edwyn does not seem to me easily moved to violence, but I guess you can only push someone so far.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Nail Soup said:

You're in good company here....judging by a magazine interview I remember from Edwyn Collins of Orange Juice fame. 

Edwyn claimed that he once punched the guitarist from The Alarm (I can't remember his name and I won't give him the oxygen of publicity by finding out) because Alarm guy expressed his admiration for one of Edwyn's guitars by referring to it a 'a beautiful lady'.

Edwyn does not seem to me easily moved to violence, but I guess you can only push someone so far.

This doesn’t surprise me having worked for a band who had a run in or two with The Alarm, suffice to say The Alarm had hairdos that drove usually tranquil people to violence.

• Like 1

A myth oft held by the non-musician public..... that if you play bass you automatically like any music featuring a famously busy or prominent bass player such as Level 42 or Red Hot Chili Peppers.

And if you are a beginner bass player, to recommend those same bass players (e.g. Mark King, Flea) as role models to whom you can aspire..... regardless of your musical tastes or genre.

• Like 3

12 hours ago, LukeFRC said:

I had come from a indie pop band and had the shocking idea of playing quavers with the odd passing note. That church’s band was not Prepared for that...

I know what you mean....

”Just single notes until the last chorus, please Malc”...

1 hour ago, Jus Lukin said:

Very good point! I once turned flicked the power switch and mimed a song at rehearsal, many years ago. Got the same complaint-

"Well, it's completely f*cking OFF, so you work out where it's coming from!" Heat duly shifted.

dangerous stunt! what if they turned around and said "hey! since we sound the same without bass, we can make a little more money if we fire this guy..." ;)

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Jus Lukin said:

Very good point! I once turned flicked the power switch and mimed a song at rehearsal, many years ago. Got the same complaint-

"Well, it's completely f*cking OFF, so you work out where it's coming from!" Heat duly shifted.

I’ve done that before. Been miming some crazy flea impression with the bass off....playing with my teeth....“can you turn it down”

1 hour ago, Baxlin said:

I know what you mean....

”Just single notes until the last chorus, please Malc”...

Yep, played in a Blues band where that was pretty much the schtick.

'What do you want on this one Stevie?'

'Just BOMP on the root note Phil'

9 hours ago, Maude said:

Bass myth. Playing electric bass makes you invisible. 

Lemmy, Phil Lynott and Flea would like word with you. 

Ok but only Flea could actually do so .... being the one who isn’t dead 

• Sad 1

2 hours ago, DiceSociety said:

"Good bass playing should mean you shouldn't notice the bass in the song"  - As I was once told during an audition...

‘But you’d sure miss it if it wasn’t there’ would have been a reasonable response......

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Silvia Bluejay said:

Petite lady? Get a Jazz bass, the neck is lovely and thin, you'll be fine. (Forget about the horrible, misshapen, heavy-as-hell body, though, will you).

This is one I have (second hand) experience with.

My wife is fairly short (5’ 4” ish) and plays a Precision. She really likes Jazzes but can’t get on with them because the body is so big.

Another good one... You can get away with murder on the bass. Though I think this one may be a bit true.

Edited by joeystrange

12 hours ago, Nail Soup said:

I remember seeing Edwin Collins live at a festival once. We were right at the front and it was the best comedy show I have ever seen. He first tried to stand on a monitor and it tipped over, then he stood on a bass drum and a roadie from the Levellers (who were on next) ran out and hauled him off. He then jumped off the stage to interact with the audience and couldn't get back up. Finally he introduced some guy who was going to play mouth organ. This guy came on and started ooh, oohing into the mic whilst glaring at Edwin. It was clear he didn't have his mouth organ with him. We were in stitches. I hear he has fallen on harder times now, poor sod.

• Like 1