Why become a member? ×

Four String Five String? Now NBD. Why is nobody surprised?

Skinnyman

2 hours ago, Skinnyman said:

George, darling, I thought we’d agreed that the George and Mildred soubriquets were only to be used on those ‘special’ evenings that, sadly, have been stolen from since this cursed corona wotsit forced us all into lockdown?

Sorry Skinnybabes, I'll stop flirting with you in public if it makes you squirm. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Grangur said:

With a nut width of 1.7" or 45mm that would be the same as a Warwick Corvette $$ 5er. I know someone on here who had one....

Was after the bridge string spacing though, which unfortunately didn't seem to be provided. 

2 hours ago, mr4stringz said:

I love having a bass strung BEAD and have had one this way for 20 years or so. 
Can’t comment on any other makes and models but it worked a treat on the two mid-90s Japanese Precisions I’ve done it to.

Do you buy 5 string sets or do you just tune your E string down to B? I only ask because the normal E string would be very sloppy tuned down that low I would think.

3 hours ago, ubit said:

Do you buy 5 string sets or do you just tune your E string down to B? I only ask because the normal E string would be very sloppy tuned down that low I would think.

Ernie Ball Beefy Slinkys (65-130). Had the nut filed for the wider strings. Plays and sounds a dream and always has.

• Like 2

On 29/06/2020 at 13:12, Skinnyman said:

George, darling, I thought we’d agreed that the George and Mildred soubriquets were only to be used on those ‘special’ evenings that, sadly, have been stolen from since this cursed corona wotsit forced us all into lockdown?

But you make a good point - our guitar chap has both a Helix and, er, the other one - can’t remember it’s name, not a kemper anyway - and he really likes them. 

So now I have a quandary.

Option one. Play songs in such a way that a fiver is not needed.

Option two. Retune one of the less-used basses in the stable to BEAD and hope there’s no need to climb up to the G string (oo-er, missus).

Option three. By an inexpensive fiver with narrower string spacing to see if that works.

Option four. Get a fancy floor unit such as Osiris describes and pitch shift the problem away.

Option five. All of the above in stages over the next few months.

Given my propensity for GAS (which has kept many BC members furnished with high-quality, barely-used basses and amps at knock-down prices for several years now), I think we can all see where this is going to end up, can’t we boys and girls?

Btw I agree that replacing the bridge on a 5 string bass to allow narrower string spacing may not be an option - mainly 'cos you no longer have your old 5ers!

But in any case, setting the string spacing to 16.5mm on a bass neck designed to cater for 18mm or 19mm spacing is not going to make the neck width any slimmer and you'll just have 'awkward' fretboard space on either side of your B and G strings. And as @Kiwi mentioned elsewhere, there is also the issue of pole piece alignment, particularly for the bridge pup. 

The Helix multifx, mentioned earlier, is very good at pitch shifting and does so without noticeable latency. If you don't want to spend that much then a Digitech Ricochet would be worth checking out, but as much as I love my Zoom multis, which are amazing bang for your buck, one thing they don't have the processing power to do well is pitch shifting!

Edited by Al Krow

Swift update.

BEAD stringing is brilliant!

I had to tweak the action a little but I’m really pleased. 

However....

This thread has reignited my GAS for a five string and - taking all the input on board - I think I’m going to try a nice, light, (and cheap) 34” scale fiver. At the moment it’s a toss up between an entry-levelish Ibby of some sort or (slightly wider spacing) a Yamaha TRBX305.

(Looks wise, I absolutely love the Yam TRBX605 in red burst but I must be strong and stick to the budget).

So... basses are going to be sold to make room in the rack and as soon as they’ve gone I’m off to Gear4Music in York to have a noodle on theirs before I hand over any cash. I know, it’s an unusual approach but I should try it at least once, right?

In the meantime, I can carry on having fun with BEAD tuning.

Thanks everyone for their inputs!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Al Krow said:

Good man. An Ibby or a Yammy? Hmmm...not going to find me objecting: that's 50% of my herd, right there! 

I think I’ve read just about every post you’ve made about them while I’ve been looking at the options and whittling down a short list so Thank You! 😁

One thing I’m still curious about - are the necks the same size/profile on the BB and TRBX? Specs seem similar but I’m getting the impression that the TRBXs are a little lighter than the BBs?

32 minutes ago, Rich said:

Just thought I'd steal the Luddites' thunder :lol: 

I'll have you know I recently joined the neo-luddite bass club*, chairman @dodge_bass. Membership currently open.

*for folk with an aversion to PC editing of pedals (although I still do when I must) and use of anything midi...

• Like 2

On 28/06/2020 at 01:45, fleabag said:

I'd be looking for a 35" scale bass if i was tuning BEAD

I wouldn't.

I would just go for a 35 if I found it more comfortable, certainly wouldn't do it for any other reason.

On 28/06/2020 at 02:05, Skinnyman said:

And I should have done a search for “BEAD” - apologies

I think that would be my preference - that said, there are plenty of 34” fivers out there and many of them seem to have a perfectly usable B.

My best b string is on a 33". Never got the 35" thing, it is just an arbitrary measurement, the 34" scale to start with was just a guess.

So does it have to be BEAD? Can it not be drop C, like queens of the stoneage stuff? Like everything down a tone, and then the bottom string down another?

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Woodinblack said:

So does it have to be BEAD? Can it not be drop C, like queens of the stoneage stuff? Like everything down a tone, and then the bottom string down another?

I suppose it could be but the problem I have with this (and with drop D) is that it alters the relationship between the notes across the strings and my little brain can’t cope with change like that at my advanced age. It expects that, whatever note I play, the fifth, fourth, sixth - all the other notes of the scale - are in specific places in relation to to it. Downtune a string and those relationships go out of the window and I am left floundering.

So, for me with, my limitations, tuning to drop anything is just not an option.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Skinnyman said:

I suppose it could be but the problem I have with this (and with drop D) is that it alters the relationship between the notes across the strings and my little brain can’t cope with change like that at my advanced age. It expects that, whatever note I play, the fifth, fourth, sixth - all the other notes of the scale - are in specific places in relation to to it. Downtune a string and those relationships go out of the window and I am left floundering.

So, for me with, my limitations, tuning to drop anything is just not an option.

Makes sense. It seems very much when you listen to 'drop whatever' song, they are often playing that tuning. As you said, as it breaks the relationships between the strings it makes the songs a bit imobile

26 minutes ago, Woodinblack said:

My best b string is on a 33". Never got the 35" thing, it is just an arbitrary measurement, the 34" scale to start with was just a guess.

Anyone remember the Overwater C Bass? For those that don't... back in the 80s, Overwater produced a 36" scale version of their gorgeous Original bass tuned C-F-Bb-Eb. IIRC it was originally made as a custom instrument for Andrew Bodnar when he was in the Thompson Twins live band. This was before 5-string basses became ubiquitous, and bassists needed an instrument that would go down low enough to allow them to compete with the synth basslines that were all over music at the time. The C Bass was a good interim solution, but it didn't catch on particularly well and was soon discontinued, although I believe they'll make you one if you ask them nic£ly. I don't know if they were all fretless, but all the ones I've ever seen are. 

CBASS_3.jpg

• Like 2

On 28/06/2020 at 11:48, lownote12 said:

I tried BEAD because it seemed such a good idea.  Loathed it.  Muddy and rubbish.  Just get a five string, check out online advice on how to play it, then play it. 

That depends on the bass. I strung different basses in BEAD. Some could take it and sounded great, some -indeed- sounded muddy (or 'watery'  as I described it). The ones that sounded muddy I re-strung in EADG and sold. All my basses are in BEAD(G) now. I love it.

• Like 2

On 28/06/2020 at 20:48, Maude said:

Interesting because after all these years of playing and trying all sorts I've never really considered whether a neck size has a bearing on tone, don't know why. I much prefer a skinny neck and I wonder if I'm missing out on something by not having a big old baseball bat of a neck. 

I’ve played loads of baseball bat necks and owned a few. The best sounding-basses I’ve ever played/owned have very slim necks. I wouldn’t worry about it. 

• Like 2

I’ve found, The strings make a difference , the one jazz  I have that’s permanently detuned  BEAD, has labella deep talking on, which sound fine because of the tension, but if I detune another with LTF’s , it just doesn’t work, fender flats also work well,        I can’t speak for rounds as I haven’t used them since 1984 🙂

• Like 2

On 30/06/2020 at 21:41, Al Krow said:

Btw I agree that replacing the bridge on a 5 string bass to allow narrower string spacing may not be an option - mainly 'cos you no longer have your old 5ers!

Aaron Armstrong could probably help with a replacement set of pickups not too far away from the Smith spec.

BEAD is a great tuning but this whole discussion made me want to go try out a Yam TRBX or a Cort Artisan B5.

Today I delivered Mrs S to meet a friend of hers in York. First time they’ve met since lockdown began so I offered to make myself scarce and let them have some proper catching-up time. What to do with a few hours to kill in York? Zip out to Gear4music, that’s what...

I tried the Yam. Very nice but didn’t really excite me. No Corts in stock so I had a little go on an Ibanez SR305 (similar weight, same string spacing) thinking that if I like it I might take a punt on a Cort mail order.

And very nice it was too. So nice that I started trying some of the other Ibbys. All very nice but the one that just spoke to me as soon as I picked it up, the one that absolutely sang when I played it was this one...

B464DFFC-1200-4DC4-B49B-7ED4E4B560B2.thumb.jpeg.74462a6ca02c8e979aa7460546eaa0e6.jpeg

09D6E16A-0770-4535-8358-43889EA95098.thumb.jpeg.6d7ce1ffe212584c0b62ab1c90f8ed95.jpeg

SR1345B Premium

Nordstrand pickups, narrow spacing, reasonably light weight, bloody lovely

Hence, this is now a NBD thread.

Edited by Skinnyman
  • Like 5

Very nice! 😎

My OCD is intrigued by the headstock - the bass has the B and E tuners on one side and the A, D and G ones on the other, which isn't what usually happens on 5ers. I've got B, E and A on the same side on all my 5-string bass guitars (the NS NXT5 is different).

Gorgeous bass all the same. :)

• Thanks 1

Just now, Silvia Bluejay said:

My OCD is intrigued by the headstock - the bass has the B and E tuners on one side and the A, D and G ones on the other

I know. Weird, right? I’ve been trying to tune the A string to E all evening. 

• Haha 1