Why become a member? ×

Recommend me a 15" cab

radiophonic

8 hours ago, radiophonic said:

Yeah. I nabbed it. Not sure how I'm gonna conceal that fact domestically, but it seemed too good to miss.

You will be very very happy. Its not that big, it's soo light and it sounds amazing. 

On 27/06/2020 at 23:09, radiophonic said:

I'm in the market for a S/h 15. Ideally with an HF horn but not essential. To be used in conjunction with a  2 x 10. I'm using a Hartke LH500 head, so I need 8 Ohms. 15s seem to be pretty unfashionable these days. I'm after something with some headroom - 300W ballpark. I'd prefer something a bit compact but lightweight/neo isn't a priority. I've been looking at an SWR Son of Bertha and a GK. A Hartke HyDrive would be ideal but they seem to be unavailable even s/h. What would you recommend? 

Out of interest why do you want a cab with a 15" driver?

IME you can't assign a given sound to just a particular size of speaker. I would say speaker construction, cab design, size and porting have far more impact on the "sound" of a cab than the diameter of the speaker cone. Certainly whenever I have had different cabs with the same speaker size(s) and configuration they have all sounded completely different. Also if your bass goes through the PA your choice of cabs is mostly irrelevant.

Here's my 15" cab which I have for on-stage monitoring purposes only. For the bigger gigs where I know there is going to be excellent PA support I don't even bother bringing it.

preview_1.jpg.50124e54b0b12047f15cdb6558472790.jpg

You'll be amazed at how light it is. I bought one of mine on here and went to collect it in my van. It was the only thing in the back and was standing up./ I went round the first roundabout and was alarmed by a bang from the back. When I looked round, it had fallen over!! Not used to the idea of a bass cab falling over.

6 minutes ago, Steve Browning said:

You'll be amazed at how light it is. I bought one of mine on here and went to collect it in my van. It was the only thing in the back and was standing up./ I went round the first roundabout and was alarmed by a bang from the back. When I looked round, it had fallen over!! Not used to the idea of a bass cab falling over.

Yep, I assumed Barefaced had forgotten to install the driver when I first lifted it, much like when my Super Twin arrived I assumed they'd sent me an empty box. The weight of these cabs is ludicrous! Silly thing is I'm still using an SVT-II, so despite using Barefaced, my whole rig still weighs around the same as a Brontosaurus

Edited by Beedster

Well it's arrived. Fortunately it's not physically much larger than a 2 x 10 so it's nicely inconspicuous. Based on it's weight, it appears to be made out of fresh air too. Unfortunately the cable I ordered hasn't showed up, so I can't try it out. Grrr. 

1 hour ago, radiophonic said:

Well it's arrived. Fortunately it's not physically much larger than a 2 x 10 so it's nicely inconspicuous. Based on it's weight, it appears to be made out of fresh air too. Unfortunately the cable I ordered hasn't showed up, so I can't try it out. Grrr. 

Oh no! That's frustrating. 

Make sure you ask a band mate for help lifting first time you take it out. Make a big show as you grunt and heave getting it out the car. Then laugh gaily as they nearly throw it over their shoulder! 

5 minutes ago, stewblack said:

Oh no! That's frustrating. 

Make sure you ask a band mate for help lifting first time you take it out. Make a big show as you grunt and heave getting it out the car. Then laugh gaily as they nearly throw it over their shoulder! 

I was thinking more along the lines of getting my children to roadie for me.

• Haha 1

Cable arrived. This is the sound I was looking for. Quite old school thanks to the lack of tweeter and the port is moving a lot of air too (the DOD Meatbox certainly put the port to good use - and I didn't worry about blowing anything). With a P-Bass it's just a nice big round but very clear bass sound. Adding a Hartke 2 x 10 gets me some clank back if I need it and also raises it off the ground.  It's clearly an efficient driver since my amp is non master volume and the noise floor is noticeably higher than with the 10s. It's also very loud. I'm recording again at the weekend so I look forward to putting a mic on it and seeing what's going on in the mids. 

• Like 3