Why become a member? ×

Recommend me a 15" cab

radiophonic

I'm in the market for a S/h 15. Ideally with an HF horn but not essential. To be used in conjunction with a  2 x 10. I'm using a Hartke LH500 head, so I need 8 Ohms. 15s seem to be pretty unfashionable these days. I'm after something with some headroom - 300W ballpark. I'd prefer something a bit compact but lightweight/neo isn't a priority. I've been looking at an SWR Son of Bertha and a GK. A Hartke HyDrive would be ideal but they seem to be unavailable even s/h. What would you recommend? 

Just a question really, why do you want a 15?

I'm not one of those that thinks you can never mix speakers, but it's an unpredictable business. It's not just the ohms that need to match, the speakers need to have the same loudness or sensitivity. Otherwise one will just dominate the sound. Mixing cabs isn't a predictable thing either, you can't just add a 15 for 'more bass' as some 2x10's can have more bass than some 15's. Some don't of course but how will you know until you've tried them? The other thing is that you might expect mixing speakers will give you a blend of both, it rarely does. 

If you just want extra volume getting a matching 2x10 makes more sense. It'll also give you more headroom so you can boost your bass eq a bit more if that's what you want to achieve.

Of course buying a 15 gives you three options both speakers separately and together. That'll give you three different set ups and sounds which is fun. the other thing is that 15's are unfashionable and therefore cheap on the used market. I couldn't give away my old Peavey 15 a couple of years ago and stripped it down for spares. Looking out for a Hydrive at the right price might be your best bet, you keep the all Hartke look and end up with what you want not a compromise..

The only way to get a good mixed cab system is to go out with your 2x10 and amp and to try them together, some will sound horrible, some combinations lovely and most a bit meh. Is this a good time to trail around shopping or visiting socially distancing strangers? It could be a good time to keep an eye on the used ads and maybe put up a wanted ad for that Hydrive.

• Like 5

depending on your budget - if tight the ole Peavey 15" BW cab was the best I have owned. Big old box but that is the Physics of it, a really good driver with large vented voice coil, front ported etc etc. Dirt cheap second hand. But If you have some more cash and a bad back i would go with the Barefaced suggestions above.

I agree with Phil.

My experience with 15" cabs is they are a nightmare to work with when room acoustics aren't helping. I was using a 115 and later a 215 and I really hated both. The projection is awful I could never predict if I would be able to hear myself on stage. Since I do not really like the character of most 10" cabs (weaker mids unless it's an Ampeg fridge) I went for 12" cabs and never looked back. I do also use an SWR Henry the 8x8 in the rehearsal room which sounds really nice, but those are pretty rare.

So in your place I would flog the 210 and look for a nice 212 or two seperate 112 cabs instead of mixing sizes. 15" speakers are unfasionable nowadays for a good reason.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, stewblack said:

Yes yes yes.

Acquired a Laney N115 today - to go with an N410. These are brilliant Cabs and are very well matched both have LaVoce compression HF drivers. Studios where I picked this up use N210 & N115 combined with the SL head in most of their rooms. More on that in another thread, v impressive combination.

Edited by JottoSW1

I'm not sure I agree with the idea that 15's are unfashionable per se. OK, 15s are seen less often on stages and are easy to buy cheap etc, but that's true of all big cabs these days, 4x10/6x10/8x10 all fall into 'unfashionable', but this is a cabinet size thing, not a sound thing, we're simply all getting used to smaller boxes, so it's big cabs, not 15s per se, that are unfashionable. Certainly, that modern 10s and 12s are far better able to deal with the sonic territory that used to be the sole reserve of 15s is reasonable grounds for saying that bassists don't need 15s in the way they perhaps used to, but not necessarily for saying that there's something wrong with 15s per se as is suggested in one post above (there are good 15s and less good 15s of course). They still very much have their place if you have the space and like the sound. And the Compact is a very good example - I was tempted by the one above as I fancied a 2xCompact rig but that's more a want thing than a need thing, no-one needs a 2xCompact rig unless they're playing stadiums! 

Edited by Beedster
  • Like 4

15s are absolutely fine. Most PAs will contain either a 15 or 18 sub (as well as tops) so some of the sound goes through a 15 or 18 anyway (with the rest going through a 10 or 12 top usually).

Edited by la bam

44 minutes ago, Beedster said:

I'm not sure I agree with the idea that 15's are unfashionable per se. OK, 15s are seen less often on stages and are easy to buy cheap etc, but that's true of all big cabs these days, 4x10/6x10/8x10 all fall into 'unfashionable', but this is a cabinet size thing, not a sound thing, we're simply all getting used to smaller boxes, so it's big cabs, not 15s per se, that are unfashionable. Certainly, that modern 10s and 12s are far better able to deal with the sonic territory that used to be the sole reserve of 15s is reasonable grounds for saying that bassists don't need 15s in the way they perhaps used to, but not necessarily for saying that there's something wrong with 15s per se as is suggested in one post above (there are good 15s and less good 15s of course). They still very much have their place if you have the space and like the sound. And the Compact is a very good example - I was tempted by the one above as I fancied a 2xCompact rig but that's more a want thing than a need thing, no-one needs a 2xCompact rig unless they're playing stadiums! 

Oops!! 🙂

2015-05-24 08.03.21.jpg

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, la bam said:

15s are absolutely fine. Most PAs will contain either a 15 or 18 sub (as well as tops) so some of the sound goes through a 15 or 18 anyway (with the rest going through a 10 or 12 top usually).

Am loving the Laney N115, It's teeny light and has a lot of oomph. In fact startling on it's own with the Trace and tweeter on full. Weird to be able to carry a 15" cab 1 handed.

2 hours ago, JottoSW1 said:

Am loving the Laney N115, It's teeny light and has a lot of oomph. In fact startling on it's own with the Trace and tweeter on full. Weird to be able to carry a 15" cab 1 handed.

I'd have snapped that up if I'd had been near Birmingham- top bargain.

5 hours ago, Dan Dare said:

Did you buy the BF Compact in the Market Place? I notice it's sold. If so, thank you. I kept looking at it and could feel myself weakening, despite the fact that I REALLY don't need any more gear.

Yeah. I nabbed it. Not sure how I'm gonna conceal that fact domestically, but it seemed too good to miss.

• Like 3