Why become a member? ×

Taking a PayPal payment for an item to be collected...

binky_bass

3 hours ago, nilebodgers said:

Isn't there a loophole if the buyer has funded paypal via a credit card and then claims that the credit card was stolen/compromised? I thought the transaction could be reversed in that case.

In this case the buyer was - allegedly - proposing to pay using PayPal’s credit terms so it’s not an issue. 

This is the approach that’s being taken by a BC colleague in another thread that’s been active recently - He bought a bass which has never turned up but because he (at the seller’s request) used F&F, PayPal have refused to cover him. 

The question is now whether the CC company will reimburse him. I have my doubts. In the case of PayPal, you use your CC to add to your PP balance. The CC company can claim that they have no interest or liability for what you bought with that balance. If PayPal refused to honour the balance for some reason, you could claim against the CC but they won’t cover anything you bought using PP as the payment method. 

I don’t know for sure but I’m guessing that this will be the argument put forward. I am waiting to see how the other case plays out....

• Like 1

I know you're all sorted now but I'd just add that when selling and taking PP payment then yes, proof of shipping and delivery is the only thing PP want to see in a dispute, but also make sure you send it to the address linked to their PP account. I have been asked to send something to someone's work address as they won't be at home to take delivery, in fact I've asked others to do the same for me, but got stung once. One buyer asked me to do this but then later claimed not to have received it. I had the courier details and proof of delivery including a copy of the signature but PP said you've sent it to the wrong address. PP said they understood that it had been delivered and signed for but not to the buyer and refunded him. 

So courier only for PP payment, and only to the registered address. 

I've officially told the buyer that I'm removing myself from the deal, they seem to have taken it fairly graciously. I think it's for the best, I don't like leaving myself open to issues wherever possible so alls well that ends well! 

• Like 4

4 hours ago, binky_bass said:

Well, overnight I've actually had someone else make a better offer on the Warwick and wants to collect today and pay via BACS transfer... 

I'm a whole lot more comfortable with this arrangement. Much safer for me.

I do feel a shade of guilt if I pull out from the other sale, but being paid via PayPal for a collection just doesn't sit right, as per confirmation from all of yourselves.

No brainer then, glad you got a safer option.

6 hours ago, Beedster said:

If you don’t trust the buyer, courier is your only option.

However I’ve done this loads of times without problem, because I generally trust bassists! On one occasion I had cold feet so I took photos of the buyer in my house and of his car parked outside, but there was no problem. I also had messages via eBay indicating time of collection, and I sent one just after he left asking him to confirm collection and he did. You could ask your buyer to do this before he leaves perhaps?

Also, PayPal are not above the law, if you have proof in the form of a receipt and/or photo,  if things turned sour the threat of legal action would likely release your funds.

True, but imagine the hassle if it came to that.

I'd rather wait for a safer sale.

53 minutes ago, binky_bass said:

I've officially told the buyer that I'm removing myself from the deal, they seem to have taken it fairly graciously. I think it's for the best, I don't like leaving myself open to issues wherever possible so alls well that ends well! 

Result.  Out of all the options apart from cash in the mitten, thats the only safe alternative

• Like 1

One small, nit-picky point...

People talk about bank to bank transfers and use the term “BACS” but, for consumer to consumer transfers such as we now do using online banking, the payments go through the Faster Payments System (FPS). It’s a small point but there is a significant difference. A BACS transfer can (theoretically) be cancelled before the money gets to you. An FPS transfer can’t. 

In most cases a Faster Payments transfer hits your account immediately and is non-repudiable. If the sender wants to cancel they have to get their bank to raise a request from your bank and is a load of protracted hassle that a scammer wouldn’t want to get into. 

Sometimes - and I had this recently - a payment can take up to two hours to be credited by the receiving bank. Up to that point, it could be rejected. In my case, we figured that a large amount of money from the buyer’s account to a new payee (me) had flagged up on the bank’s fraud/AML systems and the transaction had ended up on somebody’s queue to check on. As it was a BC member with good feedback I was, in this case, prepared to let him take the bass but be aware that a payment that has been sent can still be rejected (if the banks suspect fraud for example). Only once it’s received into your account is it safe. 

The latest version of FPS being rolled out insists on a verification of the account holders name before it makes the transfer which adds an extra level of verification. 

Sorry. Just realised I’ve been rambling. It’s an age thing. Has the drinks trolley been round yet?

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Skinnyman said:

The latest version of FPS being rolled out insists on a verification of the account holders name before it makes the transfer which adds an extra level of verification. 

That's arrived a couple of weeks back for my bank, and gave me a right laugh. Transferring money to a colleague who was doing a collection at work.  We all know him by a short, single syllable,  perfectly reasonable name. It verified the name on the account with his full name including a wonderfully florid middle name. Much teasing 😄

• Like 1

It could have been totally legit. For eBay I'd probably give it a miss, but on here, having only good experiences, personally I'd have taken the buyers feedback as a reference.

I'm not really shopping at the moment, but if one of the couple of higher value things I've promised myself came up it's a request I might make myself. I usually do bank transfer, but had an email from PP Credit a couple of weeks ago offering 0% for 12 months. That's probably something I'd take advantage of if possible, their usual thing is 4 months interest free, so it's a decent promotion. Of course I'd understand if the buyer didn't want to risk it though.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, NickD said:

could have been totally legit. For eBay I'd probably give it a miss, but on here, having only good experiences, personally I'd have taken the buyers feedback as a reference.

It’s not clear from the OP whether the buyer was a BC member or not - I assumed it was a sale outside of BC.

I’m with you in that my trust levels are much higher when dealing with established members of the BC community. 

• Like 1